RkyMtnHigh

I applaud you!

I am so proud of those of you who are finishing your Masters Degee and/or Doctorate....I am so sick that I stopped at my Master of Pyschology and only four more classes to go...but it's so freakin expensive to finish it out. Let's jjust say I complete my maters...then what?

I went straight to graduate school after under-grad. I had my MBA 2 years later. It helped in the level of pay I earned.

But, I hit my head 1 too many times and now I'm as dumb as a stump.[:/]

Chris

Are you employed in the field? I thought that in psychology you needed to have a masters to be employable in the field. So that is what you could get!

I will need to get my masters to become a certified clinician. I'm trying to keep the grades high so I can just be a TA or an RA through grad school so I can get tuition free.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Over the pond with you guys it does seem to be marketable, but in this country, (well Scotland), it doesn't really make much difference to be honest...

What you looking to do next?

Not sure that if I "finish" the Psych Masters, then PhD that I would want to practice. Around here it takes soo long to become established in the field. If I did pursue it, it would be for the enjoyment of the field, not for money. There isn't much money to be made as a Psychologist.

Sounds good....I would trade enjoying my job over money any day!

Just out of curiousity, what does "then PhD that I would want to practice" mean?

Do you need a phd to practise?

Yep, you need to be PhD'd to practice here. I agree that I too would prefer for job satisfaction as a trade off vs making lots of $ and hating what I do.

......but it's so freakin expensive to finish it out. Let's just say I complete my maters...then what?

Katee, Katee, Katee....you're a smart lady...I don't need to tell you about student loans, grants and such...go for it, girl. I mean WTH, what's a few more dollars of debt after you've gone this far? Think of the additional opportunities that will open up.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Do they pay more to people who have PhDs or is it simply a requirement you have one, and they pay you what they like...

From my research on the field, you have to have the PhD and the pay is really low until you're established. Sort of like starting out as an attorney here, you start out as the "grunt" until you make a name for yourself.

Keep going! That's awesome! Can't do much with a BS or MS, but a PhD is marketable.

That would depend on the field of study.
There are currently 3 Ph.Ds that live and work on this DZ.
We lost an additional one (who is also a rigger) to NC. (Yeah Steve you know what you're missing):P:P

I will be done with my masters on March 28th!! I am so excited to be done, however, school is addicting... at some point I would love to go back for my PHd or law school....

You still have some time in life.... dont give up on your masters yet!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

I don't know what you want to do, etc.

And I hope I don't get flack for this statment.

But, it's always been my opinion that unless you're going to be cutting someone open with a scalpel, as doctor's do, or defending someone that might serve a life in prison, as lawyers do, or teaching our future generations about the world, as teachers do (and maybe a couple other possibilities I can't think of at the moment), then I don't see the point in graduate school.

In sales, you can make more than all of the above AND not have the debt of graduate school. Even if it's not sales, there are plenty of other jobs in your desired field that would most likely still hire you (depending on your qualificiations) w/out graduate school so you still get the job you want minus the added debt.

Of course, I'm biased to sales, but in positions I interviewed for experience counted for more (after a degree of course) than graduate school. None of the above wanted to hire anyone w/out some sort of working/related experience in a professional atmosphere.

Anywho....just my two cents;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I don't know what you want to do, etc.

And I hope I don't get flack for this statment.

But, it's always been my opinion that unless you're going to be cutting someone open with a scalpel, as doctor's do, or defending someone that might serve a life in prison, as lawyers do, or teaching our future generations about the world, as teachers do (and maybe a couple other possibilities I can't think of at the moment), then I don't see the point in graduate school.

In sales, you can make more than all of the above AND not have the debt of graduate school. Even if it's not sales, there are plenty of other jobs in your desired field that would most likely still hire you (depending on your qualificiations) w/out graduate school so you still get the job you want minus the added debt.

Of course, I'm biased to sales, but in positions I interviewed for experience counted for more (after a degree of course) than graduate school. None of the above wanted to hire anyone w/out some sort of working/related experience in a professional atmosphere.

Anywho....just my two cents;)

Good point...plus there are times when you are considered as "overqualified" once you have a Masters and/or PhD on your resume meaning "we can't afford you":S

Let's jjust say I complete my maters...then what

get a job..........

doesn't have to be in your field, but if you aren't going to do anything else then that would be what to do....... ormaybe get a degree in another field... lest say "underwater basket weaving"... then you could be a military officer with the weaving degree... lol.....

***Let's jjust say I complete my maters..

Maters! Make me a 'mater sammich with mayo, salt and pepper! :S:P

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"