flyingferret

St. Patty's in Chicago?

For those of you in Chitown, help me out. I can get a cheap-ish ticket ($220) to Chicago over Saint Patty's weekend. I have a few buddies up there, and I always love going up there.

BUT...for some reason...it sounds like all the festivities are the weekend before, even though St. Patty's is on a Friday. So those of you that are up there help me out. How much will still be going on on the 17th? Will everyone be greened out by then, and just another friday?
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

There will be plenty going on on St. Patrick's day in Chicago. Are you kidding? In Chicago? The parade might be the weekend before, but that doesn't mean every bar won't be celebrating that night.

Personally, I tend to avoid the crowds so I couldn't give you any specifics, but I can guarantee that the city will not be partied out!

I thought Dublin, GA was the place to be over St. Patties day? :P

I thought Dublin, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland, is the place to be for St Patricks? :o:PB|

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I thought Dublin, GA was the place to be over St. Patties day? :P

I thought Dublin, County Dublin, Republic of Ireland, is the place to be for St Patricks? :o:PB|

Do they have Skydiving there too?
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Do they have Skydiving there too?

To be honest, i don't know about dropzones in the Republic of Ireland herself. The ones on the island that i know about are in Northen Ireland, Wild Geese in county Londonderry, and a military DZ.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

The City parade is always the Saturday before St Pats unless the holiday falls on a Saturday. The South Side Irish Parade is always the Sunday before St. Pats unless the holiday falls on a Sunday. The two parades will be on the 11th and 12th this year.

We tend to party both weekends and every popular Irish pub will be busy.

The downtown parade is in Grant Park. I'll most likely be on one of the first floats again this year (just like the last 10 years). It's an incredible view of the city and some people stay down and party afterwards. The tough part of this is that the parade is far away from everything and it's a hike back to any bar. Usually we do the march and go right to the bar. Not sure what we are doing this year as our place to party closed today after 103 years :( (yea, we went to a German bar after the parade)

The South Side parade has a different feel and tends to be where you go to meet up with everyone you grew up with, went to school with, etc. The parade route is on Western Ave along the Beverly Crawl where there are 11 Irish Bars. Drinking tends to start about 10am that Sunday.

Metromix will have a good listing of Irish Bars on their site any day now. Depending on what you are looking for, there are different types. From Bourbon Street, QUigleys and the Beverly Crawl on the South Side.....to Emmits, Fado, the Abbey and others closer to downtown.

Just a note. St Pat's parade is almost always freezing cold. It doesn't matter how warm it is in the days prior....9/10 years it will be miserable. Be ready to dress for it.

Thanks for the full advice. I will be there and enjoy the 17th regardless of the missed parade.

FYI, yeah my buddies know, but I am a planner they arent. I have found it helps to know more than they do when visiting :) When you live in a city, sometimes you go right past stuff.

Metromix is great, but the bulk of information is REALLY hard to sort sometimes, they should allow you drill down better in searches.

As for GA....meh...there is more to life than skydiving...shocking I know, but true. A trip to GA, would cost me WAY more than my $200 to Chitown :)
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.