councilman24

VSE Riser and toggle photo?

Hey,

Lots of folks have said good things about VSE risers and toggles. I have a customer coming over in a couple of hours and would like to consider buying VSE risers for her. Can anybody supply a photo or diagram of the system? Didn't see anything in the manual online.

Thanks
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Here ya go!

Front Dive Loops are just a continuation of the T17 folded back and again. We have a little flexibility here and have used 1" Type4 to form the front dive loop, if you prefer.

We swage an AMP fitting to the hard housing and then a grommet holds the fitting to the riser.

Any comments, let me know. If I didnt capture a good picture of what you wanted to see, let me know as well.
-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment

Terry,

They are 1" Type3 Tape.

Chris,

They are 22" standard (generally measure closer to 21.5" after shrinkage from sewing). We can make them any length in 1" increments. We can even make them if you dont currently jump an Infinity, just let me know what side the RSL ring needs to be on.
-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment

I have a set of 25" risers from VSE with custom ordered dive loops. I can't say enough good things about the risers. All in all I really like the risers and they have worn really well over the last season of abuse. Actually, they have held up better then the past risers I've had from various companies.

The only complaint is that the retention system for the excess brake line, but with some tweaking on how I like to stow my brakes and it works good enough.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nothing new, just adding that as a rigger I love these risers and think they're some of the best and most durable out there.

I've seen way too many hard housings working their way out of the cable housings over the past few years on other risers and have re-tacked more than I can remember. To me the all-in-one housing, amp fitting and grommet is an ingenious and elegant construction method.

-D

The only complaint is that the retention system for the excess brake line, but with some tweaking on how I like to stow my brakes and it works good enough.

I know a guy who had a rigger remove the tape on his VSE risers and sew on elastic. Now they're the perfect risers. If I had VSE risers I'd get the same thing done.

Although I know one rigger who would probably try to argue that in order to do that, you'd need approval from the factory, the FAA, and a master rigger doing the work. :P

I also fold the excess loop and stick it in the tape. It never came off, not even once. You would probably have to fold the excess loop anyway with the elastic. Before I had VSE, I had risers with elastic and after a while, the elastic had to be replaced because it was becoming too loose.
Laurent - www.RhythmSkydiving.com

They seem (to my inexperienced eye, at least) to be similar to the Vector risers, with the difference being the VSE risers using a reinforced section of the toggle instead of a pin.

Edit to add - I think the AMP fitting/grommet is a damn fine idea!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One trick you can do with the tape brake line holders is fold up your brake line and put it into the holders before you put the bottom toggle tab in.

This lets you make a thicker fold of brake lines (e.g. triple-folded instead of double-folded) that you can fit in without much trouble (before the toggle tab is inserted) but is retained more tightly during operation.

Personally, I just stopped caring whether my brake lines escape once in a while (they usually don't, and if they do it's usually only part of them) and use my eyeballs to make sure I don't put my hand through any brakeline loops while grabbing the toggles. (Yeah, I only screwed that one up a couple times. :P)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Is it possible to run the excess line through the tape, then back over the bottom keeper, similar to how it's recommended for the Tru-lock toggles on the Vector? It seems like a possible solution to what has been said about the tape not holding well, if people don't go to an elastic loop.

Still and all, based on the responses and the pics... I think I've found my next risers... of course, as seldom as I just it'll be about 10 years before I wear out my CURRENT ones, but still... ;)

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

what sort of lifespan do risers have? i cant say ive ever thought about ever replacing mine, or thinking you would need to.

where are the important places to look for wear, or more importantly, what are the main tell tale signs they need replacing?

maybe im being a bit dumb, but i thought my slinks were the only thing on my risers that would need changing.

thanks in advance for any info.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Some manufacturers will say that risers need to be replaced every 200 jumps (or some other fixed number). IMO, they are just being overly conservative and looking to make a little more money on riser sales;) Typically, you want to keep an eye on the lower end of the risers- the loop, the folded sections of tape/webbing that hold the rings in place, and the area around the grommet. The webing tends to get pulled out from under the grommet as the riser get loaded repeatedly and stretches, the other areas tend to see wear from packing (the rig getting drug while the risers are against the ground).

VSE on Facebook

The risers I'm replacing for a customer have velcro toggles. The hook velcro on the back riser has damaged the front riser on each side. Enough along the edge that I suggest to the customer that she might want to replace them. Also they are 11 years old and show some other wear. But the velcro damage on the edge of the type 17 webbing is the main issue.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Kelly - are there any plans to replace the plain webbing loops for the excess line with elastic, or is it possible to specify that when ordering?

Just curious for when I need to order new risers (which will, admittedly, be a while).
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Is it possible to run the excess line through the tape, then back over the bottom keeper, similar to how it's recommended for the Tru-lock toggles on the Vector? It seems like a possible solution to what has been said about the tape not holding well, if people don't go to an elastic loop.

The attached picture is what happened when I tried that. It was my fault for putting my hand through the loop of line before unstowing the toggle, but IMO that method makes it easier for it to happen.

Kelly - are there any plans to replace the plain webbing loops for the excess line with elastic, or is it possible to specify that when ordering?

I'll look into it. Initially, I wasn't real happy with elastic for various reasons, but it doesn't hurt to revisit things once in a while:)
VSE on Facebook