julesshrew

Admitting that you skydive

I'm compiling an update to my CV the debate is declare skydiving or not?

Obviously it will be something that I cant hide indeffinitely (and certain jobs it could be a positive) but what experience has anyone had, do you think the perceived danger of the sport will be detrimental

These days, I tend to leave sport and social topics off my CV ... leaves things more open and gives you a better chance to get through the first sifting process.
Also, a lot of people think that your C.V should only hold relevant work related information.
Anything else can be raised at interview.

Oh.... unless of course you're going for a sport related job.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

No way do I put it on. If it were somehow related to a job I was applying for (not likely) I would consider it but at best, it's a distraction on your CV.

The whole purpose for a CV or resume or whatever you want to call it is to get an interview. Everything on it IMO should be directed toward that goal. If skydiving somehow fits into that, then go for it. Otherwise, I say leave it off.

Walt

Just to be helpful, here's another recent thread in which the same thing was discussed. Lots of interesting points of view.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1957106#1957106

Personally, I'm in the "no" category - usually not relevant to the job, and while some whuffos might be impressed, it might distract from your credentials. You'll also get some people who will presume you're reckless or weird, or being a braggart for putting it on your resume. So, on balance, I would say, in most instances, "no".

But as you can see from the other thread, opinions are all across the board.

If it's in the life insurance industry, the person interviewing you will probably think that, according to his stats, you are probably more likely to die while in his employ, than someone who collects stamps, which could be detrimental to your chances.
[:/]
Tell them after you get the job if it comes up.

- Citizen of the World -

when I read a guys CV that applied to work for me once who stated that he was 'President of the Anti-Skydiving club' I couldn't not interview him

Well now, that's an intriguing bit of bait. Did you ever find out what that was all about?

I won't reveal the info to a potential employer or during jury selection; In both cases it can potentially hurt way more than it will help.

But I find it useful to admit to manifest that I skydive. That first jump of the day is so much easier and less expensive if they know about it. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Cheers and apologies,
Jon S.

I have to disagree with most of the posters. I have it on my resume and would recommend that you put it on yours. This is especially true if you can relate lessons learned in skydiving to the position/environment for which you are applying. Also, having done a fair amount of recruiting, I would say that it helps to have something that differentiates you from other similarly qualified people (I have selected people for interviews because they were skydivers, in addition to being qualified applicants). Finally, I see it as an important bit of self-selection. Meaning, you would most likely be happy and productive in an environment that considered your personality to be a positive.

Just my 2 cents.
I am the captain of my soul.

Fresh out of college, I included on my resume that I was the president of my university's skydiving club as an example of leadership experience. During the "experience" interview (step 2 of 3) I talked about how I got started, what made me decide to be the president, what kind of things it involved, challenges, etc. During the other interviews, the people appropriately ignored that I was a skydiver.

In college I also liked playing video games... and drinking... but I didn't bring these up because they're irrelevant. While Halo and Beer-Pong often got very competitive (and I excelled at both) this was not the type of leadership they were talking about.

The next time I have to update my resume I'll likely take the skydiving club off as it'll have been a while and they'll want more recent examples.

On a side note, did I miss something? what was wrong with calling it a "resume"? I mean... "curriculum vitae"? "the course of my life"? That sounds a little overly dramatic to me.

On a side note, did I miss something? what was wrong with calling it a "resume"? I mean... "curriculum vitae"? "the course of my life"? That sounds a little overly dramatic to me.

I've always heard the term curriculum vitae used to refer to a more detailed resume, most commonly used in academic circles. For most jobs, the term "resume" is still appropriate.

Yep yep

In his words (with a few bits from between the lines) the Uni he was at was at had a skydiving club and when they got back form their days jumping they all got together and discussed the days events over a beer or seven. The other students (felt left out so) set up the 'Anti skydiving club' and arranged to go bowling etc (I gathered that it was so that they would have things to talk about too)

Or as a rumour I heard later The skydiving club got a grant to help with the costs and everyone else was bitter.

This morning in a C-Section, the Obstetrician and I were talking about biking. He suggested that we go for a ride some weekend. I said, "That'd be great....on a weekend when I'm not working and when my child is with his dad....oh, and when I'm not skydiving." :D He looked up, horrified, and said, "What?" LOLOLOL! The look on his face was priceless. But if I were applying for a job with him, I don't think he would've been impressed if it were on my vita. As it is, I'm a potential referral source, so it doesn't matter what he thinks....heh.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Apologies for dredging this thread up again (but hey, it's better than irritating the re-post police ;))
I am about to go for my first job as a primary (elementary) school teacher. Do I include skydiving on my personal statement? I was edging towards no...but I have been on the executive of the uni club for a year...and that looks good, right?
Don't want to miss out on the chance to talk about a position I've held - but neither do I want to seem 'reckless' in what is a highly responsible and often a very 'safe' profession.
Thoughts?

p.s. Although the instructors won't help with this one, I will ask a headteacher. Just wanted your thoughts.

"I have done that," says my memory. "I cannot have done that," says my pride, and remains adamant. At last, memory yields. - Nietzsche

Tell them you can teach the kids to PLF properly :P

oh yeah and...

but neither do I want to seem 'reckless' in what is a highly responsible and often a very 'safe' profession.

also tell them you don't BASE... yet :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I work in advertising, i wear shorts, tee shirts and sneakers to work, i guess we're expected to be a little off centre so i have a bit about me at the beginning of my CV. It includes where i've travelled and my skydiving habits.

Then again, my whole career is based on my potfolio, not my CV.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I've never included it on a resume', (if you were a part of other clubs, etc. leaving out the skydiving position would probably not hurt you), but in interviews I've played it by ear/gut whether or not I mention it.

My current position---when I was interviewing a little over a year ago---I saw a picture in my now manager's office of a military plane, a Harley, etc. So I made talk around those things and took interest (I actually was interested, but whether I am or not, I always mention interest in a potential employers obvious interest in something that's decorating his/her office). He mentioned jumping and I felt comfortable at that point, to mention my experience.

He thought it reflected very well on me for the sales position I was entering.

He even calls me now on a gorgeous day and says "Hey, you've already met quota...just between me and you....I mean...it's beautiful today":D

I'd go with your gut feeling.:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Tell them you can teach the kids to PLF properly :P

:D

Thanks guys.

"I have done that," says my memory. "I cannot have done that," says my pride, and remains adamant. At last, memory yields. - Nietzsche