Helix

What to do in DeLand

Hi. I'm going to DeLand for two weeks++ and I've searched the web trying to find out what this place has to offer besides skydiving. I know I will have plenty of time to check it out when I get there, but i would be very happy if someone could give me pointers to what's hot and what's not. I'm thinking things to do after a long day of skydiving.:)
"minds are like parachutes. They only function when open."

watch skydiving video's
talk to skydivers about skydiving
play with skydiving toys, rigs, parachutes, sliders
Sleep in the plane
dream about skydiving
play on the creepers
Play with bungees

Am I weird, I did not think there was anything else to do in DeLand but play with the toys at the DZ.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Lets see, tour PD, Relative Work Shop, Alti 2 ......wind tunnel is in Orlando. 45-60 mins away. LOTS to do in Orlando. I went for a 4 day weekend....and it was rainy till sunday and I still didn't get bored. The bar is great there. Great people, great vibes!

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

We have booked time in the tunnel and we are saving PD and similar things for rainy days when we can't jump. I really want to do some non skydiving related things in the evenings. It's my first time to the US and it might be my only time so I don't want it to be "just another dropzone" (one I have paid 30 000 NOK to visit (just under 3000 dollars):S

Oh, I see what you mean. Well the bar at the DZ is all there really is as far as I saw for "nightlife".

Daytona Beach is around 20 minutes east. Just on the other side of I-95. I figure there would be LOTS of things to do there. Clubs, bars, movies, etc. Orlando would have even more...but its closer to an hour. Daytona is very close. But skymama, or another local, could probably answer this question better than me. Hope you find something!!

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

Here's the Volusia County tourism website:

http://echotourism.com/

Daytona Beach has plenty of nightlife, and everyone on the dz can tell you about it, but if I were you, I'd PM Mixoligist and ask him.

As for Orlando, it is farther to go, but there is quite a bit to do there.

Are you coming for team training or with friends to fun jump?

And what do you enjoy doing?

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Downtown DeLand isn't too bad, I was just there at the end of February. There is also a nature park -Blue Springs, Daytona Beach is near by, you could check that out. Or, DeLeon Springs state park and the Old Spanish Sugar Mill. Also, talk to the locals once you get there, I'm sure that they'll have more suggestions. Have a great trip!

Meet some hot chicks on the dropzone and I am sure they will show you the night life!

Let me know how you do, I am planning trip for end April.

Enjoy! It is a wicked place.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Hi hi I AM a chick :D so I'd rather meet some good looking guys.
You could call it team training, we are about 35 skydivers from Norway coming to a basics trainingcamp with the Norwegian national team, Arcteryx.
Thanx for the hints on what to do :)

Deland is a sleepy little town, I hope you're going to have a car!

For nightlife, definitely head out to Daytona Beach. Downtown Deland is good if you just want a quiet bar to shoot pool in or something like that. I always just stay at the dz bar, but it gets quiet at about 9:00 every night. If you want to stay near the dz, The Airport Bar is just around the corner, and stays open later.

For daytime activities besides skydiving, there is a ton to do. The beach is pretty close and we also have natural springs that you can tube down or you can even go ride on an airboat on the St. John's, the only river that flows north! Of course, we have more theme parks than you would ever want to visit and a ton of Outlet shopping malls. About an hour away is St. Augustine, America's oldest city. It has a cool waterfront shopping area with bars in it too. I love going up there.

When are you coming?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

hello helix....

first let me clear some things up....
daytona beach is actually 45 minutes east...
20 to 95 from deland, and then another 25 from 95 to a1a....

the st johns river is actually one of 2 rivers in the world that flow north..the other is the nile..

lastly there isnt shit to do in deland, besides skydive... hope you have a vehicle

one of my favorite things about florida, is that (almost)everywhere in the state is less than 6 hrs away... miami, tampa, orlando, etc...

and, if you ever want a "play" day of jumping, there are a few who jump onto the beach one hr north of deland, whenever... weekdays included, land at the bar, pack, repeat... ask the locals, or pm me for more information...

skydiving,basejumping,beachjumps,scuba,springs,kayaking,fishing,sailing,trailriding....the list goes on

florida is fuckin cool, you just have to know where to look....

the st johns river is actually one of 2 rivers in the world that flow north..the other is the nile..

You're right, I should have clarified that to say the US. Give me a break, it was before I finished my morning coffee. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you like really good food and service, a bit pricey but worth it. Try Pondo's outside of DeLand.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

The fish camp just west of Deland. You can rent a sweet little cedar cabin right on the water and rent a boat and take a really cool trip on the water. Just don't wreck a boat like I did. The Volusia county cops are ASSHOLESB|>:([:/]. Check and see if my truck is still there if you make it.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Hei Kristin. I've lived in DeLand for over 10 yrs now (yikes!) I think DeLand is one of the few drop zones around that actually has something to do when there's bad weather. The town w/ all sorts of food and some bars within bicycle distance. It would be way better to have a car here, though, as public tranportation sucks and some nice things are within driving distance.

We have pretty decent sushi now at the Thai restaruant that is not far from the DZ. The bar at the DZ (The Perfect Spot) isn't the best but they have beer and wine and decent food - and internet computers for hire. There's another bar within stumbling distance from the DZ that also has liquor and is pretty popular w skydivers on some days (called the "Airport Bar"). There's a nice, more upscale wine bar in downtown Deland where skydivers often meet to relax and talk. There is all sorts of food to eat in downtown DeLand (Thai, French/Vietnamese, Italian, Cuban, basic cafe with real coffee + more). Some of the beaches are really nice (well, not Daytona for actually going to the beach). There's a movie theather in DeLand but that takes a car (or a long bike ride). There are natural springs (73c) that are nice to swim in within 15-20 minutes drive from the DZ. I second Skymama on St Augustine... you drive up the coast on the way, really pretty, great prices at the outlett malls up there too!

Some skydivers go golfing here, there's a course in Deland. But, doubt you're going to bring golf clubs!

If you get get sore from too much jumping, I know a good massage therapist :P (Me)

You should have someone set up tours of the different skydiving factories for interested people in your group. I know PD and RWS have tours daily.

It's always fun when the Norges invade DeLand. I'm sure you won't be needing too much entertianment off the DZ. Hopefully you can see some other parts of Florida, though.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy the warmth and sunshine no matter what. Bring sunscreen! Have fun!!!!

:)Well for skydiving you couldnt find a better place.
I was there xmas eve till 12th january.
Paxton at the freefly school is a great guy and i am sure will let you know about great places to go and also advise on beach jumping.
I found deland nightlife a bit sleepy but then was up early and jumping everyday so needed my sleep.
Everything outside of skydiving is only a short car journey away,theme parks just too many of them but great fun.Miami although a reasonable drive away is great for a night out and if you find a reasonable hotel or have a non drinker happy to drive then a great night out.
The florida keys about 6 or 7 hours drive away,at least,is well worth a visit and you can swim with the dolphins at the dolphin research centre.
There are 3 other skydive centres within a couple of hours drive and just to fill up your log book worth a daytrip to each when you are not team training or if its too windy at deland or too cloudy then conditions maybe better elsewhere.
Staff at deland are just great and i am sure they will point you and your friends in the right direction once you let them know what you want to see and do.
Have a great trip
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

The Orange County Choppers on TV is in California. :)
Alyssa

No sweetie. that's orange county, New York. Monster Garage, or West Coast Choppers is in CA.

I was spitting on the screen when old girl typed "California". OCC is in Rock Tavern, NY. Not far at all from the united states military academy at West Point.

I am one of a very small number of skydivers that have the blessing/misfortune of being able to say that I was born and raised in lovely Deland, FL and that it is my true "home DZ". I lived about a mile away from the DZ (the locals call it the "Airport" by the way, in case you get lost and have to ask for directions) for some 18+ years before moving away to college in Orlando and later to CA. Ironically, I never even thought about skydiving until a buddy bought me a tandem in Titusville for my birthday my 3rd year at UCF. I did come back home to do my AFF with Nikki, Nat, Pedro and the crew at Deland. Growing up in Deland I thought it was the most backwoods, tiny, boring town on the planet, full of nothing but big truck driving hillbillies and couldn't wait to get out. Now living in California sitting here reading all these posts about all the "cool stuff to do" and "nightlife" I kind of laughed to myself and realized that it could have been a lot worse and that Deland does have a little charm of its own, and is a great place to skydive. It's funny that to most people I meet I just say I'm from Orlando so they'll know where I'm talking about, but at any dropzone I can almost proudly say I'm from Deland without worry that no one has heard of the place. So here's some true insider info on Deland: 1) Scarily enough, every time I go in to PD I see at least 2 Deland High School drop-outs that I didn't think could even spell "parachute", sewing and assembling the canopies that are flying over our heads. Thank god for quality control and master rigger final inspection! 2) If you're going to be in Deland in April you'll probably need something to do besides jump seeing that it rains almost every afternoon. 3) Even though you're at one of the world centers of skydiving... the guy at the local Wal-Mart that's wearing the super tight blue jeans, cowboy boots, hub-cap sized belt buckle, Dale Jr. NASCAR T- shirt, and a bright orange camouflage hat will in fact think YOU look like the idiot in your jumpsuit or freefly pants and will have no idea why you're dressed that way. Just smile and nod as to not provoke the confused redneck. Anywho, everyone else pretty much covered all there is to do in the area. Bring plenty of sun-screen and a rain jacket and have fun.

-blue ones

"Give me some duct tape, chewing gum, and some Jack Daniels and I can fix damn near anything"