Freeflysmiley

This new parasport audible

If you are talking about the Skytronic GFX:

I bought a Skytronic GFX and had serious problems with it: Mine read accurately on the climb to altitude, but was way off on the way "down", e.g. it told me I just landed at appr. 1000 ft, opening data etc. was also wrong by appr. 1000ft.. Funny thing is, that it only happened on 4 or 5 of the appr. 20 jumps I made, but still.... I then returned it to Paragear for a replacement- the new one had the same problem- Paragear then replaced this one for a Protrack. The Protrack, of course, is working fine. It's really a pity because the GFX was much nicer to program/ use, but that does not really help if it doesn't work properly...

:-)

I've ordered one with the promise of being able to return it if I wasn't happy within a month.
First seen at PIA-Reno, I liked it. Heavy duty, loud (variable volume and frequency) and a lot of options. I've heard bad things about their earlier lines as well, hence my wanting to be able to return it. I'll post a review once I have it in hand.

When you get it, please comment on whether the software that it uses is upgradeable. If is has a bug that is discovered later, can you plug it into your computer to download new software or would it have to be sent back to the manufacturer?

The Neptune is one device that I can think of that has benefited from being easily upgradeable.

How would a person know if they were accurate?

well, you could look at your visual altimeter when the alarm goes off

So, how do you know your visual is accurate? People believe instruments waaaay to easily. Before you decide anything is accurate, you must define accurate. Then you have to figure out how to measure accuracy.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The Neptune2 has a countdown timer.

The features list is pretty disappointing actually... it doesn't seem to do anything a neptune doesn't do. And it can't be used as a visual altimeter. The neptune2 pretty seems to blow it out of the water as far as features go. If parasport audibles had a good reputation, it might not be so bad... but after the old skytronic... well... I wouldn't risk it.

Dave

RE: So, how do you know your visual is accurate? People believe instruments waaaay to easily. Before you decide anything is accurate, you must define accurate. Then you have to figure out how to measure accuracy.

I don't need an audible that is a visual as well, I have plenty of those.

I also am not very keen on some of the neptune's other features that I have seen... like auto mega battery drain, auto shut off in freefall, and the ability to give skydivers Matrix like abilities ie 1000 FPM climb rates while sitting at the bonfire.

:P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I don't need an audible that is a visual as well, I have plenty of those.

I also am not very keen on some of the neptune's other features that I have seen... like auto mega battery drain, auto shut off in freefall, and the ability to give skydivers Matrix like abilities ie 1000 FPM climb rates while sitting at the bonfire.

:P

Do you have a Neptune with firmware version 3.0+ ?