hackish

Holes in a reserve - to patch or not to patch?

I've found out that my reserve has 2 tiny holes in it. They are below the minimum size for requiring a patch and are in the top skin away from a rib or any other high stress area. I'm just wondering what the general opinion is on having these two holes patched. One is about 1/8" square and the other is about 1/16" and they are about 3" apart.

-Michael

Its shot. I'll give you $5.99 for it, plus pay for shipping...

:D

:P

:)

Reserves are packed in accordance with the container manufacturer's instructions, that is the prevailing guidance.

I think, as "marks" pointed out above, you might have meant to quote the advisory circular stating "... the contain manufacturer's instructions take precedence when there is a conflict between the two".

I understand what you meant, but others may take that and misunderstand it. There is a world of difference in the two statements.

AC 105-2c, paragraph 11A.

Mark, I'm not trying to be ignorant or split hairs that do not need splitting, but "... the contain manufacturer's instructions take precedence when there is a conflict between the two" has a much different meaning than "Gawain's" statement "Reserves are packed in accordance with the container manufacturer's instructions..."

We need to be so incredibly careful when we speak of things like this, because people less knowledgeable than us will not understand it properly.

If your reserve has a number of repacks on it, then it is probably not up to "new" standards as the porosity has probably degraded some. This does not mean it’s not within serviceable limits.

If would be nice to determine how the holes got there and if its the result of a larger problem (bad batch of fabric).

I can find alot more things to worry about on a skydive than a couple of pinholes in my reserve.

no but i am a distributor.

The reserve is my most valued and looked after asset. If it is in any way not up to new standards then i personally would buy a new one.

just me.

He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

I've be very concerned about finding out why the reserve has damage.

I think that this is the best comment made yet. If the holes are there due to "usual wear and tear" you need to question the integrity of the fabric elsewhere. I've seen holes in perfectly good reserve canopies for a number of reasons, and the two biggest bone-head ones are....

1. A slipped temporary pin and easily run through several layers of fabric and this is an extremely easy mistake for an inexperienced rigger to make, especially when trying to muscle a reserve container closed instead of using proper technique.

2. Over zealousness in pull testing. Yes, people do it. Don't know why, but people do it. [:/]
=========Shaun ==========

Reserves are packed in accordance with the container manufacturer's instructions, that is the prevailing guidance.

I think, as "marks" pointed out above, you might have meant to quote the advisory circular stating "... the contain manufacturer's instructions take precedence when there is a conflict between the two".

I understand what you meant, but others may take that and misunderstand it. There is a world of difference in the two statements.

I understand and agree with your point. In the presence of a conflict of instruction as it relates to assembly and/or packing of the major component, the instructions of the container take precedence.

There, I've restated it.

However, to the original post's comments, it is certainly worth looking at how the reserve is packed, compared to guidance from the container mfr, etc., as a difference may show if that's a source of potential damage to the canopy.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Why waste the money repairing a hole that doesn't need repairing? If you can't fit your figure through the hole it won't need repairing and really won't affect anything. ....

:D:D:D
I'm sorry..I can't help thinking about AggieDave trying to fit his figure through that hole...
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You buy a brand new reserve after every pack job?

If it has holes in it? Yes.

IIRC you fly, right? Would you fly a properly repaired aircraft?

Yes, of course. I get your point JP. But to me that little thought in the back of my mind before I step out the door..............well, I'd rather just buy a new one. Maybe for the same reason I don't mind flying a repaired airplane. Or unrepaired for that matter. You don't mind packing a reserve with holes in it on your back. You have several thousand jumps and you are comfortable with that. I have several thousand hours flying and I'm comfortable with flying airplanes with holes. It seems though that canopy flight is much more fragile.

Every reserve has holes in it. Needles make holes. That is one reason you can perhaps see that not all holes are bad, or necessitate trashing the reserve.

But I believe the needle seperates the weave and leaves the fibers undamaged, then under loading the strands will return to the proper orientation. With a burned area the fibers surrounding the damage must take up the load of the missing fibers. I would also be concerned that since this area has been melted, that it would be brittle and not stretch with the surrounding fabric.

I realise that this may sound like rationalizing to the worst case but the way I feel is that I know a patch works, but dont have a way to determine if a small unrepaired hole will work, it probably would but I dont know. And hackish probably doesnt eather or this thread wouldnt be here.

I can understand that uncertainty and concern.

If you possess the resources to replace it, then by all means, and I have seen damage on canopies that necessitate replacement, but I've also seen professional repairs that were just fine.:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Probably the largest influence on how the reserve does its job is going to be how well it is packed and don't worry I'll pack that sucker up carefully! Maybe this weekend if i go and pack it again I'll snap some photos.

You're a rigger?

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

If you possess the resources to replace it, then by all means, and I have seen damage on canopies that necessitate replacement, but I've also seen professional repairs that were just fine.:)

So far I have not had any issues with unexplained holes in my reserves. Since I buy new gear and I watch each and every repack (working on my rigger ticket) I think my reserves will last quite a few years.

So far I have not had any issues with unexplained holes in my reserves. Since I buy new gear and I watch each and every repack (working on my rigger ticket) I think my reserves will last quite a few years.

you do know that WATCHING each and every repack does not count ? :)

Probably the largest influence on how the reserve does its job is going to be how well it is packed and don't worry I'll pack that sucker up carefully! Maybe this weekend if i go and pack it again I'll snap some photos.

You're a rigger?

Need a reserve packing test and some paperwork. By the time it needs to be packed to jump the answer will be yes. The reason I posted the question here is that there are many many combined years of rigging expertise and I've only studied technical things plus done the rigging course and a number of supervised repacks.

Interestingly though someone did point out that 2 holes necessitate a patch. While I would be willing to jump a rig that the manufacturer says does not need a patch this does not seem to be the case so it will go off to PD for the necessary patch.

-Michael