denete

HANS for skydiving?

Last time I was at the dz, i thought I saw a jumper wearing a HANS. Do you know of anyone doing this, or any pros/cons to using a HANS device?

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

It's a little hard to look at the formation your flying in when you can't put your head back. A little tough to look up and check your canopy too. :P But it seems that at one point one of the pro photographers with a really heavy camera load was using something like this. This was before the NASCAR HANS was out but it had the same effect.

IMHO if you think you need one eithe you shouldn't be jumping or you should change the equipment.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Sounds like protection vs skills balance.
From time to time I see people snowboarding with the ass pillows, body protection and so on and they are just doing simple rides (no half-pipe or anything out of ordinary). It encourage them to go fast and jump when they are not ready instead of working on controlling speed and skills.

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Je9&q=snowboarding+protection&btnG=Search+Images
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I was thinking that maybe the guy had some "life-long injury" for which he wore it.

Kind of like wearing a knee-brace or ankle brace. You don't need them to walk around, but they may protect a weakened joint in the event of normal skydiving impacts.

Maybe I'll run into him again and ask. It sounds like his must be an exception.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I've never seen anyone wear a HANS device but Lazzlo down in ZHills wears a sort of neck brace and Oren and his girlfriend both use Motocross neck braces that would look very similar to that. I talked to Oren about his and he swears by it. Anyway, I'm sure you could contact them and find out what they think the benefits are.

I believe that Oren and his girlfriend wear Neck rolls like found at the bottom of this link: http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Mens_Shoulder_Brace_and_Neck_Collars_s/1722.htm

Anyhow, like I said, I'm sure if you were to call Skydive City and ask for Oren he'd be more than happy to talk to you about it.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Last time I was at the dz, i thought I saw a jumper wearing a HANS. Do you know of anyone doing this, or any pros/cons to using a HANS device?

- David

Were you at Z-hills when you saw this? If so it was probably me that you saw. It is not a HANS device it is a simple collar. Superfletch posted a link that is just like what I use. I have had neck problems for years. My girlfriend had cervical fusion a few years ago. We both wear them and find that it helps a lot. Especially during the opening. It helps with the whiplash effect. I still have pretty close to a full range of motion wearing it. I can see everything that I need to see. All I can say is that after a weekend of jumping my neck used to be extremely sore. Now it feels normal. Since we started wearing them a few months ago, there have been a whole bunch of people that have bought them and started to jump with them. Everyone seems to think it helps. I can post a link to the one I use if anyone is interested.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Sounds like protection vs skills

I got my motocross soft collar after asking one of the Golden Knights about his at Nationals. I'm fairly sure that his skill set's up there.

I've had cervical fusion and along with a remaining herniated disc I am always one bad opening away from never jumping again. Think of the collar as a precautionary tool that could help in the event of something nasty happening or even just the regular wear & tear from openings. It stops my head from snapping all the way back or forward. There's enough give for normal movement since the collar's just foam and it in no way affects my ability to see under canopy, while doing 4-way, AFF or whatever else I'm up to in the sky. As Oren noted above, it attaches with a velcro strap across the front so I could and have easily removed it under canopy and stowed it in my jumpsuit in seconds.

Now that I'm reading and understanding where you come from, it suddenly doesn't sound like "skills vs protection" balance anymore. It totally makes sense.

I also hope that you can agree with me that the average skydiver shouldn't consider using one just because s/he's afraid of a face plant on a nil wind day while landing his wing.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!