SkydiveStMarys

Bad language

Flippin. It MUST be flippin.

I will flip my shit if you say the other one more time, mister

Oh...and the song is "Freedom", not "Think".

Get with the program, son

OK, I'll give you 'flippin', but not 'Freedom'. Aretha would not be pleased.>:(

BTW, whatever happened to that bitch who stole your graduation jump tickets? I'm still flippin pissed at her.>:(

Chris

words are just words to me. sometimes nothing gets the point across like profanity, i.e. if i say "darn it, i am so mad" it just doesnt have the same impact as "i am so fucking pissed off".
course its up to you to allow your kids to say it or not, but understand they are filthy-mouthed when you and other adults are not around regardless.

best explanation i have seen on use of profanity is the courtroom scene in From The Hip (Judd Nelson movie) when he argues before the judge that the word "asshole" is unique in its meaning and should be allowed in court.

edit to add this post is in no way shape or form an endorsement to watch that drek. just because it has one good scene you shouldnt subject yourselves to the mindnumbing other 90 minutes.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Oh my gosh I don't even remember what you're talking about.

:D

Must not have had a big impact on me. I probably found some hottie to buy me more jumps....

(My hunny = hottie to me)

OK, so I bought him a thing or two, too.

Well....not bought so much as gave....

Not gave so much as a bl....

:$

JUST KIDDING;)

Or am I?:P

This if fun. Let's keep playing.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Oh my gosh I don't even remember what you're talking about.

Now I'm hurt. You don't remember a certain cyber-hottie...hint, hint...who bought you a couple of jump tickets for your graduation?:(

Chris

two words: manual labor

lots of it

i received the hand, the belt, the ass whoppin, the soap, the lectures, the priest (and the confessional time), hell i even received the "we're taking you to the police station". none of these had the impact that manual labor did. seriously, treat the kid like a second rate inmate and send them outside with shitty tools, and an impossible task to accomplish. when they come in whining (as i would) send their ass back out there *without* the shitty tool you gave them in the first place. seriously. my parents would follow this up with "we're training you for your future, based on your actions, you'll be lucky to hammer nails/dig ditches for the rest of your natural life"

i think, because my dad was career military, he was a big fan of the manual labor. i can recall many funny stories
- him with beer in sun chair, me with push mower (not electric, not gas, PUSH)
- him with another beer, in the middle of the night, while i'm drunk as hell and sick, trying to weed the garden (punishment for returning home drunk/late)
- i was once sent into the backyard to "dig ditches". i wasn't allowed to return until i was "finished". i spent all day out there. at the end of it all, my reward was to fill the holes back in. i spent the rest of the night doing that, by flashlight (remember shitty tools!)

and on and on.

you can't whoop his ass like ditch digging or fence painting can ;)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Does anyone understand why I got this pm (the 4th in a very strange series):

:S

I wish I were kidding.

Dude...pls stop with the pms. I don't play that game.

Or in your language:

Hommie don play dat'.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Josh here...you are the one who in the PMs has such a problem with the n-word, yet my two friends from Kenya counsdier YOU a racist, because they can't be called "my niggas," because they're not African-American..they are Africans, on a student-exchange program.

WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, CAN MY DARK-SKINNED FRIENDS FROM KENYA NOT BE MY NIGGAS, JUST LIKE I'M THEIR BLOND-HAIRED, BLUE-EYED NIGGA?

I got the great soaping at school..Of course that was before there were lawsuits and schools could do more back in the day.

I think the schools stopped doing it after one or two kids had reactions from the soap and died.

It's kind of a stupid punishment anyway. If you want want to punish a kid, take away their Playstation or TV viewing rights.

My dads punishment was always something like dig a ditch from here to there 1ft deep. Didnt get to go inside till it was finished. After inspection i had to fill it back in >:(

It really sucked because i knew what i was doing was pointless

Not only will you look better, feel better, and fuck better; you'll have significantly increased your life expectancy. --Douva

Tobasco Sauce

Safe and effective.

My 10 yo LOVES tobasco. That would never work. Hehehe...

My kid tried it when he was like 6... we simply used "the tone" with words like "don't you ever" and walaa. Problem solved.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

we simply used "the tone" with words like "don't you ever" and walaa. Problem solved.

Growing up, I never had my mouth washed out or got hit by my parents, our big fear was the "lecture" from my dad because he was very good about reducing our self-esteem down to the size of an ant's! As we got older, we joked that we wished he would have hit us and gotten it over quickly than to get another lecture!

So, I do what you do Lisa, and it works very well. I've never done any of the things mentioned in this thread other than taking their favorite things away from them when they broke the rules. I give them the boring lecture about how their behavior is a reflection of me and our family's morals and values and tell them to respect how I am trying to raise them with class. I'm sure they cut-up and cuss amongst their friends, but in public and around adults, they most certainly do not act up. They're probably in fear of getting another one of my boring lectures. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ditto. My son cringes when I start a sentence with the tone.

I like your tactic about telling them how it reflects on our family and our values, etc. I'm going to work that into the routine. =)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

My son cringes when I start a sentence with the tone.

"The tone" is a wonderous thing! Now that my daughter is 17, she's knows the tone in 2 seconds and will say, "I know, Mama, I know!", before I can even finish my sentence. So, I'll ask her what it is I'm about to say, and 90% of the time she gets it right!

I'm going to work that into the routine.

Nice! Let me know how that little guilt trip works for you! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ditto. My son cringes when I start a sentence with the tone.

Here, Here... My dad never spanked or physically punnished me... but damn he wasn't scary just the same cause... cause he was never in the wrong for yelling at me and boy did he have a temper (he used the occasional colorful metaphor in his scoldings too...)

I do hope that I have more patience with my childern (the ones I hope to have one day :P) then he seemed to with me on occasion... of course I could be "diffcult" at times... :D

We have a great relationship now though. I think it suprises him that I've been able to flourish in the military.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Anyone else get their mouths rinsed out with something nasty when they were a child because of what spewd from it??

Yes. My dad didn't use the shaving mug of soap (with a shaving brush, no less, to create lather) that mom gave him, so she used it to cure me of saying "dirty" words like "shut up." (Seriously!) I'll have to admit that I did have a flashback to those experiences the first time that I performed oral sex on a girlfriend in the shower.

Did it cure me of cursing? Of course not. But it did cure me of ever wanting to buy anything that said "Old Spice" on it.

My grandmother, on the other hand, had a far more civilized approach to dealing with little boys who said naughty words. When she caught me doing that one day, she very calmly and sweetly looked me in the eye and told me, "Son, if you can't open your mouth without saying something profane, please just keep your fucking mouth shut!"

Well, when I was a kid and picked up a swear word (don't remember which one), my mother sat me down and we had a talk about it. She said that there is a time and a place for curse words, and the point of using a curse word is to make an impact, and that curse words, when used too often, lose their impact. We'd just watched gone with the wind, and she pointed out that if Rhett had been cursing all through the movie, his parting shot of "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." wouldn't have had nearly the impact.

She talked to me about using insults to hurt people, and said that when you insult someone, you put them on the defensive, which makes it a lot less likely that you'll get what you want.

I was then threatened with having to copy a page from the dictionary to improve my vocabulary if she ever heard that word again, since she would assume that if I did it again, it was for lack of knowing a better word.

:P