mrmanta

packing a spectre

do any of you roll the nose when packing a spectre or does it open slow enough just pulling the slider over it?

The Spectre is famous as one of the softest opening canopies out there. What would be the point of rolling the nose?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

FWIW, with about 2500 or so packjobs, I really don't ever roll the nose on any canopy unless it's the following :

EZ-384
Sabre 1
Hornet
Monarch
Triathlon

I maybe leaving out one or two but IMO really any modern canopy should open plenty soft with just correct slider placement. (and deploying at the proper airspeed with proper body position)

as above, I used to really trash pack my Spectre as it was a 135 being forced into a container built for a 120 - as long as the slider was evenly distributed forward/back/left/right I always had soft openings.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I've actually had owners of Spectres tell me to leave the nose pretty exposed and not to roll the tail too tight because the openings were TOO long. I have never heard anyone tell me they got slammed by their Spectre, or ask me to roll the nose.

Usually people are pretty vocal about how they want their canopy packed. I've gotten to the point where if they don't ask me to do anything special, they get the same packjob as anyone else. Rare occasion - original Sabres. However, I've found sometimes that rolling the nose doesn't help anything.

Triathlons.. are just weird. I jumped one for about 80 jumps and never knew what it was going to do on opening. One of the camera guys that I pack for always asks me to roll the nose on his. I sometimes think that Gelvenor fabric can cause weird openings. The fabric can get so sticky that I think it starts to open, unsticks and slams the hell out of you. They are easy canopies to pack, though. That's for sure..

Just to throw it out there, hardest canopy I've ever packed was a Spectre 230 that had MAYBE 10 jumps on it. Man, I struggled forever with that canopy. It sucked!!!

I know my jump numbers are low but I own a spectre and regularly pack them for others at the dz. I have a spectre 230. I don't roll the nose at all on mine or any others that I pack. Even without rolling the nose, mine takes an average of 800 ft to open. I've never had any complaints about someone else having a hard opening on a spectre i packed for them.

...Triathlons.. are just weird. I jumped one for about 80 jumps and never knew what it was going to do on opening. One of the camera guys that I pack for always asks me to roll the nose on his. I sometimes think that Gelvenor fabric can cause weird openings. The fabric can get so sticky that I think it starts to open, unsticks and slams the hell out of you. They are easy canopies to pack, though. That's for sure..

Then there's something else going on with the canopy, if it's the canopy at all. YOUR Tri is weird...it's only one of hundreds that show that behavior.

The material has little, if anything, to do with it.
Sticky? Wash the candy off your hands before you pack.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Triathlons.. are just weird. I jumped one for about 80 jumps and never knew what it was going to do on opening. One of the camera guys that I pack for always asks me to roll the nose on his. I sometimes think that Gelvenor fabric can cause weird openings. The fabric can get so sticky that I think it starts to open, unsticks and slams the hell out of you. They are easy canopies to pack, though. That's for sure..

I have to agree with popsjumper, it's your canopy. I jump a tri and the fabric is awesome to pack. I roll the nose and pull the slider way out over the nose and get soft on heading 700' + openings every time.

It's not my canopy any more B|

Yeah, the fabric sticks IMO. I have taken it out of the d bag and it just stays in the s-fold shape, for as long as I had left it there. The fabric literally had to be pulled apart at times.

The camera guys I mentioned is getting old and kind of raggy. He asks me to roll the nose and I do - sometimes it works, sometimes he gets slammed. I recommended he get the canopy checked out. I never rolled the nose on mine. Only got slammed twice, but the openings were never consistent.

The Spectre 230 was just slippery as hell and BIG. I think the container was a tad small for it, too. It was a bitch to pack. Oh, and the d bag was one of those split ones.. can't stand them.

Believe it or not, I always complained about my Spectre-135 opening too fast. I tried methods to slow it down, but all it did was screw it up more and made it start off heading openings.

I finally went back to the PD Spectre manual and followed what they advised, except I did -not- roll the nose. The openings slowed down and are beautiful now.

If you skipped this step (like I did), take another look: http://performancedesigns.com/docs/MainUsersManual.pdf

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I bought a Spectre 230 earlier this season and have been wondering about the openings myself. After I had it attached and jumped it the first time it took ~1200ft to open. This was packed by the rigger, who likes softer landings, but I didn't like the fact that I had enough time to sit there and curse at the canopy before it was fully open. Spectre is a very popular canopy at my home DZ so I've heard probably every variation of the packing method imaginable, and I'm still not sure what I should be trying. Right now I push the nose in and pull it back out about 75% of the way and my openings are at ~800-900ft. Is this a good distance or should I try not tucking the nose at all?

I bought a Spectre 230 earlier this season and have been wondering about the openings myself. After I had it attached and jumped it the first time it took ~1200ft to open. This was packed by the rigger, who likes softer landings, but I didn't like the fact that I had enough time to sit there and curse at the canopy before it was fully open.

I don't know about you, but I like soft landings.

:P
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters