regulator

Just got my 'A' license and a new Altitrack...Now I need a helmet

I just finished my 'A' license and now I'm looking for gear. I got a brand new Altitrack for christmas (what an awesome girlfriend huh?) and now I'm looking for a good helmet. I'd prefer to get a full face, but was curious if one would be applicable if I went to the 'Dark Side' (freefllying). I'm still a rookie and wanted a little advice before plopping down over 300 bucks for an Oxygn A3. Which is what I was looking at getting. (and yes I know the A3 is for an audible alti) I plan on using 2 altimeters at all times. One on my wrist and an audible in my helmet. Would this configuration be suited for freeflying and perhaps when I've got my 'D' license wingsuit flying as well? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I thought it was important to be able to stick your tongue out for freeflying... Must be for controlling the airflow or something. Usually seems to be done right after exit in tight groups. Someone does it in every freefly video I've seen. I assume he's helping control the group like an RW organizer might use his legs to put the base back on heading. That freeflying is complicated stuff.

Dave

What makes you want a full face?

I would avoid the Oxygn A3 as you'll have trouble with the visor before long in the freefly airflow. A better choice from SkySystems is the non-flip up Factory Diver.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I started jumping with an open face and when I went to a Z1 I still sometimes would stick my tongue out and shake my head on exit. After the jump the other guys would ask why I shook my head. They thought there was a problem. Still haven't gotten totally out of the habit yet. Maybe they should make a full face out of clear lexan so you can see your tongue when it sticks out.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Try jumping a/each fullface first to see if you even like them, I bought a Z1 helmet which impeded my vision a good deal plus it flew open in a stand-up so got rid of it after only a few jumps on it.

For wingsuiting I prefer an open helmet for my fellow flockmates, too much fun to mouth words etc and I can see the other person better. But a fullface does work.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If you have a small or smaller head, I like the fit of the Z1. But I have been able to fit a lot of head shapes well with the Mamba by Bonehead. The interchangable lining is helpfull.

We have plenty of people freeflying in fullface helmets. Where are you located? Can you try a few out?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

If you are settling on an Oxygn (taking the other arguments into account) then do consider the A1. The only difference that I am aware of is that the audible is internally mounted on the A1 (which I have) and frankly given how much they cost, I think that that is a GOOD thing...

Its not like I am looking at it once I put my helmet on anyway... :PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I just found out about the Havok and with all the complaints I've ready about the A-3, I have decided to change over to the Havok. I plan on ordering it soon before it warms up and I am able to get some jump runs with the helmet on to make my opinion complete about this helmet. But so far it looks like the way to go. Thanks for the help!

I'm kind of in a similar stage and looking at full faces. I'm more concerned with the field of view and peripheral of different helmets and don't really have anywhere that I can try some on and compare. Are some helmets known for having wide field of view or can anyone comment towards their's?

williammonk

Get a cookie G3.

You won't be disappointed in any way.

William.

Unless it doesn't fit.

To LJay - if you can try helmets on (even if you can't get to a gear store, ask around to see if you can borrow peoples' helmets), please do - full face helmet fit is very dependent on not just the size of your head but also the shape of your head/face. Cookie (and others) all make great helmets, but sometimes the size/shape of one brand doesn't work for your head, while another fits beautifully.

Or, if you are going to order online without trying it on, be prepared for it not to work for your head.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke