bch7773

One DZ doing a boogie to spite another?

Ok hypothetical situation:

DZ number 1 has a very large boogie for the first time.
A second DZ (in the general area) gets worried about the amount of people going to this boogie. They create a boogie of their own SOLELY to keep people from going to the first DZ's boogie.

lets say hypothetically that the first and second DZ's boogies are going to be the same aircraft, same prices, etc.

Should the second DZ have a boogie thats only purpose is to keep people away from the first DZ's boogie?

(since this is a hypothetical situation, no hateful replies from one-post trolls please)

MB 3528, RB 1182

If I get back in town in time I'm going to hit both of them up in the same day. With a shirt that has a quote from my sig. line. So when you see me say hi.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

It's a free market, which means that businesses can do whatever they want to -- it's how we get local gasoline price wars, too. I buy cheap gas when it's there. Even if the second gas station only put their prices down to stop business from going to the first one.

But it's kinda chickenshit for DZs; they depend more on customer base, and appearing small-minded won't help in the long run. If they did it just to spite. But, well, Perris and Elsinore have competing events sometimes, and it doesn't seem to hurt them...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Sounds like a Legitimate Business Plan to me.

You have a Competitor trying to lure your customers, Respond by offering a Reason for your customers to stay.

Kinda like price matching or in this case.. Event Matching.

It is easy for us to forget sometimes that DZ`s are Businesses.

***Should the second DZ have a boogie thats only purpose is to keep people away from the first DZ's boogie?

Though you asked this as a hypothetical, it has happened in the past. If I were a DZO I think I would try and support the other DZs boogie in hopes they would support mine in the future. There is a lot of competion out there for our dollars but I think there is enough to go around so no one has to get greedy.

We live in a capitalistic society and what is, or is not ethical is left up to individual interpretation.
I think we can take our sport farther if we try and work together instead against each other.

JMHO.

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

skymama...

shhhhhhhhh

Oh, like I'm the only one who reads that forum. I got 3 pm's about that thread!

My opinion...it's America, competition makes for a healthy economy and the jumpers will be the winners in the long-run.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yea DZs are a business, but been an asshole to stay in business is not the way. If I were a DZO and my neighbor DZ is having a boogie, I would go to their boogie. When I make my boogie, Ill expect the same from them.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Things seem to be a little different in the northeast. DZs all kinda sorta get along. Some people stick with one DZ, others move around between them. We even make some attempt to compare schedules early in the season to try to avoid conflicts, though we don't go out of our way to do that... only for major events. Heck, my DZ's jumpers just raised a bunch of money to pay for improvements at a competing (and bigger) DZ. I thought that was a little strange (I donated anyway), but it's really cool to see jumpers acting like a big community instead of a bunch of little independent competing businesses.

Dave

It would probibly make better business sence to hold off for a couple of weeks and have a boogie after the other one. Instead of making people choose.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

This one time.. when I was TWELVE.. my best friend and I were going to throw a big party for our birthdays. But we got in a fight and she decided to throw her own party so nobody would come to mine. But I had a POOL! haha!

Is it kinda like that?? :S:S:D

I heard you were showing your boobs at your party. thats why people showed..Hey just a rumor
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Seems if they hold the boogie the week before, they'll get the majority of the business and not give the appearance of undermining the other DZ.

Then jumpers could attend both boogies (even though the 2nd one wouldn't do as good because some people would get boogied out).

I like it when a few small DZs get together and jointly through HUGE boogies. Allows for more planes and more mixing.

It's just a business, gotta stay afloat. I think anything legal is allowed. Whether it's tactful or not is a different discussion.

It only takes one DZ like that in the area, though, to turn all the rest into the same flavor. Gotta admire those that don't respond in kind.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Things seem to be a little different in the northeast. DZs all kinda sorta get along. Some people stick with one DZ, others move around between them.

I wish the DZs I'm refering to could do that. But remember that all kansas DZs aren't like the current fighting ones.
The central kansas DZs get along just fine. They come to our boogies, and we go to theirs. In fact last summer, 5 kansas DZs got together and had a big cessna boogie that had a lot of attendance. big cessna formation loads = fun.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Here is my humble, unbiased opinion. I think DZ #2 should call DZ #1 and offer assistance, maybe even aircraft if available, and in return ask for assistance from DZ #1 in the future on a future boogie. That way it is a win win situation for both DZs. . .

There are a limited number of jumpers to go around and in this day and age we need to support each other. This only helps our small business known as skydiving. . .

PS. I could be wrong so DZOs can correct me here if they want to but as I understand it DZs generally do not make huge profits from boogies. They are done as promotional events to get people to jump regularly at their DZ. Most of the DZ money comes from tandems and new up and coming jumpers. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Perris and Elsinore had a solution for that. They developed a single boogie called "Dueling drop zones"
What we did we get together 4 way teams and loaded in Elsinores plane (those of us in Elsinore) and the Perris folks loaded theirs and flew to the other DZ and did their skydive. Then packed up and loaded up again and flew to the other. We did 4 rounds and the judges were at only one of the DZ's. They would get all the tapes and judge them for the winners and each year the opposite DZ would host the aftermath party. It was so very much fun! I wish they would start it up again.;)

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live