TaeKwonDoDo

Safety BSR: Minimum LZ Size...

Reading the SIM, I read the following:

"1. Areas used for skydiving should be unobstructed, with the following minimum radial distances to the nearest hazard:
a. solo students and A-license holders—100 meters

b. B- and C-license holders—50 meters

c. D-license holders—unlimited"

I read this as a circle with a diameter of 100 meters for A-License holders (effectively, a field minimum 600'x600').

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks.

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

"1. Areas used for skydiving should be unobstructed, with the following minimum radial distances to the nearest hazard:

I read this as a circle with a diameter of 100 meters for A-License holders (effectively, a field minimum 600'x600').

Thanks.

You've got something mixed up.

You say "diameter 100 meters", which doesn't seem right to me. Should be diameter 200 m.

But you also say 600' x 600', which is about the correct size for 200 m diameter.

I believe the correct diameter is 200 m.

Thanks.

You've got something mixed up.

You say "diameter 100 meters", which doesn't seem right to me. Should be diameter 200 m.

But you also say 600' x 600', which is about the correct size for 200 m diameter.

I believe the correct diameter is 200 m.

Me just being upid-stay.

Meant radius of 100M (dia 200M, or ~600'x600' square).

Thanks.

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

For tandems, does the D license rating apply (i.e., does the BSR provide for no specific dropzone size for tandems)?

The Tandem Instructor is a "D" licensed "Parachutist In Command" of the tandem,,,so the landing area is NOT Specified. Or should I say, Unrestricted.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

In practical terms, that means that tandems only aim for football fields (or bigger) with multiple outs.

What are you talking about??? USPA says that a D-Licensed holders landing area can be unlimited from the restrictions of other license. So there for you are allowed to land as close to an obstacle as you see fit.

>USPA says that a D-Licensed holders landing area can be unlimited from the
>restrictions of other license. So there for you are allowed to land as close to an
>obstacle as you see fit.

Yes. But in PRACTICAL terms it means they use very large fields.

It's like wind limits. As an experienced jumper, you can jump in 45mph winds. In a practical sense, your limit is probably not too much higher than student limits (closer to 20mph.)

>USPA says that a D-Licensed holders landing area can be unlimited from the
>restrictions of other license. So there for you are allowed to land as close to an
>obstacle as you see fit.

Yes. But in PRACTICAL terms it means they use very large fields.

It's like wind limits. As an experienced jumper, you can jump in 45mph winds. In a practical sense, your limit is probably not too much higher than student limits (closer to 20mph.)

I know that hence the TI/E designation on my license. The original poster asked if there were limits on the landing area for tandems,,,,so I responded accordingly. I know that safety is always a factor in any determination in your landing area but that wasn't the question in the thread,,,,the regulation was.

There's legal and there's practical.

It might be legal to jump tandems in gale force winds, into tiny landing areas ... but it is only a matter of time before you leave the DZ in an ambulance.

Wise instructors always leave large margins of error.

My post AGAIN was in response to SKWRL. Since you didn't read it clearly he asked about the D license landing area applying to Tandems.

Your post about safety and ambulances has nothing to do with my post on the regulation. Of course I know that just because we are legally able to do lots of things doesn't always make it smart.

Just one thing, I believe radial distance means the distance from the landing area to the nearest obstacle in 3 D, not on the ground only. Take a stadium for instance, it can be obstacles free (within the allowed distance) flat on the ground but the protruding canopy or partial roof of the stadium can represent an obstale and make the distance too short than the minimum allowed.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.