Vectracide

Nusciance ferrel/barn cat

So I live in the unicorporated county area. There are a couple small farms around and I have 2.5 acres myself. I am no stranger to the country life, as I was raised with livestock and continue that tradition with my own family as well.

So here is my delimma. I have been dealing with ferrel cats for some time, and have effectively gotten rid of alot of them with a live trap and the pound. There is one little bastard that no matter what I do, keeps finding its way back to my property. Now its not just a matter of a cat on my grass.....who cares about that. Its the damage the little fucker does to my place. He rips into my trash every chance he gets, shits under my deck and trys to dig under the areas blocked off to under the house, he used to beat the shit out of my other cat when I had him (now dead due to car) and sprays his stench inside my barn making it smell quite badly.

I have captured him 3 times now using a live trap. First time I took him to the pound. Amazingly enough, it was back days later. Somehow, some the little bastard was acutally looked for and returned. Second and third time, I took him down to the river (about 1 mile down the road) and booted him out of the trap. The last time, was about 30 minutes ago. Now this time, I'm really pissed cause the sonofabitch bit me thru my gloves and drew blood. Not a big deal to have him tested for rabies.....if he hadnt gotten away from me. I was really wishing I had my shotgun with me, cause to be honest, for the sake of finding out if he had rabies, I would have smoked the fucker.

So the big question here is, if I catch him again, what sentence shall the nasty flea bitten, mangy bitch get. You decide this cats fate.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

feral
feral
feral

Sorry, but it's bugging me. And yes, I'm a pedant.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

:D:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Very simple...all you need is a cheap dish with some warm milk. Set it up in the middle of the yard. Prop yourself up on the porch with a 12 pack of your choice and load the shotgun. When the lil bastard shows up for dinner, you give him desert...

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

Hate to point out the obvious, but if you were bitten by a feral cat, trap it and call the county animal control/health department to report it. When you take it in, there is a 99.999999999% chance you won't see him again, as they have to euthanize and decapitate for testing. :|

Edit: You are aware the post exposure rabies series must be instituted incredibly soon, I hope.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

So I did some reading on the whole rabies thing....and pretty much scared myself into getting the prophilactic post exposure treatment. I got it today at noon, and boy.....that was a hoot. B|

Ya see, I got bit in the thumb, right on the side edge of the nail. As part of the shots you get on your first visit, on particular one is called the gammaglobulin shot. It has to be injected in and around the bite site. Holy friggin JESUS does needles being slowly inserted into the end of your thumb hurt. One of the shots came in from the side and seemed to be injected just under the nail. All this with no numbing. Fuck that hurt.

The other three shots, one in the arm and the other 2 in each buttcheek were no big deal. Only 6 more shots to go spread over the next month. Wheeeeeeee.........:S

Yeah the post exposure series is no joke - but still better than the alternative!

The reason they are so painful is the 'stuff' in the shot is much thicker than any other injection.

Since you do handle the feral animals a lot, check with your doctor and see if the post exposure keeps you vaccinated from further exposure. I am not sure how the post exposure works, put with my pre-exposure series, I have a blood titer pulled every 2 years to monitor levels and determine the necessity for a booster to keep the right level.

On a side note, for future preparation, you might check with animal control/state veterinarian to see how they require handling a rabies suspect (here if the animal is dead/killed, the brain must be intact and the head removed from the body, refrigerated and delivered to a testing facility within a certain amount of time). This is not to scare you, but better to know ahead of time than to "ruin the sample because you didn't know better" (ie - shooting it in the head, etc)

For those of you thinking this is over the top, please realize rabies is a virus that induces neurologic problems and by the time you show the first symptoms, you are beyond help and will die.

Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Until I saw the biting part, I would have giving the little guy a chance, but you really do need to have the thing tested for rabies, which unfortunatly does involve killing him.

At this point, "unfortunately" is not a word I am thinking of.;) The cats that meet this condition are in the same category of a rat to me now.

Yeah, the liquid is thick, but the real reason it hurt so goddamn bad is that it was in the thumb.

And to all those that think I'm being a wuss, take a safety pin and shove it into the end and sides of your thumb. 3 times. Let me know how that goes....:P