peacefuljeffrey

This is sad, but come on...

Why on earth would a deaf person walk right alongside train tracks, since it's pretty obvious they would be unable to know of the train's approach from behind?

This girl was killed doing something I would think a deaf person would never do. It's tantamount to her putting on a blindfold and agreeing to try to cross a busy street. Hey, trains come. If you're deaf, will you know it? Counting on feeling the ground vibrate? I don't know how well that would work, but I guess it was not well enough...

Sad for her and her family, but really... come on...

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You would think that someone who could read would see that this had been posted multiple times. Though at least one of them was in SC... :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You would think that someone who could read would see that this had been posted multiple times. Though at least one of them was in SC...

Haha. You're awesome krisanne. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

that really is a sad story... and i am shocked that she didn't feel the train coming, however i do know also that it is common, if you are walking close enough to a train going a considerably fast speed, there is a suction-type effect that can literally suck you in closer - people really just need to be more cautious... hopefully her family can get through this difficult time
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I guess you never heard of the other senses becoming more alert.

It also depends on what you have been through in life.

I have gone through some unusual training events and can sense someone in the room when I am sleeping. I have suprised many a smart ASS trying to sneak up on me and it had nothing to do with being able to hear them.

Ultimately I refer this question to B.V. as he should be able to answer without a doubt.

Obviously you have not dealt with many deaf individuals.

Laters,

K-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

I have gone through some unusual training events and can sense someone in the room when I am sleeping. I have suprised many a smart ASS trying to sneak up on me and it had nothing to do with being able to hear them.

okay, i've only been a frieght train conductor since last july but in that time i've worked probly about 6 days a week almost every week and have a litle experiance with frieght trains. you would be suprised on how quite a train can be coming up on you at times and if you couldn't hear it , it would sneak right up on you. from what the article said she got hit with the snow plow which is on the very front of the engine and only extends maybe a foot outside of the rail. it sits maybe about 4 inches off the rail and is made of about 1/2 inch or thicker steel... she was either walking right next to the rail or between the "gauge" (in the middle of the rails). you would thing you could feel the vibrations, well you can when one is passing you but when it is aproaching you it can be iffy, all depends on the conditions, the kind of rail, the balast (gravel) and how the rail bed is maintained, sometimes they can be goindg down the tracks and it's like they are traveling on glass, nice and smooth, and other times it is rumbly as hell.. but by the time she probly would of only felt it with her feet she would of been a pancake..... a lesson to everyone, never walk along railroad tracks.... we have a rule that if we are watching the train we are working with go by us to do some swicthing we need to stay about 10 feet waay or more, and if it is a passing train that isn't aours we need to be atleast 30 feet, and 30 ft from a freight train going 50 mph or more is just where i START to feel comfortable being......

a little geewihiz infor for ya guys....

a typical engine weights over 400,000 lbs,
a typical car loaded weights over 100 tons (200,000 lbs)
the contact patch with the wheel to the rail is about the size of a dime ( per wheel)

that's harsh! forgive us for not catching every single post that gets thrown on here. There are over 5100 threads in SC that I haven't even looked at. Don't worry Jeffrey it was new to me.

Dude, some people here (and in SC) just want to give me shit because I'm me. Let 'em. Fuck 'em.

-
-Jeffrey

okay, i've only been a frieght train conductor since last july but in that time i've worked probly about 6 days a week almost every week and have a litle experiance with frieght trains. you would be suprised on how quite a train can be coming up on you at times and if you couldn't hear it , it would sneak right up on you.

That makes it clear that even HEARING people should not walk along a train track. And this girl was DEAF. That's what makes no sense to me.

-
-Jeffrey

You would think that someone who could read would see that this had been posted multiple times. Though at least one of them was in SC... :D

I tried to tell you what I think of you, but amazingly, even though we've never had it out via PM, you're not accepting them from me. Oh well. Back atcha, babe. :S

-
-Jeffrey

I called the police on some stupid woman walking with her 3 year old boy down the middle of active train tracks...by active I mean trains use them daily...and on a blind corner, no less.

Police said they would look into it. For that baby's sake, I sure hope they weren't just blowing smoke...[:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I tried to tell you what I think of you, but amazingly, even though we've never had it out via PM, you're not accepting them from me. Oh well. Back atcha, babe. :S

-

One was enough. :|

Whatever. At least I'm not on some pathetic bandwagon hurling daily innuendo insults at you, the way you are regarding me.

Are you saying we had it out in a PM exchange? I don't even recall.

-
-Jeffrey