GARYC24

Starting to Smoke.

I know smoking is bad. It gives people cancer, and it raises the nation's health care rates. But I'm heavy with guilt for not smoking.

For the past two years, the good people at Philip Morris USA have been sending me regular care packages filled with goodies -- things like bottle openers, CDs and posters.

On my birthday this past December, Philip Morris sent me an iron horseshoe.

It is reddish in color, weighs about a pound or so and has no writing on it. It's now above the door that leads into my kitchen. In the living room is the panoramic poster they sent, depicting relaxing nature scenes I assume are near the Marlboro Ranch they tell me about in all the contests.

Despite what some people may think, starting to smoke is not easy. The trick is to take baby steps. It used to be that I couldn't have even two drags off a cigarette without wanting to vomit. Now I can smoke one nearly to the filter and get only a slight headache.

What has helped me persist is the compact disc Philip Morris sent. The cowboy music -- a mix of “Oklahoma!” and “Hang 'em High” type tunes -- helps me relax.

Keep with it. I'm hoping your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek, because if it's not I'm going to kick your keister across the dang room!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)