peacefuljeffrey

Which instrument do you prefer the sound of?

I'm watching the making of "Winged Migration," and saw a scene of a cellist, and realized how much I like the soothing mellow sound of a cello. Of course, I also like the violin, but the higher pitch is somewhat less soothing. Classical guitar is just incredible, as well. Hard for me to decide. What's your choice?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

in their moments and according to my needs, almost every instrument has had an affect on me. From the picollo to the dijirido, the bagpipes to the kazoo. Every classical, blues, jazz, bluegrass instrument and more. Then there's the human voice! Ask me what I'm into this second (piano, but always guitar - classical, blues, jazz, rock).

I love classical guitar, but I have to be in the right mood. However, the hammered dulcimer is an amazing sound, and one that, if you haven't already heard, should listen to some time. As I'm Scots Irish, that sound simply appeals to me on many levels.

I also like pan flutes; when played by a master, and backed by strings and/or drums, there's something big and lonely and whole in them that can't be duplicated.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Bagpipes.

Richards

I was a Classical Guitar major in college. Yea, I know. WHAT was I THINKING?? anyway, I became an instrument builder, and had a music store for a couple dozen years. I still own about a half dozen or so Cellos. My basement is full of dumb stuff. If I had it to do all over again, I'd put those hours of practice into the cello.

Bagpipe story. I was in a parade one year, they put all of the politicians behind the horse brigade.
We requested a move.
Next year, they put the bagpipes behind us.
FOUR HOURSSSSSSS of DRRRROOOOOONNNNNEEE
DRRRROOOONNNNNE.]
ok, move us back behind the horses for year three!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I personally enjoy all strings together. why not just say I like strings. I love the harp and I think what i like most about the strings is the way they play together and sound like one because they can move together-accuratly I love all strings I certainly couldnt dream of choosing between them. -Caress:)
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Well I'm sort of with you on the mellow cello and high pitched Violin, but my preference lies in the middle with the Viola, more mellow than the violin and higher pitched than the celloB|B|B|B| Very cool sound

BUT my preferential instrument sound is BLUES HARPB|B|B| Cotton, Portnoy, PopperB|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

classical guitar gets my vote. and bernd steidl gets my vote for best modern classical guitarist. cheers

Otmar Leibert (Luna Negra) ;)isn't to shabby either
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well I'm sort of with you on the mellow cello and high pitched Violin, but my preference lies in the middle with the Viola, more mellow than the violin and higher pitched than the celloB|B|B|B| Very cool sound

BUT my preferential instrument sound is BLUES HARPB|B|B| Cotton, Portnoy, PopperB|

I always had wondered what role the viola had, and whether it was versatile or what. I was drafted to play the double bass in my junior high school orchestra, but I was not into it -- I envied those who got to play the melody. Is the viola strung the same as a violin? How do they differ?

Blues harp is good, yes. I love the Neil Young song "Natural Beauty" (on the album "Harvest Moon") -- it has a beautiful, plaintive harmonica part recurring throughout.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"