NWFlyer

So What Are You Doing Since You're Not at "That" Boogie

What's the capacity of your slow cooker? I'm using a 12 quart pot and another smaller pot. Four beefs in the 12 qt. and one in the small one as overflow.

I don't like to do labor-intensive, time-intensive cooking unless I'm going to make enough to feed a platoon for a week. I like to have a LOT of whatever I make. :)
Here is the recipe from the magazine. This makes the tastiest corned beef I've ever had.

Beer-Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage

1/2 tsp. coarse-grind pepper (you'd better grind it fresh yourself if you know what's good)

4 lb. corned beef brisket (flat cut is the preferred kind)

1 Tbs canola oil (I had to substitute peanut oil, but that's fine)

2 bottles (12 oz. each) beer (I used Harp, and curse you and your kin if you use anything but IRISH beer! :D)

2 Tbs. Dijon mustard, preferably country-style (don't skimp on this -- good mustard is good mustard)

2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced

1 head green cabbage, about 1.5 lbs.

1 cup shredded carrots (instead, I used chopped carrots and a lot more than one cup, but then I'm using 5 corned beefs)

Sprinkle pepper over both sides of the corned beef (I actually cover it in pepper). In large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, turning once, until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
Transfer to large pot, add beer, mustard, garlic, and enough water to cover corned beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Simmer 3.5 - 4 hours or until tender, turning after 2 hours. Meanwhile, core and cut cabbage into 1/2 inch thick slices (I go to about 1 inch thick). Transfer beef to serving platter and cover to keep warm. Add cabbage and carrots to liquid in pot. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Transfer vegetables to serving platter using slotted spoon. Makes 8 servings.

Okay, but I increased everything, using 5 bottles of Harp, lots of mustard, three heads of cabbage (it's not cut yet; I may need only two of them, we'll see). I cut out the garlic because a woman at work can't have it, and she's often instrumental in organizing these dinners so I didn't want to blow her off. Each corned beef I used was about 2.75 - 3 pounds or so, and I used five of them!

I figure that once the water mixture has what it needs, it really doesn't matter how much beef you put in it.

Good eats!
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'm about to start packing...Patron...check...Don Julio...check...Tres Generaciones...check...cash in case I run out of tequila...check...credit card in case I run out of cash and run out of tequila...check...parachute...check...goggles, alti, helmet...check...

Did I remember to check for tequila? Oh...I'd better start over...
:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I'm about to start packing...Patron...check...Don Julio...check...Tres Generaciones...check...cash in case I run out of tequila...check...credit card in case I run out of cash and run out of tequila...check...parachute...check...goggles, alti, helmet...check...

Did I remember to check for tequila? Oh...I'd better start over...

Give the El Jimador Reposado a try, it's quite nice :-)
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Ooooohhh...that's a nice one...and not in the collection...something I shall have to remedy.

Muchas gracias, mi amigo...ahora mismo tengo que eer a la ABC LIQUOR store y duespues a la playa por una hora.

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I am checking the forums on my BlackBerry to see if you all are behaving yourselves while I am at the boogie. Aren't you glad I have this new gadget?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Fighting jet lag in an editing room in LAB|

But should be Pa(r)tty time in a couple of hours...>:(

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I spent all day in a fucking Hospital, LIJ

Current mood: drunk

I've been awake for close to 34 hours now. Pops had 25% of his right lung removed. Fucking cancer. What a shitty way to spend St Paddys day.... we needed every bit of the "Luck of the Irish" today. I think I may have been awake longer but I've been drinking Jameson Irish Whiskey since getting back to the house and I'm not sure. ;-P

I had dinner in Chinatown... and yes they locked the fucking doors and let me smoke a cigarette at my table when I was done eating with my tea. It was an awesome meal but I'm wasted six ways to Sunday at the moment.

I have to drive upstate tomorrow. 6:30am is only 5 hours away now. I'll need a vacation when this is done & people think I'm on vacation now.

FUCK!!!

That is all.

T

Friday, I took Scott Miller's Essentials Canopy Control class (for the second time).

Saturday, I have to work, but have been tempted by the possibility to sneak in a couple jumps during the day.

Sunday, I [B]MAY[/B] take Scott Miller's Advanced Canopy Control class.
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Well I was going to go until late yesterday afternoon when my friend called me and told me that her brother went in for emergency brain surgery....She had to fly to Indianapolis and needed someone to watch her five dogs! A friend in need is a friend in deed!! What could I do?? She was really stuck, not to mention really upset...her brother is only 38....to get a call from the hospital that he's at and to be told that your brother is bleeding from the brain...holy crap!!![:/][:/][:/]

This is going to be a shitty weekend...I just know it! I've got a bad feeling about this..

Sorry Spence...I really wanted to make it!![:/]

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I am checking the forums on my BlackBerry to see if you all are behaving yourselves while I am at the boogie. Aren't you glad I have this new gadget?

Was this when I was napping on the packing mat, dreaming of a time when I could be back here instead of having the time of my life making lasting relationships with new friends? :PB|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.