SacrificialPawn

Rig schematic/diagram

I'm desperately trying to find a schematic or diagram of how a rig 'fits together' with labelled components and compartments. Perhaps also showing where everything goes once the main is deployed (like the d-bag) and when the reserve is deployed.

Searched for ages and just can't find what I'm after.:( Although very useful, this thread doesn't quite cover it: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=463594;search_string=rig%20diagram;#463594.

Hoping something like this will help me gain a better understanding in preparation for the AFF course.

Thanks,:)

MAte, I suggest you just sit back and calm down.
Your entusiasim is fantastic, but let me ask you this question..

Would you like to turn up to your AFF course as a piece of putty so your instructor can mold you into a safe and good jumper?

or

would you like to turn up and be the guys who has been studying the sport and thinks he knows things because he has read about it and is not a piece of putty to be molded.

Same goes with watching videos of AFF and getting ahead of yourself. If you go to AFF classes and have picked up bad habits or anything different from what your instructor wants to teach you then you could find yourself failing some classes not to mention be a danger to yourself.

Go to your AFF course with a blank mind and let the sport be taught to you by the man who is teaching you, He/she will not like it if you turn up and keep asking questions about things you have read or if you are the person who thinks he knows anymore than the students who are there that know nothing and are prepared to be shapped HIS WAY.

Trust me mate, You reading up about how a rig works and the schematics of a rig could be potentially dangerous to you, I mean do you know if your rig you will be learning on is One pull or two pull cut away system, or is it B.O.C?

For your own good, go there as a blank page and dont get ahead of yourself.

As I said, your enthusiasm is fantastic and i bet you want to make thousands of jumps and pass AFF with flying colours as a safe skydiver..... Be a blank page mate, and you will be everything you are dreaming of.

Good luck.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Hmmm, fair point.

Unfortunately I'm terrible for things like this! [:/] Like knowing everything I can before getting in to anything.

As you've mentioned, I'm trying to pass with flying colours by learning what not to do, what everything does etc. Completely understand how this could be seriously detrimental.

Very sound advice in that it could do more harm than good and I was trying to get a 'head start'.

Thanks for the reply and all advice taken onboard, time to sit back and chill!

Im glad you listen mate.

Seriously, Dont try and get ahead at all as the only thing you will end up with is a disadvantage.

When i started jumping my AFF instructors only showed us video of each level after we passed each one. Pass AFF lv1 and then we get to watch level 2. They do this for a reason.

However, your interest must be burning inside, i know how this feels.

My way into the sport was 7 years ago, i was accepted on a course where the government gave us the money to do 200 skydives in 5 months including AFF, The day i got accepted i packed up my car drove for 14 hours and a 4 hour ferry ride to the dropzone and sat at that dropzone every day for a month watching jumping before the course started. I know how it feels.

If you want to be better prepared for AFF, dont laugh, but go and learn a bit about meteorology.

You will find many days that you will go to the DZ to do your aff and have to sit about because of high winds, low cloud cover etc. Maybe if you learnt a bit about meterology you would then understand instead of bitch and moan and feel unwanted like a lot of students.

Go and lear about the pressure, learn about turbulance, all the different types and learn about dew point etc. This will help you for sure. A key thing you will soon learn is that (in my country anyway) Students can not jump in winds over 15kn.

Learn about the weather, Maybe learn about packing as well. I am sure if you went to the dropzone and told someone at the desk you would like to learn to pack while you wait for your AFF course to start then they will teach you.
Because of weather holds i actually could pack before my first level and my first jump was on a rig that i packed myself.

Packing, weather and maybe even do some reading about Hypoxia.

None of these things will cause you harm to know at the moment but they will make you a more patient and pleasant student and give you knowledge ahead of other class members. It will not mean anything but it will later when you know all this stuff.

Blue Skies.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

MAte, I suggest you just sit back and calm down.
Your entusiasim is fantastic, but let me ask you this question..

Would you like to turn up to your AFF course as a piece of putty so your instructor can mold you into a safe and good jumper?

or

would you like to turn up and be the guys who has been studying the sport and thinks he knows things because he has read about it and is not a piece of putty to be molded.

Same goes with watching videos of AFF and getting ahead of yourself. If you go to AFF classes and have picked up bad habits or anything different from what your instructor wants to teach you then you could find yourself failing some classes not to mention be a danger to yourself.

Go to your AFF course with a blank mind and let the sport be taught to you by the man who is teaching you, He/she will not like it if you turn up and keep asking questions about things you have read or if you are the person who thinks he knows anymore than the students who are there that know nothing and are prepared to be shapped HIS WAY.

Trust me mate, You reading up about how a rig works and the schematics of a rig could be potentially dangerous to you, I mean do you know if your rig you will be learning on is One pull or two pull cut away system, or is it B.O.C?

For your own good, go there as a blank page and dont get ahead of yourself.

As I said, your enthusiasm is fantastic and i bet you want to make thousands of jumps and pass AFF with flying colours as a safe skydiver..... Be a blank page mate, and you will be everything you are dreaming of.

Good luck.

Though some of your points to him are true, there are a few I'd disagree with. Knowing as much as you can before you enter the FJC isn't a bad thing, if your getting the correct information. But, entering into your FJC, thinking you "already know it all" is......
How rigs work is simple, and a quick "how it works" briefing isn't going to over shadow anyones mind when they are taugh in their FJC, IMO.

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I can't help you with what you have requested, however if you click on the link in my signature you will go to my website. There you can go to my 'custom ordering' page. Don't get any ideas though as you are nowhere near ready to even think about what sort of gear to buy but you can download order forms. On the order forms, you will see all the different options and different panels of a rig as well as a canopy.

Now, if you want to go and play around with designing a rig www.skydivewings.com have the best 3-D rig designer around where you can colour in the container and turn it etc.

I dont know if it will do anything for you but it will give you an idea of how a rig is put together, each place you can put a different colour is a different panel. Also will list all the different options for you on a container, however it will not really give you any type of heads up.

Maybe if you would like to watch some dope skydiving videos or some massive world records like 400 people in formation at freefall you can go to the biggest skydive video database www.skydivingmovies.com

Just dont start watching AFF videos to learn from, watch for pleasure but always remember, every instructor has different methods and if you pick up a method different from his then he will fail you until you learn his way, a fail means paying for the jump again.

Peace.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Well, i Agree with you 100%. The thing is my reply was to a person whi is trying to learn from the internet, so he would be the person entering "THINKING" he knows it. I take it he is not a dz baby or dz bum that has the benefit of being able to enter "Knowing" it.

Self teaching can only lead to "thinking you know it", because he has no idea if what he is readiing or watching is correct.

I was not saying that reading the how it works would over shadow his mind. I was tyring to point out that it really has no benefit at this point of time.... I then just went on about everything i said as i picture this guy trying to know it all before he starts and i thought maybe i could tell him it may be good to not think he knows it all.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Well, i Agree with you 100%. The thing is my reply was to a person whi is trying to learn from the internet, so he would be the person entering "THINKING" he knows it. I take it he is not a dz baby or dz bum that has the benefit of being able to enter "Knowing" it.

Self teaching can only lead to "thinking you know it", because he has no idea if what he is readiing or watching is correct.

I was not saying that reading the how it works would over shadow his mind. I was tyring to point out that it really has no benefit at this point of time.... I then just went on about everything i said as i picture this guy trying to know it all before he starts and i thought maybe i could tell him it may be good to not think he knows it all.

I think your post to him directing him to your website was a good start. The other post suggesting the Skydivers Handbood is also a good one.

Ed

I think your post to him directing him to your website was a good start.

Why is that,??

I dont really think my website has anything of value for him apart from maybe a few stupid/fun videos. I was thinking a diagram of a rig was the best thing i could come up with and you have that on every order form.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I think your post to him directing him to your website was a good start.

Why is that,??

I dont really think my website has anything of value for him apart from maybe a few stupid/fun videos. I was thinking a diagram of a rig was the best thing i could come up with and you have that on every order form.

Its good because it gives him an idea of the gear cost also. ;)

Ed

Very true, absolutely desperate to get on with it!!

Might visit my local DZ prior to starting the course. Learning to pack is a must and have to say, you've got balls to do a first jump on a rig you packed!! :o ...or confidence in what you've done!

Pretty cool the goverment offered you the chance to learn, would never happen in our Nanny state unless for military purposes.

That's actually a very good idea, one that hadn't even crossed my mind.

Just trying to pick up all knowledge I can and admittedly the wait isn't going to help!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and giving some sound advice.

Actually, the course i was on in New Zealand is open to UK students and the UK government gives student loans for you to go to new zealand and join the course. Same for australians.

Anyway, that is a different story and i don't feel right talking about it on this website.

Go to Hinton and learn to jump, Maddy will look after you.

If you are going to learn in spain makes sure you phone your local uk dropzone and ask if they respect the place you are gong to. There has been places in spain that do the whole aff levels in 1-2 days and instructors at uk dropzones may not respect the quality of teaching. Just make sure before you go to spain to learn. Dont get me wrong there are some very good schools in spain.

Dropzones i suggest in the UK, Hinton, Hibaldstow, Langar. I have no experience with any others in the UK after living there on and off for the past 4 years.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Aha! This is exactly what I wasn't planning on doing! Simple things like where all the components go etc., curious as to what happens to the d-bag once deployed and a few small things.

With regards to actually learning; this is being fully left to the instructor.

Bigway has given some very good advice and I'm definately not planning on being a know-it-all or self taught...can only end one way. :S The vidoe circulating of the AFF student jettisoning his main instead of pulling the ripcord shows this, IMO! Think the wires may have been slightly crossed there.

Would knowing names for items be detrimental?

Thanks for your inputs.

As long as you don't go "yeah but the RSL ... " "but the AAD ..." "but the Skydiver's Handbook says ..." etc during your FJC, you'll probably be the better for knowing the stuff, I know I wanted to know all that and read everything before I started too ;) You need to take the FJC all in however and not get hung up on stuff you got from elsewhere, there's time for more details, other methods, etc after you've got a few jumps under your belt.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Not at all mate. It will all be taught to you as well as hand signals etc.

Focusing on gear at the moment is the last thing i could think of as something for you to learn about right now.

The reason i say that is because your instructor will show you the gear piece by piece and we have no idea of what gear you will be using and what sort of system.

Here you go though.

The bag is called 'container'
from the container to the strings are called risers. The strings are called lines.
The brakes you pull down on are your sterring lines/brakes

Once the dbag is out and the canopy is open the d-bag hangs off the line from the top of the parachute to the pilot chute (little parachute that pulls big parachute out of d-bag)
The top half off the container houses the reserve and the bottom houses the main canopy.
on the front of your body joined to the straps of the container, you have the cut away handle and the emergency parachute handle. not telling you what side cause you might have a 2 pull system.

When the reserve is popped out the reserve d bag is not connected to the reserve parachute. happy hunting for that.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Sweet! ;) Just the snippets I was after!

Know what most of it's called just from the beginner's section on here. Just thought it'd be better to already know the basics rather than during the course things being referred to and I'd forgotten or something! :S

Must admit, I don't know the full structure of the course other than you receive 'ground training'.

Don't like know-it-all's, sure no one does! Taught a few things to various types of people and it's far better to be a good listener when learning and ask appropriate questions where necessary. Just a habit that I throw myself into things and need knowledge!:$

I'm still deciding which DZ to go to for the AFF. Thinking Spain as it's more cost effective, weather's better etc. My local DZ is Bicester, not sure where the other's you've mentioned are. Think the best bet is get acquainted a little (without out being a nuisance!) and take it from there.

Just to let you know mate... For the price of doing AFF in the UK you could fly to NZ or OZ and the ful course for the same price including air ticket.

My suggestion to you though if you want cheap and an amazing experience is to fly to either skydivechicago.com or Perris in the USA to do the course. Amazing dropzones with world champion shkydivers and fantastic vibes.

If doing it in the UK, Look up a guy called Andy Ford. He will get you in the tunnel during preperationg for AFF, i dont know if i agree with that but Andy Ford is a world class skydiver and an aff instructor in the uk.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Self teaching can only lead to "thinking you know it", because he has no idea if what he is reading or watching is correct.

OP: Yes, stay away from "questionable" sources. If you want to do what I refer to as "pre-loading" concepts, your first step is to call the dropzone and talk to the person who will be your FJC Instructor. Ask that person what you can do in the meantime. If they want you to be a blank slate when you show up for the course, they will tell you to not read anything.

Nobody here can help you. You have to be smart / safe for yourself. You can dig up bad information just as easily as good information and only experience (yours) or knowledge (your FJCI's) will tell you if it was good or bad. If you're taking that chance, you should at least know the seriousness of your wager.

If you need to know the seriousness of your wager, I'd recommend reading any sport skydiving warning label or your dropzone's waiver. That's all you need to know going into the FJC. If you just need something to occupy you in the interim, spend your extra energy and time making sure that you are in good shape.

It'll be fun, but baby steps keep the average mind chugging away throughout the process.

Have fun.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)