sid

V for Vendetta

WOW! Just got back from seeing this.... it is the dog's bollocks (when you see the movie you'll understand)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

bollocks is british slang for balls (testicles).

Thank you. So when Sid says "it is the dog's bollocks", does that mean that it is a good movie, or a bad movie?

It's a lot like "shit" here. Something bad can be shit, something really good is "The Shit" - the dog's bollocks means it's good! If it was bad it would have been "a load of bollocks":S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

bollocks is british slang for balls (testicles).

Thank you. So when Sid says "it is the dog's bollocks", does that mean that it is a good movie, or a bad movie?

It's a lot like "shit" here. Something bad can be shit, something really good is "The Shit" - the dog's bollocks means it's good! If it was bad it would have been "a load of bollocks":S

The two Andy's gave me a review of this at Herc Boogie two summers ago. From bad to good it goes "Load of Bollocks" "Bollocks" and "Dog's Bollocks". Load of Bollocks being carted off to jail for a traffic ticket you know you paid, Bollocks being a long line at the supermarket, and Dog's Bollocks being upgraded from subcompact to convertable corvette because they ran out of everything else.

The two Andy's gave me a review of this at Herc Boogie two summers ago. From bad to good it goes "Load of Bollocks" "Bollocks" and "Dog's Bollocks". Load of Bollocks being carted off to jail for a traffic ticket you know you paid, Bollocks being a long line at the supermarket, and Dog's Bollocks being upgraded from subcompact to convertable corvette because they ran out of everything else.

i think that probably the most perfect explanation ive ever heard for 'the dogs bollocks'
well done to the two andys whoever they are
www.ewancowie.com
www.facebook.com/ewancowiephotography

I hadn't heard anything about it until I saw this post. I went to see it tonight and loved it. There were a few minutes that seemed to drag along but over all I though it was a great movie.

I might not have gone if I didn't think that "Bound" was one of the coolest movies I've seen.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Owned by Remi #?

I went to see it tonight and loved it. There were a few minutes that seemed to drag along but over all I though it was a great movie..

I agree. Good movie. All about tyranny, freedom, apathy, and the power of the people. Similar to Orwell's "1984". Complete with jack-booted soldiers and other Nazi symbolism.

There were some great lines in there:
"Why can't I kill you!?"
"Because I'm an idea, and ideas are bulletproof."
As for "bollocks", that phrase was used quite a lot in the movie, and in the context, seemed to mean "bullshit".

The part where he tortured the pretty young lady to make her free from fear, was too weird...

Saw it with the wife last night. I thought it was a good movie and creative. However, somewhat of social propaganda dribble. Nonetheless, a good movie.

You mean like most American main stream movies:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

somewhat of social propaganda dribble.

I think you mean "drivel" rather than "dribble".

How so?

And so what if it is? Most movies have social messages. It's a warning about public apathy with government, and we have numerous real-world historical examples of how things can go bad, just like in the movie.

I think you mean "drivel" rather than "dribble".

How so?

Unfortunately it seems to have struck a chord with some people who, mistakenly, apply the political events and climate events of the movie (or the theme) to some of the political hot topics of today. In their minds it's a propoganda machine. The reality is that the comic V for Vendetta was originally published between 1982 and 1985, in black and white, in Warrior, a British anthology comic. **

The fact that some people who are up in arms saying it's 'anti-us/bush/whatever' are comparing it to the government today (their comparison, not mine) is perhaps lends more credibility to the movies contents when you consider it wasn't written with current events in mind.

It's a warning about public apathy with government, and we have numerous real-world historical examples of how things can go bad, just like in the movie.

Agreed, unfortunately it's become very 'unpatriotic' to question the current administration which is why it strikes, IMO, such a nerve with some people. They can't see it any other way than propoganda because their ideology doesn't support the notion that the government is fallable.

All that mumbo jumpo aside, I have yet to see the movie and I'm looking forward to it. I've been following it's development for some time.

Blues,
Ian
** Wiki Source
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

The fact that some people who are up in arms saying it's 'anti-us/bush/whatever' are comparing it to the government today (their comparison, not mine) is perhaps lends more credibility to the movies contents when you consider it wasn't written with current events in mind.

Correct. Heck, it wasn't even written with the U.S. in mind - it takes place in England. The only reference to the U.S. in the movie was when the government leaders made some talk about how the situation in the U.S. was worse than in England, the U.S. was asking England for help, and the U.S. could go to hell for all they cared, as payback for 1775.

it's become very 'unpatriotic' to question the current administration which is why it strikes, IMO, such a nerve with some people. They can't see it any other way than propoganda because their ideology doesn't support the notion that the government is fallable.

Yes, the viewer can imply whatever they wish about the movie with their own personal viewpoints and hot issues. There's nothing you can do about that, nor should we.

But I certainly don't see any parallels with the U.S. After all, in the movie things have degraded considerably, including the elimination of all Muslims, homosexuals, and even the Irish. The U.S. hasn't started rounding up undesireables yet for extermination...

What was with that government slogan plastered everywhere?:
"Strength Through Unity, Unity Through Faith"

I take it that the "unity" meant the homogenization of the country down to just one type of people to eliminate conflict. But faith? They didn't show anything about religion that I remember.

And then there was the "gun" line. When the government was worried about being attacked by a citizen mob, asking; "What will happen to those people?" The security forces reassured them: "What always happens when people without guns confront those who do have them." That's the 2nd Amendment angle in the movie.

Heck, it wasn't even written with the U.S. in mind - it takes place in England.

It was actually a statement against the big brother government style that the Thatcher government had.

Most comics in the 80s and 90s were written to be a bit more timeless. If you go back and read any of the mainstream or off the beaten path books today you can find topics that mirror our current geo-political situations. heh - go read the Watchmen.

Heck, it wasn't even written with the U.S. in mind - it takes place in England.

It was actually a statement against the big brother government style that the Thatcher government had.

AND it's made by an aussie and the lead is an Aussie, we make good flicks:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

yeah, but the other lead is an Israeli, and Israelis have hot chicks :P

Umm have you seen Miss Universe, Aussie that's right HOT Aussie:P
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?