baconwings

anybody jumpin a "nitro" or kno anyfin bout them!

I recently demoed the Nitro 150 and I must say I was surprised. I was NOT impressed with the exception of the openings and the ease of control. The openings are absolutely AMAZING! BABY SOFT is the only term that expresses what I felt.
As for overall performance, I was disappointed. I was expecting more response out of the toggle inputs and the flare left a bit to be desired. Now mind you, my comparison is against the Safire2 149 that I've been flying for 40+ jumps.

After many phone calls and reading up on the Nitro, I suspected this would have been the canopy for me...I was wrong. The Safire fits me like a glove. I will one day give the NITRO another shot. But for now these are my opinions.

did you try fronts, rears, flying in deep brakes, cross-wind landings? you can fly a nitro 150 @ 1.3 like an accuracy canopy.
I doubt you can do this with a Safire

just my 0,2
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

The Nitro/Nitrons are set up with slack in the brake lines for front riser usage. This reduces the togle stroke length and makes it less responsive and the flare starts later. I load mine at 1.5ish and can do anything I want including hovering a foot off the ground (with a bit of wind) for a few seconds. If you like the Safire better stick with it though, just explaining one reason they're different.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

>Virtually all canopies are set up this way these days.

I would add that canopies come from the factory without toggles; it is up to the rigger/jumper to install the toggles and decide on the length of the brake lines. Swoopers will generally want more slack, and fortunately most manufacturers provide enough extra slack to allow this. For non-swoopers (especially small people with short arms) a tighter toggle setting might be appropriate.

It's always a good idea to set them to the manufacturer's marks and then make a test jump. For regular jumpers, there should be a little bow in the brake lines and no tail deflection in full flight. For swoopers, there should be a moderate amount of bow, and no tail deflection, when your hands are on the front risers loops/blocks.

In both cases, it's a good idea to leave as much slack as possible inside the fingertrap. Spectra brake lines shrink rapidly, and leaving slack inside allows the brakes to be re-lengthened without replacing the lowers.