baconwings

anybody jumpin a "nitro" or kno anyfin bout them!

It's intended for canopy pilots w/ skills in the intermediate range so I wouldn't recommend one as your first canopy. I've been jumping them for about 600 jumps now.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The Nitro is a pretty sweet ride (I have 1 or 2 jumps on a 150).

They will spin you up on opening if you're asymetrical in the harness (ask Ryan Turner about that one :S)

They will also spin you into the ground if you freak out in the pattern...

Its important in this sport to make sure that you select gear thats right for you and then get it at the right price, instead of the other way around... titanium is more expensive than a SabreII!

--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Call Mike Gruwell at Chutingstar.com. (770) 749-9184 (Loft) or 678-231-2752 (Cell)

Keith S. is looking after the business for Traci after Beezy passed away but I don't have Keith's number.

Mike will be able to answer your questions since he does a lot of the HiperUSA rigging work nowadays and Keith works closely with him.

http://www.chutingstar.com/contact.html
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've been jumping my nitro 135 for the last 600 jumps and i know i'm not going to change that canopy as long as it's airworthy.
i have never encountered any tendency to spin up, as mentioned by another poster. contrary the nitro will fly straight even in severe linetwists (as long as they are symmetrical, but that should be a no brainer)
packing is easy, so is the handling
would i recommend it: hell yes, but not with your jump numbers
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I've been jumping my nitro 135 for the last 600 jumps and i know i'm not going to change that canopy as long as it's airworthy.
i have never encountered any tendency to spin up, as mentioned by another poster. contrary the nitro will fly straight even in severe linetwists (as long as they are symmetrical, but that should be a no brainer)

Question for you and some one else above that said almost the same thing:

You say you have jumped the nitro 135 for 600 jumps and your profile says 680 jumps. So did you start jumping it at 80 jumps (30 more than the op)? or are the jump numbers just not up to date?
Scars remind us that the past is real

My AFF instructor has been watching me closely and he thought a good canopy for me would be a spectre and from what i can gather there would not be a big difference in the two. Personally i know jack shit with 50 jumps, thats why i'm here talking with you guys but I dont just deploy and glide nicely into flaged area, i like to throw it about and see if i can scare myself shitless...

I jump both a Nitro and CF2. And as stated, the Nitro is NOT a canopy for someone at 50 jumps. Additionally, it is NOTHING like the Spectre. Highly encourage you to discuss this issue with your instructor. We don't want to be reading about you in the Incidents Forum.

As for specific flight and packing characteristics... discuss with your instructor.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

ok - you got me :) i have a rapid downsizing career going from mantas over falcons and sabres :o to the nitro 150 in something like 50 jumps. over here we have a somewhat laid back attitude regarding wing loading and canopy size.

do i think it was clever to downsize that quickly? looking back i think, that a slower progress definitely has it's merrits especially if you have somebody actually teaching you how to fly a canopy (classes in canopy control are actually non-existant in my part of the world)
i also have to admit, that I've never been into the swooping thing nor do i want to go that way, and that i've had my crashes where i was lucky not to harm myself (other than a few bruises)

if i had to buy a new canopy today I'd upsize to a 150 and i think that pilots are great *jmo*

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I have jumped a Nitro 108 for the past 600 jumps or so (loaded about 1.95 to 1) and I love it. Opens very reliably in 300-400 feet. Has never spun up on me. You can be sitting cockeyed in the harness, shift your weight during opening, even have a brake fire - and all it does is start turning. When you compare it to other canopies in its class (like the Crossfire) it is a _lot_ more stable.

I have a friend of mine who uses a Nitro 135ish size for doing camera, and he likes it for the soft openings.

There was a batch Nitrons or Nitros that was delivered with small sliders. Most of the people figured it out pretty quickly.

I have a friend who jumps a Nitro 150. He absolutely loves it. The canopy was always spinning him into line twist and he even had to chop it once because of that.

I put 1 jump on it doing a hop n pop and was warned to get some air speed before opening so I toke about a 5 sec. delay and it spun me up. :S

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

Tell him to talk to HiperUSA. I'm going to bet that his slider is too small. I've jumper Nitros for many moons and never had that problem but the one person who did found out that his slider was too small.

Haha skydivingchad and I were demoing the same canopy...

No one else at our DZ jumps a nitro so we just thought it was part of the ride :P

The jumper that owns the wing thinks that its the bee's knees though!

--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Haha skydivingchad and I were demoing the same canopy...

No one else at our DZ jumps a nitro so we just thought it was part of the ride :P

The jumper that owns the wing thinks that its the bee's knees though!

Yeah, this guy at my DZ loved his Nitro but kept getting sput up. He sent it back and they said the slider was wrong. We have a lot of people jumping Nitros at my DZ and everyone loves the openings; always soft and on heading.

The nitro is a very popular canopy at my dz. Lots of fun jumpers, instructors, and vidiots use them. I've put about 25 jumps on a Nitro 135 and 5 on a Nitro 120, and they really are very nice, fun canopies. I agree with billvon about it being very very stable with great openings.

What size are you looking at and what would your wing loading be? Without knowing the wingloading I can't say if I would think it was a good idea or not.
(what size and how much do they want?;))

Personally, I love my Nitro. The black lines seem to draw alot of attention. Some thought I got the black lines to match my stuff.:S

judy

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Wingload is total suspended weight (you, clothes, rig, helmet etc) in lbs divided by the square footage, so if 200 lbs then the WL is 1.33 where up to 1.0-1.1 is recommended for your jumpnumbers. So that means a 190 would be a good size for you.

ciel bleu,
Saskia