drdive

Cypress took 4 weeks!!

We sent in my wife's Cypress 2 for it's 4 year service. Our rigger said they usually take about 2 weeks to come back. Well, it was a day or two under 4 weeks for it to be returned. Luckily it got back before our upcoming Florida trip. Anyway, 4 weeks and $207 later, I am thinking the Vigil or Argus is sounding good next time I need an AAD.

Ed
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Sebastian. Going for the invasion boogie. I bought a timeshare in Sebastian, 2 miles from the DZ, 1st week in Jan every year. Cost me 960$ including closing costs on Ebay:)
Ed

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I am thinking the Vigil or Argus is sounding good next time I need an AAD.

That conclusion appears to say that you would have been happier to not know that your Cypres was not meeting the original specifications (assuming the extra time was needed to make repairs instead of just slow shipping).

Consider that your Cypres was working just fine, no problems during the start-up self-test, and then when SSK did the full series of tests including accuracy/resolution, high/low temp, vibration, etc it failed to meet the original standards. Does this mean it would have necessarily failed to save your life if needed? No, but it does mean that the mfg is not comfortable with the self test being the only check on the proper function of the unit, and for very good reason - some fail! The self test can't check things to the same extent as can be done at the factory.

Given the fact that some units with no self-test errors have to be sent back for a major overhaul after failing the std maintenance test series makes me not want to trust the Vigil or Argus self test as the only check during its lifetime. Perhaps their self test is much more complete than the Cypres', but I don't think so.

The self test cannot simulate a jump (simulate the pressures on the transducer) to test the entire system, it just is a partial check of the health of the electronics.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

We sent in my wife's Cypress 2 for it's 4 year service. Our rigger said they usually take about 2 weeks to come back. Well, it was a day or two under 4 weeks for it to be returned. Luckily it got back before our upcoming Florida trip. Anyway, 4 weeks and $207 later, I am thinking the Vigil or Argus is sounding good next time I need an AAD.

Ed

hey, would you rather be ignorant of your cars mechanical needs and just do oil changes every 3K miles just to have it crap out at 100K or be willing to pay a little more to a mechanic to check it out and do the preventative maintenance ?

this is quite similar. SSK taking their time to figure out what's going on and how to recalibrate the Cypres2 - IS A GOOD THING. Keep in mind the Cypres2 came out March 2003 and with the first service due +-6 months us, lazy skydivers are just now starting to swamp SSK with the units. Diagnostics take time.

At least Cypres2's don't issue constant safety bulletins, and cutter replacements. How many years did it take Vigil to come out with Vigil II ??? The original Cypres is STILL 100% airworthy, and had a 12 year production run.....

think

So your rigger said about two weeks. Lets say you can + or - 3 or 4 days as a standard deviation. So now you could expect up to 18 days as a turn around.

Then you send your Cypres in right around Thanksgiving. So between all the days off from Turkey day and Christmas, and including shipping across the country from Spokane to Ohio during the busiest shipping time of the year, you've got a problem with them it taking 26 days dorr-to-door?

Based on an estimate that your rigger, not the company doing the work, gave you? Right at the end of the jumping season for half of the country? Durign the time when most jumpers schedule to have their rigs apart for service?

These are not reasons give up on your Cypres. How long do you think it will take to get a Vigil or Argus back if you have to send it in. Where do you even send a Vigil or Argus? Where do they have an established servcie center in the states?

This looks like your first expereince with SSK, file it away in your brain, and have a more realistic expectation the next time you need a check up.

So your rigger said about two weeks. Lets say you can + or - 3 or 4 days as a standard deviation. So now you could expect up to 18 days as a turn around.

Then you send your Cypres in right around Thanksgiving. So between all the days off from Turkey day and Christmas, and including shipping across the country from Spokane to Ohio during the busiest shipping time of the year, you've got a problem with them it taking 26 days dorr-to-door?

Based on an estimate that your rigger, not the company doing the work, gave you? Right at the end of the jumping season for half of the country? Durign the time when most jumpers schedule to have their rigs apart for service?

These are not reasons give up on your Cypres. How long do you think it will take to get a Vigil or Argus back if you have to send it in. Where do you even send a Vigil or Argus? Where do they have an established servcie center in the states?

This looks like your first expereince with SSK, file it away in your brain, and have a more realistic expectation the next time you need a check up.

Amen!
I cant believe that this person is moaning about a 4 week turn around with all the holidays and the xmas boogies etc. It would take 4 days to ship it each way or at least 4 days before they even receive the thing.

Some people are just ungrateful with good quality service that they come to a public forum and make themselves look stupid moaning about something that is so little.

Maybe you should change your rigger seeing he was the one who put your expectations up. It was him at fault, not SSK

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Fucking seriously, this has to be the stupidest most ungrateful thread to cap off the year 2007.

'Cypres took 4 weeks!!!'

how does someone moan about that???

Go take a sport up where they do not need to service trusted equipment that saves your life

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I cant believe that this person is moaning about a 4 week turn around with all the holidays and the xmas boogies etc. It would take 4 days to ship it each way or at least 4 days before they even receive the thing.

It wasn't 4 weeks. It was two days LESS than 4 weeks.

Lets keep in mind that SSK has been doing the work on Cypres in the states at least as long as I've been jumping. There's something to be said for the length of their service with Airtec, their experience with AADs, and their track record in terms of quality control.

I think this thread has decided it for me. Because it might take two days less than 4 weeks to get my cypres serviced i might buy a different AAD that has never ending bulletins and is banned from many a dropzones around the world.:S

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

i just thought of another thing - I buy stuff from a company in Seattle a few times per month. UPS ground shipping from Seattle to Cleveland takes 5 business days.

Shipping from Spokane to Coumbus is about the same distance, so it would be two weeks to ship it there and turn around and ship it back the same day.

You mean to tell me that SSK couldn't test and re-ship a Cypress in the time between the moring deliveries and the afternoon UPS pick up? That's at least 4 or 4 1/2 hours, what are they doing with all that time?????

Au Contraire...

I read the forums on here to get a general idea of how long the Cypres 2 would take and found 3-4 weeks to be a minimum (including shipping). Since I wanted the cypres shipped to Sunrise Manuf. to be installed in my new container, I asked SSK if they could tell me an ETA on it (so I could let Sunrise know when to expect it). They said 3-4 weeks (less anything strange come up in the testing), and it took 3-4 weeks. They also have an online system where you can tracked when it was received, shipped, etc. I found their customer service to be excellent, & they replied to any questions via telephone or email within a day.

Honestly, being a new skydiver and recently buying all my gear, I've found all the manufacturers/dealers I've worked with to have surprisingly exceptional customer service.

Mine is on its way back to me. It took 4 weeks also. I figured it would be busy this time of year considering it is winter and that means down time for those that don't like the cold.

Edit: I wouldn't switch AADs just because service is slow due to increased work load.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Ok Ok I got all your points, slams, etc.

Regardless, I think 4 weeks for the turnaround is fucking NOT good service. Just my opinion, and next time, I'll buy something else.

Ed

"

Fucking seriously, this has to be the stupidest most ungrateful thread to cap off the year 2007.

'Cypres took 4 weeks!!!'

how does someone moan about that???

Go take a sport up where they do not need to service trusted equipment that saves your life

Hey, I was just posting my experience and my opinion.

Edited to delete obscenities, bigway

"

Do you have any idea what sort of testing the unit goes through? Some of the tests take DAYS to conduct.

I'm not sure that it takes DAYS to do the testing. You may be right - have you been there to see how long it takes?????? If you have inside knowledge, feel free to comment some more. Fortunately, 4 weeks did not make a difference, but my rigger said 2 weeks, and if we had a trip or jumps planned, it would have been an issue. I will strongly consider a competitor when it is time to replace mine.

Ed

"

My cypress that doc is talking about -

hey, would you rather be ignorant of your cars mechanical needs and just do oil changes every 3K miles just to have it crap out at 100K or be willing to pay a little more to a mechanic to check it out and do the preventative maintenance ?

If you knew how neurotic doc is about his car than this would crack you up - I think that the concern is that I was without my cypress for the last 6 weeks - 4 weeks to get it back and then the rigger got busy and took some time to get it back in my rig. I think the point he was trying to make is that we thought it would not be so close in getting in back otherwise it would have been sent in a little sooner. Did it need more maintenance than expected - maybe - maybe not. It was the holiday season and things do slow down. In the long run will it make a difference- No, we are closed for the season anyway....just wanted my rig up to date and ready to go for florida. In the end .... does it change my opinion about cypress - no, I still would go with cypress over vigil or argus. Had I been able to jump and didn't because I didn't have an AAD I might be singing a different tune or sit and be very frustrated. I think that Doc just thought that service would be more expedient than what it was - we were told about 2 weeks from our rigger - obviously it took longer and our rigger was incorrect about the 2 week turn around - who knows, maybe they had a bunch come it at the same time...hard to know the circumstances behind the situation without talking to the company. IN the end....my rig is ready to go, I am a happy wife and you know what they say......"Happy wife.....Happy life.";)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!