LisaM

Scuba?

PADI ADV-Lic. Scuba makes vacation time very relaxing with family (all have jumped- none current though)

As far as relaxing= night dives make for great color of underwater life but, I get a bit paranoid while doing it.

After I scuba dive I want to have a drink and relax.. it puts me in a very relaxing mood.

Breath nitrox in stead, less nitrogen in ya blood, as its what makes ya tired.

I've been diving since I was 8 and 23 now
don't believe in pieces of paper.
having smart experienced dive buddies is always safer then getting bits of paper etc.

Been SCUBA certified for about two years now. Well oddly enough I got interested in SCUBA when I went snorkeling in Key West right after attending the Keys Boogie@Marathon. Something like moving from crack to heroin! (Metaphorically speaking) :D

Got into Tech Diving after diving the fresh water Caves in NW Florida. Recently got Full Cave certified and must say it was one of the most difficult training course I have take yet. I honestly think my instructor tried to kill me on few occasions inside a cave.

For Scuba enthusiasts I would recommend reading "The Shadow Divers" and "The Last Dive", very interesting true stories.

I have seen the best: Roatan, Cozumel, all over the Eastern Caribean
I have seen the worst: Body recoveries in the Cape Fear river, weapons recovery in the mouth of the fucking Chagris River in Panama.

I'm spoiled. I have only dived in the Carribean--some of the best spots in the world. I've pretty much scuba'd everywhere there.

The latter you referred to, would most definitely do a number on me, I think. I thank God for people like you who take care of such things so that people like me can live better lives;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Got my PADI Open Water in 2004, did Advanced Open Water down in New Zealand later that year and haven't dived since then, though I would like to. It's come down to two things: 1) it's flippin' cold to dive up here and if I were going to do it right, I'd have to invest in a dry suit and 2) I can really only invest time/money in one expensive hobby.

However, I will probably end up being an occasional scuba diver when I'm on vacations. My plan is to do the occasional dive with an organized dive group and with refresher training. Although I am certified, I know enough to know I'd need some help/retraining before I got underwater again.

I really enjoy it, though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just got licensed last summer, and got to dive 6 times this winter in Aruba, St Lucia, and Curacao. On one dive in Aruba, got to swim through a wreck. I guess I wasn't suppose to since Im not wreck certified but the instructor motioned me to follow him. Hard to dive though, considering its winter and when I'm home the only close place to dive is a rock quarry

Is there such a thing as a SCUBA god, like a skygod?

That attitude, or the perception of that attitude is in everything.

People are people no matter what hobby they play in.

The factors are:
1. The person
2. Another person's perception of the first person.

I've talked to some divers who like to tell a whole lot of "no shit there I was stories", and they like to brag about all the exotic locations they went to

Those same kind of stories told by a skydiver could cause another jumper to call that guy a "skygod".

I guess SCUBA diving is more about just having fun rather than trying to look cool.

Here are a few types of Skydivers that have equivelant SCUBA folks.

1. The old hand. Not as cutting edge, but has tons of experience. "Been there done that, and lived".

2. The eager learner. Always willing to learn and always open to advice.

3. The self proclaimed expert. Either person has little to no experience, but thinks they know more or enough to not bother listening to anyone they don't want to. In skydiving it could be the guy with 100 jumps pulling low or on a tiny canopy. In SCUBA it might be the guy that takes his brother diving who is not certified.

4. The "God". This is a person either a self proclaimed expert, or an old hand. And for some reason you don't like something about them...Either they don't listen, or say things you don't want to hear.

5. Pros. They make a living from the sport/hobby.

6. Shooting stars. They show up, do it a bunch and leave.

There are tons more.

The simple fact is that in most activities you will see people who meet all of these names...The activity does not matter that much.

(I have about 60 dives, but actually don't like it that much. I think skydiving is more exciting, and also more relaxing too.)

Is it possible, that with 60 dives (most likely 30 two tank trips right?) vs 388 jumps, you have spent more time on a DZ around skydivers than SCUBA around divers? And with time you might see the same type of folks in both sports?

Also, a good number of SCUBA divers are once a year, or twice a year divers on vacation. You never really get to know them much.

Thoughts?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I work from 7 to 4, he works from 4 to 1am, I have child care til 6 each night and the instruction center is virtually next door to the daycare....

any advice before I start?:)

Give up smoking, practice deep controlled breathing, and relax
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

scuba has a bigger % of "dam I've done nothing with my life I'm sad little person but now I'm a scuba diver I''m elite and must be better then others" then any other sport.

because it isn't really extreme and a lot have done it before, but less then majority of society have dived
but people will do it and within 5 dives they consider there self experts and think that since they have bought the most expensive gear they must be a better diver then everyone else
and expensive gear means your extreme
believe me I've seen it all, a lot of tossers in scuba

scuba has a bigger % of "dam I've done nothing with my life I'm sad little person but now I'm a scuba diver I''m elite and must be better then others" then any other sport.

because it isn't really extreme and a lot have done it before, but less then majority of society have dived
but people will do it and within 5 dives they consider there self experts and think that since they have bought the most expensive gear they must be a better diver then everyone else
and expensive gear means your extreme
believe me I've seen it all, a lot of tossers in scuba

And you don't see this in skydiving?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Don't find it all that interesting anymore - it's not a challenge, and it's the challenge that I find interesting in skydiving.

I can understand that perfectly. I got bored with reef/fish spotting dives soon after getting into this sport but then I found Tech Diving (Wreck & Cave Diving) and IMO I find it pretty challenging and interesting. Diving deeper (below 130feet) and longer requires a lot of planning,discipline & training. Your equipment configuration is completely different from normal SCUBA, you are likely to be carrying multiple breathing gases, develop your own diving table for that dive, etc.

My most memorable moment was inside a cave when my buddy silted the place out (0 visibility), I could not see anything at all but only hear my heart beating like crazy. We did manage to get out of the place but this could very early been a double fatality. Both sports have their challenging sides..IMO.