LisaM

Scuba?

Almost all of the skydivers at Emerald Coast skydiving are regular SCUBA divers as well. We are really looking forward to the sinking of the U.S.S. Oriskany this spring off Pensacola. It will be the worlds largest artificial reef. If anyone out there wants to spend a fun weekend with us come on down !! We will jump Saturday and do a sunset beach jump to the Flora-Bama. Sunday we will go diving. My Friend has a 54 ft dive boat for 30 divers.

Blue Skies, Timber
a.k.a. "Matador"Rodriguez

How many people here are certified scuba divers?

Me. (Thanks Whitney!)

How do you find scuba diving in relation to skydiving.

Scary!

After I skydive I want to scream and shout to the world how much fun it was and I get perma grin. After I scuba dive I want to have a drink and relax.. it puts me in a very relaxing mood.

Just curious!

Both end up relaxing me by the end of the day...
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Got my Open Water C-Card from PADI when I was 16-have 50 dives (most are night dives on Draegers, w/combat load.) Did'nt dive again till after I enlisted.

Made my first skydive 10 months ago-have nearly 100 jumps now-you do the math as to which I prefer to spend money on!!!

Diving is cool-but I think it is more geared towards old retired guys in FL...If you want to make things interesting though-strap a Draeger on, w/weapon, ammo, ruck (radio/gear), canteens, LBE, etc. then-hit the water late at night-swim 5 mi w/ all that shit on-bumping into fish bigger than you-and IF-you stayed on azmyth w/ you compass-hit the beach and start a war!!!
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

If you want to make things interesting though-strap a Draeger on, w/weapon, ammo, ruck (radio/gear), canteens, LBE, etc. then-hit the water late at night-swim 5 mi w/ all that shit on-bumping into fish bigger than you-and IF-you stayed on azmyth w/ you compass-hit the beach and start a war!!!

I actually do this...:|:|:| Me and all my civilian friends...:|:|:|

---
xenaswampjumper SPANKS THIS ASS!!! I WISH karenmeal spanked this ass too.....

How many people here are certified scuba divers? How do you find scuba diving in relation to skydiving.

Just curious!

I took my scuba class about 91. Love to dive, my parents are long time boaters, and I have always been a fish in the water. Was on a week vacation at a lake one time (must have been about 14, walked off a cliff (bees were chasing me) and sprained my ankle and was on crutches for six weeks. One day later, I was sitting on the edge of the dock, putting on a mask and snorkle, and flopped into the water. Was only pissed that I couldn't water ski, and my brother and dad were jumping off a cliff into the water. Scuba diving is very relaxing, easily the most relaxing thing I do.

Skydiving is about ready to drive me nuts. As a newbie, I haven't figured out how the hell to coordinate my legs, arms and maintain an arch. I am not a natural athlete, and time flys by (pun intended) when you are skydiving. It's a blast, but it's sooooooo frustrating for me right now.

My attention span is lower than average, and I admit I feel overwhelmed trying to coordinate legs, arms and arch during a skydive. I also feel distracted, annoyed, etc., by the wind bashing at my face, it's just a distraction, I guess. Wonder if a full face helment would help that.

Skydiving is also not cheap, and my daughter decided to go back to school two months after I started skydiving, so money's tight right now.

Maybe if my DD decides to take the summer off, I will take a trip to Eloy, and spend a chunk of time in the tunnel. I suspect spending something like five or ten minutes at a time would help solve my coordination problems, or go a long way towards solving them. I also wondered about doing a total of ten minutes, followed by jumping once or twice, and repeating the same the next day or two days.

I knew exactly how to move my body on my first scuba dive, but that only makes sense, since it's not that much different from snorkeling.

I don't have the same gut knowledge of how moving my arm/leg/arch will affect my body position, motion or whatever in the air. It's just so unnatural to me, I guess. I started skydiving because my Dad broke his back (recovered almost 100%) on jump 15, as a paratrooper during WW2. Then his brother, my uncle, made one jump in the seventies and broke both bones in one leg. My goal was to break the family "curse", chain or whatever; that I have accomplished (need to update my numbers, must be about 15-18 jumps right now.) But part of me doesn't want to give up, and my other goal was to have my picture taken with a mountain in the background, like this picture http://skydivekapowsin.com/Web%20photos/IMG_9789.JPG
without the TM attached, since I don't want a picture as a passenger. Part of me doesn't want to give up, and part of me is soooooooo frustrated, and the money I have spent could buy a new dry suit for scuba diving :|

Skydiving is a fun, and much as Lisa describes it, after skydiving it's a whoop and holler, versus the super relaxing feeling after scubadiving.

Anybody know how to inject my brain full of skydiving cause and reaction knowledge?

Jeff
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

I'm too lazy to surf for past threads and re-post my answer:P

I LOVE scuba and have said before, if I had to choose (thank goodness I don't) I would most definitely choose being able to scuba over being able to skydive. There is SO much, in fact more than half the ocean that has yet to be discovered. Not that I'm going to discover it scuba-diving, but it's that mystery and that whole other world and the calm. Oh my gosh, the calm and the spectacular surroundings. I really, really love it.;)

After I skydive I want to scream and shout to the world how much fun it was and I get perma grin.

After I scuba & skydive I feel the same calm & happiness so there's really no difference to me there. I get more of a thrill scuba-diving than skydiving.

:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

It's all good, Im very good with problem students:)

My instructors were awesome. I was very nervous in the open water because well.. we were at 30 feet deep and because it was a different instructor. I was scared to death. In the pool a student instructor spent like 15 minutes with me practicing the mask off thing so I could pass it. I've never been that scared skydiving in my life.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Almost all of the skydivers at Emerald Coast skydiving are regular SCUBA divers as well. We are really looking forward to the sinking of the U.S.S. Oriskany this spring off Pensacola. It will be the worlds largest artificial reef. If anyone out there wants to spend a fun weekend with us come on down !! We will jump Saturday and do a sunset beach jump to the Flora-Bama. Sunday we will go diving. My Friend has a 54 ft dive boat for 30 divers.

Blue Skies, Timber
a.k.a. "Matador"Rodriguez

Dayum! That sounds like a party ... when will we know the exact dates??

<-----PADI dive master, US Army Combat Dive Supervisor.

I have seen the best: Roatan, Cozumel, all over the Eastern Caribean
I have seen the worst: Body recoveries in the Cape Fear river, weapons recovery in the mouth of the fucking Chagris River in Panama.

Personally, even though I dived (and got paid to) my entire military career, I never got enough out of it to consider it as a sport hobby. Fun, but not that fun. Lots of others disagree, but those are mostly people who have never experienced the bad (or "work") side of it.

Chuck
PS: there are several threads on this already, so you may want to do a search and see what others said.

looking forward to the sinking of the U.S.S. Oriskany this spring off Pensacola.

I've been keeping up with this. Did some diving off Destin while going thru training at P-Cola. I like your friend. Sounds like a good weekend to me. I'll keep in touch.

I do both quite regularly and even posted this same question about a year ago. The best answer I got about the similarities of the two were ... cost and equipment.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

How many people here are certified scuba divers?

Naui: Open Water, Advanced, Master. I have 200+ dives. I almost got killed jumping and started SCUBA diving. I dove almost every day for about 6 mths. Spent some time in some of FL's wonderful caves.

How do you find scuba diving in relation to skydiving.

Normal diving is boring in the gulf. Tech diving really got my blood pumping. In both, if you screw up you die. And both require training and currency.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

What is tech diving?

For some reason it popped into my head how our instructor told us a story of his buddy being a bit aways and dropped his regulator simulating he was out of air and he had to go "save" him...the mere thought makes me so scared... not skydiving scared....or roller coaster scared...scared scared...bad scared...maybe it's not for me...hehehe......

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

What is tech diving?

Tech diving is just advanced diving (Technical). Sometimes it requires advanced gear, or training.

Cave diving would be "tech".

Looking on the outside of a wreck would be recreational, going into the wreck would be "Technical"

Its just advanced diving.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Is there such a thing as a SCUBA god, like a skygod? I haven't met any, I've talked to some divers who like to tell a whole lot of "no shit there I was stories", and they like to brag about all the exotic locations they went to, but I've never really met a cocky asshole SCUBA diver. I guess SCUBA diving is more about just having fun rather than trying to look cool.

(I have about 60 dives, but actually don't like it that much. I think skydiving is more exciting, and also more relaxing too.)

I think I have been diving for around 13 years now... was a lot more fun when I was a teenager, but I still get out for a few dives a year.

The most interesting thing I learned was, that you can in fact puke through a regulator.

Hey, the fish liked it.