hobbes4star

Shipping a gun?

Thank you great site for info. Normaly I would just put the gun in a box and ship it, But this particular weapon has been in the family since the beginning of the 1900's so I would like to be as carefull as possible.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

The easiest way is to contact the local authorities (In both states) and ask them the requirements. Get their advice in writing so that if they fuck-up and give you the wrong advice your ass is covered (I speak of this from experience)

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

UPS requires it to be shipped 1 day priority. Thats the only option. Im dealing with this now as i want to send my XD9 out for a trigger job. Its about $45 one way. Thats the crappy part.

here is fed ex policy.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us_main.html?/us/services/terms/popup_tc_us_body.html#firearms

here is UPS policy

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

Here is DHL's policy

They do not ship firearms...

The ammunition thing is no big deal either. I just received some ammunition I ordered over the internet. Want to do some testing on it before i consider it to save my life. UPS guy just left the lil box on my door step. same as any other package.

hope all this helps. Dont worry just make sure its packaged to keep it safe since it is a family heirloom;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

To be safe...

Must be shipped from dealer to dealer. They will charge a small fee. They will ship it for you.

Check your local state laws

In many states you can ship yourself for repair. Use FEDEX or UPS Next day air.

DO NOT Ship by USPS Just carrying it on the property is a felony.

seriously, if you do not want to take a chance of it getting lost...pick it up. Many firearms get"LOST" in transit. Keep it securely encased and in the trunk. Do not store ammo with it. Do not drive through Nevada. Some areas you can not even transport a firearm.

Again, if you are unsure call reputable dealers in BOTH states.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

Do not use the US Postal Service. Bad choice....

UPS or FedEx will ship firearms.

Expecially if it's an assault weapon - they know how to use those. . . .

can't seem to find a watch or a clock anywhere - but damn can they use an A-K

Hi Doc.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DO NOT Ship by USPS Just carrying it on the property is a felony.

That applies to handguns only.

The USPS will ship long guns. I've done it.

Quite correct.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

Just carrying it on the property is a felony.

here u go. It depends on state laws. But as far as federal law is concerned just have to be Liscensed to carry.

in the state of Texas as long as you have you CHL its not an issue.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rtc-usps.html

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

a pistol of some sort. it is not a gun that you just take and shoot. as far as I know it is worth some money. I can't for the life of me understand why he left it to me. I barely knew him, It should have gone to my brother. I don't/can't have kids and have no one to leave it to. It will end up with my brother's kid in the end. It will be just something that I will put in a safe and will it off.

thanks again for all of the information all of you as always have been very helpful
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

a pistol of some sort. it is not a gun that you just take and shoot. as far as I know it is worth some money.

Post a photo of it. Provide the inscriptions found on it. I've got reference books where I can look things up, and possibly identify it, and tell you how much it's worth.