JohnRich

Will you stop to pick up a penny?

I'll pick up a quarter, usually. I suppose I'd pick up a half-dollar or dollar coin if anyone actually used those in the U.S.

Of course, lately I'm spending lots of time in Canada, so I guess I'd definitely pick up a loonie or toonie.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thats depends is it face up or face down? :D

Usually same here. (But sometimes I pick it up and then act as if it were face up.)

You can never have too much luck. :)
Karen

Your entire day is ALWAYS full of luck -

Some good and some bad - you can DEFINATELY have too much bad luck.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

This question is hilarious. I've actually had this discussion with a very rich friend who thinks anyone who does NOT pick up the penny is a snob.

I'm a snob by his definition, then:P

Money in its hard form is gross, it's dirty and who knows what's been on that penny. I don't carry much cash. I think I have had the same "emergency stash" in my wallet for more than a year now.

The only thing I carry, change-wise, are quarters. I think I would pick up a quarter if I saw one. But that would mean I'd have to be looking at the ground, and most of the time I'm looking straight ahead and occasionally smiling. The quarter on the ground would most likely go un-noticed by me.

Now, if it were a big bill....those I can smell;):P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'll only not pick it up if there's something gross on it, or it's in a mud puddle or something.

I put it into the armrest of my car, and use those pennies regularly...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have not spent one in years and have about two thousand dollars worth of them in ammo cans

>:( This is the kind of thing that drives me mad. :D

My hunny had one of those water jug things half-full of pennies when we met. He had it displayed in the living room as if it were art. When I moved in, the penny jug had to move out. I think he had $300 or something like that in there. He was pleased and so was I. Now his pennies go into a very non-obvious, much smaller jug that he has to empty when it gets full. I refuse to have a collection of pennies.

Who the hell spends pennies anyways? Why do we need pennies? Can't we just make shit even? Accumulated pennies are annoying>:(

Again, I'm a card-swiping kinda girl;) And my Amex Gold gives me points that I redeem monthly for a Banana Republic gift card. My cash never did that! It makes things so much nicer---don't have to handle dirty money, and just pay everything at once, once/month. BRILLIANT. I worship the Amex Gold God. He's even granted me free shipping on any online purchase over $50. Again, my cash never did that! Oh, and the Gold God also insures me when I travel as long as I pay for the plane ticket with it. Cash just gets lost on the trip (well, not by me. I dont' loose money. EVER.;))

<----loves her Amex Gold. Cash is gross!:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I actually often get chastized for not only picking up the pennies... but for my attempts to keep them safe. Meaning that if I'm in scrubs, things fall out of scrub pockets ALL the time, so if I put the penny in my pocket, then soon, I will be dropping it - which is bad luck. So I tuck it ... ummmm... under my shirt and make sure that it won't fall when I move about. But then I get little green dots in unique places. :$

Karen

I pick 'em up if I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. Into the pocket, then into either a spare cupholder in my truck or a pile on my dresser, and eventually into a big plastic Bud Light bottle along with all my other change. It works out to a couple hundred bucks in change a year (very little of which is "found" change, but that's part of it).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I actually often get chastized for not only picking up the pennies... but for my attempts to keep them safe. Meaning that if I'm in scrubs, things fall out of scrub pockets ALL the time, so if I put the penny in my pocket, then soon, I will be dropping it - which is bad luck. So I tuck it ... ummmm... under my shirt and make sure that it won't fall when I move about. But then I get little green dots in unique places. :$

Karen

You have no idea how hard that made me laugh.

My hunny had one of those water jug things half-full of pennies when we met. He had it displayed in the living room as if it were art.

Nope. To him it was art.

When I moved in, the penny jug had to move out. I think he had $300 or something like that in there. He was pleased and so was I. Now his pennies go into a very non-obvious, much smaller jug that he has to empty when it gets full. I refuse to have a collection of pennies.

Yep. That's how it starts.