councilman24

180 cycle decision has NOT been made!

I've been informed that at least one rigger, and probably many other uses, believe that the repack cycle for emergency and reserve parachutes in the U.S. has been changed to 180 days. IT HAS NOT.

No decision has yet been published by the FAA. They have 18 months from the closing of the comment period on the PROPOSED RULE to make a final decision. Until they do so, publish it, and we understand the effective date, the inspection cycle is STILL 120 DAYS.

If you can't convince someone of this ask them to show you the published rule and changed FAR's.

PIA Rigging Committee Chairman
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

any idea of if or when it will change?

They have 18 months from the closing of the comment period on the PROPOSED RULE to make a final decision.

Welcome to the Federal Government. Have a seat and we'll call your number....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

UK is still 6 months but in Spain apparently its now 1 year !!!
It would be nice to have some uniformity cos having maybe for you guys and gals depending on how often you jump 3 reserve repacks a year is not only expensive but shortens your reserve life comparitive to a UK jumper and now especially a Spanish jumper.
Hope you get your 180 at least.
:)

Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

I've been informed that at least one rigger, and probably many other uses, believe that the repack cycle for emergency and reserve parachutes in the U.S. has been changed to 180 days. IT HAS NOT.

How about now? :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

> Does this mean that it looks like it actually is going to change . . .

The comment period has ended, so they will review the comments and decide whether or not it makes sense to implement the change. Generally a NPRM means they are quite serious about the proposed change.

I would characterize it this way. The FAA decided that it may be a resonable change based on the wavier application. They issued the NPRM to get comments from the community. They got those. They have to rebut each negative comment individually. There are some legitamit reasons to stay at 120. The split proposal 120/180 makes some sense too. The fact that the NPRM was published doesn't make it a done deal eventually and doesn't mean they can't rewrite the rule change.

There are many people envolved that believe it will change to 180 days. The sceptic in me says it's a toss up. About equal numbers of professional riggers supported it as opposed it.

Got a coin?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

IT HAS NOT.

How about now? :P

Are we there yet, are we there yet...:P

Thanks for the update Terry.

I've got pilots that are almost accusing me of hiding the change from them (as though it was already in place)... I keep telling them "you've delt with the FAA... you tell me how fast they are to make things easier...??"

Personally I'm fine with 180 as long as they don't all want them on the same day.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I've got pilots that are almost accusing me of hiding the change from them (as though it was already in place)...

Sh*t!!!

I haven't meet a pilot yet that gets his bail-out rig repaced every 120 days let alone would ever 180.

Tell them to quit their bitchin' and call up the local FSDO and ask if its 120 or 180 days? I'd be stunned if anyone there knew on the spot and didn't have to go look it up... that's if they even picked up the phone in the first place.

:D:D

I've got pilots that are almost accusing me of hiding the change from them (as though it was already in place)...

Sh*t!!!

I haven't meet a pilot yet that gets his bail-out rig repaced every 120 days let alone would ever 180.

:D:D

Most of mine do, but they're involved in a weekly airshow with a Fed on the field EVERY week.

The down side is that the show goes 6 mo... means EVERYONE will want their rig packed the week before the season so as to last through the end of the season (~180 days later)... I think I will start charging premium for that week.

JW

...I think I will start charging premium for that week...

A lot of riggers I know are already saying they are going to nearly double their price ($50ish to $80ish) for a reserve repack if the cycle goes to 180 days. So, it wouldn't be like you'd be the only one out there doing that.

I will likely do so in '08 regardless, but then I haven't raised my core prices since 1999.

I don't rig FOR the money, but its starting to cost me more money and time than its been worth... (OK, it always was...)

JW

Welcome to the Federal Government. Have a seat and we'll call your number....

I know this is off subject but its amazing how fast they act if they get paid enough!

Except for the recent change to the mandatory retirement age for air carrier pilots to 65. The House passed it last monday, the Senate on Tuesday, the President on Wednesday, effectively immediately! Talk about a screw job!