Andy_Copland

Fear of Needles?

I find it strange that im half covered in tattoo's yet today at the Dr's i could feel my heart pumping right out my chest and nearly having a panic attack :S

I've been shot, stabbed, and beaten with a stick, and never passed out, but if I watch em sticking in a needle taking my blood, I'll face plant in mere seconds. :S

Have you seen those fucking needles! They are all small, stingy and you can feel all the liquid just struggling to absorb into your muscle as they inject... 2 more to look forward to and a blood test [:/]

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Have you seen those fucking needles! They are all small, stingy and you can feel all the liquid just struggling to absorb into your muscle as they inject... 2 more to look forward to and a blood test [:/]

Ever seen the big_fat_long needles used when they take blood sample? ;);) Now that's something to enjoy.... :P

My blood type is a rare one, so I donate every 3 months. No problem at all.

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Have you seen those fucking needles! They are all small, stingy and you can feel all the liquid just struggling to absorb into your muscle as they inject...

Let's hope you never have a knee, shoulder or back injury. You'd love them needles... :o
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

One of my biggest fears are IVs. I have weak small veins that are all bumpy and it takes multible times and me begging them to use at the largest a 18 before the vein holds up to the needle. And even then it wont hold for long. It is the most pain I have ever felt and I now refuse IVs. With this now comes the fear of needles in any form except a tattoo... that doesnt go in a vein or deep.

Edit to add yes Ive had a needle in my spin ... its part of trying to have pain free child birth [:/]B|
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

One of my biggest fears are IVs. I have weak small veins that are all bumpy and it takes multible times and me begging them to use at the largest a 18 before the vein holds up to the needle. And even then it wont hold for long. It is the most pain I have ever felt and I now refuse IVs. With this now comes the fear of needles in any form except a tattoo... that doesnt go in a vein or deep.

I guess I'm lucky enough to have veins like hosepipes. Of course, there was this one time where I went to give a blood sample at uni. The nurse was rushed and managed to push the needle clean through the vein and out the back, then she tried to draw blood. Now THAT HURT!!!
B|:D

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

I've got no problem with them at all... I donate blood regularly and have had IVs during surgeries/hospital stays before. I have kind of squirelly, deep veins though, so I always have to instruct someone who's drawing blood on which vein to use, and they have to be fairly skilled to hit it. The only time I really didn't like needles was when this one woman hacked at me for about six times before I finally said QUIT IT. She then said "Well, we'd still like you to donate can we try again?" I said, "I'd still like to donate but I'd like someone else to try, thanks."

When I get IVs they usually go straight to my hands because my veins are much happier down there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

***The thought of a needle going into my back (especially the bottom for some reason) just doesnt make my day at all. Anyone know what that feels like?

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I find it strange that im half covered in tattoo's yet today at the Dr's i could feel my heart pumping right out my chest and nearly having a panic attack :S

I voted and tried to read some fo the thread, but I started to get light headed.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Lisamarie, Insist that they have the IV start team do your IV whenever you need one. They usually have a nurse who can use a lidocaine wheal first before actually starting the IV. Also insist that they start them on long bones. That way they don't infiltrate as readily as others (no bendable parts to get in the way).

If the nurse cannot palpate a proper vein, do not let her start an IV in you. She should not have to rely on sight.
FGF #6
Darcy

Needles don't bother me, but I have crappy veins and they only get one shot. If they don't hit it the first time I do it myself. No, I've never been a heroine junkie. Years ago I was a vet tech and I practiced drawing blood on myself.

I do hate IV's though. They always end up putting it on the side of my wrist and it always hurts. Unfortunately, I'm not talented enough to thread an IV in myself. :|

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

If the nurse cannot palpate a proper vein, do not let her start an IV in you. She should not have to rely on sight.

Thats another thin, they say all the time "We got a good one... blah blah blah" I say "that will fall " they try anyways... I am right.

Theres a vein that always works under a tendon in my elbow, but normally they wont listen to me at first so I go through some problems first.

Im gonna print this out though, see if it works to get better service with them.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Theres a vein that always works under a tendon in my elbow, but normally they wont listen to me at first so I go through some problems first.

Oh, yeah, I have the same thing. I *know* which vein works... and so far they always listen to me even though they seem skeptical. It always works though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke