Brains

Stills series of my accident.

Ya know what? The more I think about this, the more I realize I shouldn't be so overly critical. Heck, on jump 999 I put two 55 gallon drums out in the landing area about five feet apart and tried to swoop downwind between them. I turned too low and crashed into the ground, resulting in not jumping for a month. I guess it was all part of the learning experience and made me the more safe swooper I am today.

It is easy to watch similar mistakes being made now that I have almost 3,000 jumps and be overly critical about the same choices I made myself at times.

I am glad it didn't turn out worse, Jeff. Heal fast! I apolgize if my posts came across as attacks towards you. They were certainly not meant that way. It's a fine line between trying to be helpful and remembering where I once was.

Can I have a hug Ron?

Kudos to Jeff for showing us pictures of his pond swoop gone wrong and this is definitely a scenario that many people can learn from. First off, swooping (while ever so fun) is not a safe activity. But as Jeff says, he'll get back on the horse once he's healed up and I'm sure he'll have a new added respect for the dangers of swooping (kind of sucks that people need to get hurt to learn some lessons, but it's happened to myself as well as others and hopefully we've learned from our mistakes in order to not make that BIG mistake).

Now on to the lessons that we can learn from this pond swoop gone wrong (keep in mind I am no expert on this topic).

1) That pond appears to need more water. It appears that we're looking a 2-3 vertical feet from the lip of the water to the top of the berm and going on my experiences when I was swooping Mile-Hi's pond first when it was first being filled and then once it was being drained, swooping in this sort of situation is not safe. You can only stay on the water for so long before you need to kind of pop it up in order to clear the berm, hoping that you have enough speed to be able to pop it up in the first place.

2) This applies to all pond swoops, but especially when people are learning to swoop ponds. Touching the water is optional. Clearing the berm is mandatory. The last thing you want to do is to be fixated on the water and not have enough speed to clear the berm and end up piling into it. When I was first learning on Mile-Hi's pond, it was very important (because I too was dealing with 3 foot berm) to carry my speed and to only try and touch the water once I knew I could clear the berm.

3) Related to point #2, it's very important to completely level out before you ever think of attempting to touch down on the water. There never was video of it and only three people witnessed it. But last summer about 10 days before the CPC Championships, I got to learn the ever so painful lesson of needing to level out before we ever think of touching down. I was jumping in calm winds where the depth perception was tricky and my right knee dug into the water and I was send head over heals through my lines (just as or even more violent than the pond swoop crashes seen in the latest Gravity Pilots DVD). Fortunately this happened in the middle of Mile Hi's pond (it's huge) and I landing in the water and not on the hard ground. Oh and I like to tell myself that this chow/crash never would have happened had it been over land since the depth perception (especially in no wind conditions) over water is much trickier. But we will never really know. I could have very well crashed on that jump either way and now I have an idea as to what it may feel like when people break their femurs.

4) Finally, sunset loads are not the time to go big. Sure this is usually when the most people come out to watch us land. But the lighting is usually poor, the winds typically have calmed down and the water is often very glassy looking making the depth perception extremely difficult. Last spring (not over a pond) I came ever so close to femuring on a sunset load. I had a good day of practice and I was hitting the entry gates. So on a sunset load (with plenty of people watching) I was determined to make the gates again to show people that I knew what I was doing. Well the problem started with the ever so increasing dimming lighting conditions, the fact that the entry gates at the time were red and hard to see, I was determined to make the gates and I spent too long in my turn trying to acquire the gates that only at the last possible second did I realize that I was getting low, I not only dug myself out of my grave but I also had to rotate my hips side ways to avoid hitting the ground. Truly not a smart thing to do on my part. I almost became an incident report only because (I hate to say it), I was trying to show off to the people who came out to watch the sunset load.

Anyway, hopefully Brains (or Jeff which ever way you wish to be called) you will see that my post wasn't trying to slam you. Swooping is ever so fun, but it is not safe and sometimes we live on a fine line with what we're doing up there. Pond swooping rocks, but the pond is not a safety device. Sure hitting water is better than hitting land, but we can still get hurt on the water and it also tends to makes us go harder than we would if we were swooping over land.

Hell fast, get back on the horse, have fun but stay safe.

Steve

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You can only stay on the water for so long before you need to kind of pop it up in order to clear the berm (hoping that you have enough speed) to be able to pop it up in the first place.

This evening once I get home, I can post a series of pictures from a pond swoop to help illustrate to some people what I mean by popping it up to clear the berm just in case some of you don't know what I'm taking about.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Can I have a hug Ron Acme?

Why suuuuure! :)

You're just looking to hijack this thread because you want some hugs. :ph34r:

She gives good hugs.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Love your avatar. Is that a cruise missile attached to the turtle?

I think it is one of those short takeoff rockets - but I eally don't know - I'll have to wander into SC one day and ask one of the gun fanatics.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>>Legs in front when you're going fast doesn't sound great -- it's an awesome lever when your heel hits something
<<

Would you rather have your legs in front, or your head in front?

Ladies, ladies! Come now, must it always degrade to sex talk in mixed company?? :S

:ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I am starting a new foundation: " Hijackers for Hugs" :)
We meet on Thursdays.
~Jaye

We meet on Thursdays.

Can it be virtual?

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh quit your whining about personal attacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow even MORE attacks.

Ron, ya gotta be kidding here. did you really take that personally?

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

Real hugs are much better than the virtual kind

And softer and squishier too - but I'll take what I can get.:)

thanks for the pix amigo and Denise:)Really was close but agree with previous comment. Your position under (or not) the canopy was notable. Looked good until that nasty rise came up and bit yer leg.

Dude, nice to see ya on Saturday. Im sorry it happened. Glad you are recovering.
Ignore the angry turds.

Yer still my hero.
DocB|

We meet on Thursdays.

Can it be virtual?

Suuuuure, why not?
~Jaye