Brains

Stills series of my accident.

No video exists, all i have is this series of stills. Thanks go to Denise Neal for the shots. No comments by me other than i shouldn't have been swooping that pond and i fucked up.[:/]

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

You get hurt?

Things I think I can see from the stills:

Set up furthur back, that way you're not "diving at the gate", or in this case to make it down on the water with such an uncomfortable approach angle.

When you do chow, keep the wing overhead....that's the most basic rule....well that and don't fuck up.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It looks like in #13 that you were almost going to stand up. Did you almost pull out of it?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You get hurt?

Things I think I can see from the stills:

Set up furthur back, that way you're not "diving at the gate", or in this case to make it down on the water with such an uncomfortable approach angle.

When you do chow, keep the wing overhead....that's the most basic rule....well that and don't fuck up.:P

yes, i broke my tibia on my right leg.[:/]
and about the setup, absolutely correct, i set up too close to the bank and was slightly downwind. I was also told about the chow/keep wing over top part. Inexperience on my part only compounded the problems.

skymama, truthfully i didn't remember standing up, i think it was more of a tumble.:$

CC, i plan on swooping again, just taking several steps back and working on consistent approaches.:)

In #7 things begin to go bad, but it still looked recoverable.

In #8 and #9, it looks like you've got your right arm out and your getting ready to fall. If you're trying to use your arms to brace for a fall, you are no longer flying the parachute.

Keep flying!

As far as stupid hurting goes, well, if it didn't hurt, would we ever learn?B|

Methane Freefly - got stink?

When did that happen? Was that the same day Eric Butts swooped and got completely submerged?

which time??:D Feb. 26th sunset load. I was out there on saturday, you didn't see me hobling around?;)

How bad was it?

spiral fracture of right tibia, surgery with one internal rod and two pins.

How long are you out?

3-4 months depending on re-hab.

Had you done this before?

yes, but only once on this pond.

Thanks for the info.

BTW I don't think you were stupid. You have enough experience to push things a bit.

The problem is sometimes pushing it gets you hurt.

Don't beat yourself up over it......Let us:P

Some of ths folks have given you really good advice about crashing.

I would like to add:
1. Wings level.
2. Flair as best you can.
3. Roll with it. Don't try to stand if it does not look good, PLF or something that kinda looks like a PLF.

Heal fast.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

***I was out there on saturday, you didn't see me hobling around?

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Let's see...

He admitted he shouldn't have swooping the pond, got in over his head, forced himself into a bad situation that he wasn't ready for and messed it up to the point of breaking himself and putting himself out of jumping for awhile. I would consider that to be a stupid choice. I have made alot of stupid choices, but fortunately, I have learned from them and think things over alot more now BEFORE the situation arises.

I know Brains and he is great guy and not stupid for sure. The CHOICE he made was stupid. And I think he will admit that. He already kinda did.

BTW I don't think you were stupid. You have enough experience to push things a bit.

Now THIS.... this is stupid! Experience is knowing what you have the skill for and what you don't. If he was using his experience, he would have chose NOT to swoop that pond. Saying that it is ok to "push things a bit" and put yourself into situations you aren't skilled enough for is what is stupid and what gets people hurt or killed. Great advice!:S

Now THIS.... this is stupid! Experience is knowing what you have the skill for and what you don't. If he was using his experience, he would have chose NOT to swoop that pond. Saying that it is ok to "push things a bit" and put yourself into situations you aren't skilled enough for is what is stupid and what gets people hurt or killed. Great advice!

Nice to see you would rather make personal attacks than be productive.

He has enough experience to make some calls. He was wrong on this one.

Notice I said "BTW I don't think you were stupid."

Or were you just too quick to attack? He made a bad call. And one to be honest didn't seem THAT bad. It just ended badly. People make mistakes.

As for pushing things a bit....Well I guess we should all jump Manta's and do stright in approaches? How do you expand YOUR skills if you don't push the edge at some point?

The trick is to make small steps...Which I bet he did. And try your best.

If no one ever pushed the edge a little...We all would still be sitting on the ground since even making that first jump is "pushing it a bit".

Lay off the dude, and lay off the personal attacks. Its a shame you bring your anger from another topic into this one.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Oh quit your whining about personal attacks.

You are giving, what I consider to be, piss poor advice, and I think i am allowed to state my opinion. But that's just my opinion. And maybe you can be a bit more extreme with the Manta thing?

Oh quit your whining about personal attacks.

Wow even MORE attacks. Its a shame you let other threads make you angry on EVERTHING.

You are giving, what I consider to be, piss poor advice, and I think i am allowed to state my opinion.

Sure you are...Notice I don't attack you for it huh?

And maybe you can be a bit more extreme with the Manta thing?

Its an exageration but an adept one. If we never "Pushed it a little bit", EXACT quote:

"BTW I don't think you were stupid. You have enough experience to push things a bit.

The problem is sometimes pushing it gets you hurt. "

I think he is not a stupid person, and I think we ALL have to push things a bit to move forward. If you don't you don't grow at all.

The trick is to not push to hard or too fast. He made a mistake....Big deal, we all make mistakes. He didn't make a gigantic error in making the choice even though the out come was bad.

Would you say the same thing to a student that broke their tib on their first jump? They did the SAME thing

The pushed themselves a bit and were wrong. They both got hurt.

They both will learn from it.

Edit: Spelling....Duh!

Nice pictures, Brains. Pity the subject.

I know less than nothing about swooping, but, well, I kinda thought it was time to get back to the pictures.

But I do know about landing. Legs in front when you're going fast doesn't sound great -- it's an awesome lever when your heel hits something :(

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Sorry about the break, but thanks for sharing your experience with us. I am sure that there are people out there who will take the time to examine the pictures and learn something from them. It hurts to break, and it hurts to be jabbed by others for sharing your experience with us, but some of us really do thank you.
I am married to a low time jumper, and I know that he appreciates every bit of knowledge that is shared by anyone at this point.
He will not be swooping any ponds any time soon, but there is someone, somewhere who is considering it, and looking at these pictures trying to learn from them.
I would hope that the jabbing that goes on between people here doesn't discourage others from sharing their experiences, good or bad.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]