bcmin

Downsizing with a mirage

I have a Mirage G3 M6 with a Sabre2 190 right now, and it fits fine. The question is, when the time comes (not for a while, but it doesn't hurt to think ahead) to downsize, will I be able to put a 170 in it, or would that be unsafe? The sizing on mirage's website doen't go smaller than a 190, which is a medium fit.

sorry to hijack(sort of) but why cant we use the same container for all canopy sizes but change deployment bags appropriate to the size of canopy and put shims in the main tray to give the bag a good fit? Does it have something to do with reserve and main sizes being too different and them flying badly together when they are both out at once? Is this the main reason or are there other big ones I am too new and ignorant to know? Thanks

EDIT: at least on vector they say you can go one size up or down from the recommended canopy size and still have it be a reasonable fit, however jumping in dry or high altitude climates you should not go one size up because the canopies pack bigger at high altitude. At least that was their reasoning as to why I couldn't order a container sized for a 150 and put a 170 in it for a while jumping out here in CO... But i guess it was a good thing, seeing as I cant get my slippery chute into the bag anyways:P

Drop an e-mail to Mirage and ask. Sometimes you can get a couple of downsizes out of a rig, sometimes you can't. You don't want to have something too loose in the tray. You'll get odd openings and you'll be a strong canidate for a premature opening (maybe even while you're in the door or during climb out).

For the second question from the second poster: sure that's been done before in the past and will probably continue to be done again in the future. Its a band-aid fix, though. I'm facing the same problem right now too. I've surprisingly been able to get a lot of downsizing out of my current rig (due to the cross bracing in my last two canopies), but my current canopy is kinda loose in the rig. So my solution is a similar band-aid fix until I can buy a new (or used) container.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For the second question from the second poster: sure that's been done before in the past and will probably continue to be done again in the future. Its a band-aid fix, though. I'm facing the same problem right now too. I've surprisingly been able to get a lot of downsizing out of my current rig (due to the cross bracing in my last two canopies), but my current canopy is kinda loose in the rig. So my solution is a similar band-aid fix until I can buy a new (or used) container.

well, damn, I honestly thought I was onto something here and really considered not posting it so no one would steal my idea... Oh well.