brabzzz

Vigil problem - or am i just being think?

Just acquired a Vigil and I'm either being thick or it's being thick!

To turn it on you mash the button and again after each flash. After the checks, if you don’t enter the setup mode, it flashes green and you get the smiley face.
If after the checks you quickly enter the setup mode, it cycles through config, setup, info (or whatever they are) until you get to the end of config and it goes to the green lights and turns on…

But…if I leave the altitude as '0' it cycles through the modes (info, setup, config etc) followed by 'invalid', then 'alti' (maybe 'alti off' - I can't remember) and finally the display for inputting an altitude offset (maybe, I can't remember exactly). In a nutshell, as long as this is '0', this cycle continues. One you put something else in there it completes the initialisation process just fine.

What have I missed? It's a 2004.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Just acquired a Vigil and I'm either being thick or it's being thick!

To turn it on you mash the button and again after each flash. After the checks, if you don’t enter the setup mode, it flashes green and you get the smiley face.
If after the checks you quickly enter the setup mode, it cycles through config, setup, info (or whatever they are) until you get to the end of config and it goes to the green lights and turns on…

But…if I leave the altitude as '0' it cycles through the modes (info, setup, config etc) followed by 'invalid', then 'alti' (maybe 'alti off' - I can't remember) and finally the display for inputting an altitude offset (maybe, I can't remember exactly). In a nutshell, as long as this is '0', this cycle continues. One you put something else in there it completes the initialisation process just fine.

What have I missed? It's a 2004.

First off, if you haven't already done so, read the manual. I know that sounds like a smart ass remark but it isn't, there really is a lot of good info in the manual that you need to know. Second, from your description , it sounds like you are going into DZ offset mode and as such, you need to enter a value +/- into the unit. It will wait for you to input a value for so long, if noting is input, it will recognize this and continue to go through its start up cycle and checks to the point where you see the smiley face. I cannot stress the importance of reading your manual, understanding how the unit works and being smarter than the piece of equipment that you're using. If you don't have a manual, it can be downloaded HERE.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

understanding how the unit works and being smarter than the piece of equipment that you're using.

WoW.
That there is a smart way to think

That's why Scott IS the man
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

What does the display show after the :)
From page 17:

If there is no altitude correction, the «Pro, Student or Tandem» mode stays displayed.
If an altitude correction was entered, the mode displayed will be, «P, S or T» respectively,
followed by a «+» or «-» sign preceding the value of the implemented altitude correction
(see § 3.4.4), the value will be shown in feet (Ft) or meters (m)»
The Vigil stays on for a period of 14 hours and will then switch off automatically.
Once off, it will keep all settings in its memory.

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken