a63jmt300

AFF to "A" license... a little confusion

off topic but they REALLY need to put a jump zone near LA. Driving an hour and a half to the DZ sucks and will continue to suck once i get my license.

That’s precious. You do realize LA has more large drop zones in close proximity than most likely any other place in the world. You have an embarrassment of riches in your back yard. Most people would be thrilled to have as many choices as you do so close.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

off topic but they REALLY need to put a jump zone near LA. Driving an hour and a half to the DZ sucks and will continue to suck once i get my license.

That’s precious. You do realize LA has more large drop zones in close proximity than most likely any other place in the world. You have an embarrassment of riches in your back yard. Most people would be thrilled to have as many choices as you do so close.

And whining about an hour and a half drive? I'd kill for that these days.

I'm currently an Army Rigger at Ft. Bragg, NC. Can I use my skills to work off this ridiculous amount?

Get a civilian rigger rating. If you have the correct military credentials, getting the civilian rating is straightforward. Your only exam will be a brief one limited to FAA rules.

Riggers don't make a lot per hour, but there is always some rigging to be done. The real money is not in rigging, but in packing mains.

Search these forums for more info about how to become a rigger and packing as a revenue source. (hint: if you are a rated rigger... you don't need supervision to pack mains, otherwise you have to have rigger supervision.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I had sworn to myself that I was not going to read any more of your posts until you had made a jump. However, your posting above was so entertaining I had to thank you for the laugh.

Let's see...

== only 90 minutes to two great turbine dropzones,
== only 90 minutes to a vertical wind tunnel
== jumpable weather year-round.

I am still struggling to understand what the problem is.

I would hazard a guess that 95% of jumpers in the world lack at least one of these three things (if not ALL of them).

Bitch less, jump more.

When you compare skydiving instruction programs do not disregard the value of coached jumps after AFF. There is much to be learned after AFF!!! Coach jumps will help you learn the necessary skills more quickly. I chose my DZ mostly (but not exclusively) on the basis of the coaching program (Skydive University @ Skydive Dallas). I feel that it was money very well spent.

Tunnel time is valuable too; but some essential skills, like exits and tracking, are best taught on coached jumps.

Third, you clearly aren’t making any attempt to compare apples to apples, the program in Arizona includes repeat jumps, tunnel time, all coach jumps, at least NINE videos, lodging, etc! They aren’t charging more because it is popular they are charging more because they are quoting the entire cost of one of the world’s highest quality and most comprehensive programs.

Hmm, thats not a bad deal then.
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

I had sworn to myself that I was not going to read any more of your posts until you had made a jump. However, your posting above was so entertaining I had to thank you for the laugh.

Let's see...

I would hazard a guess that 95% of jumpers in the world lack at least one of these three things (if not ALL of them).

Bitch less, jump more.

I only bitch because I dont drive. since moving to LA 1 year ago ive only put 43 miles on my car. I ride my bike everywhere. Guess i gotta get over it but it still sucks:)
Anywho, my first jump will be this weekend at elsinore. Was going to try San Diego but elsionore looks so damn fun ;)
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

I only bitch because I dont drive. since moving to LA 1 year ago ive only put 43 miles on my car. I ride my bike everywhere. Guess i gotta get over it but it still sucks:)
Anywho, my first jump will be this weekend at elsinore. Was going to try San Diego but elsionore looks so damn fun ;)

So do you not drive because you are trying to be green by biking? If so you are in the wrong sport! Think of all the jet A the planes are burning taking you to altitude.

Do you not drive because it's cheaper? If so you are in the wrong sport! Better get used to direct depositing your paycheck at your local dz if you take up skydiving.

Do you not drive because you'd rather exercise by riding? If so you are in the wrong sport! Think of all the beer that you will consume after jumping and the ensuing beer belly.

Sorry, couldn't resist with all your previous bitching :P Anyone got anymore, lol!

So do you not drive because you are trying to be green by biking? If so you are in the wrong sport! Think of all the jet A the planes are burning taking you to altitude.

Do you not drive because it's cheaper? If so you are in the wrong sport! Better get used to direct depositing your paycheck at your local dz if you take up skydiving.

Do you not drive because you'd rather exercise by riding? If so you are in the wrong sport! Think of all the beer that you will consume after jumping and the ensuing beer belly.

Meh, I live 4 miles from everything I need. No real need for a car.

Anywho...

If what was said about AZ is true then that sounds like a great deal. 4G's for an all inclusive A license with video's, tunnel time, and re-jumps. Doubt Raeford could beat that. In the long run $4000 isnt really all that expensive compared to what you will eventually spend. Might as well get a good quality start with the AZ DZ.

Might as well get a good quality start with the AZ DZ.

Such a statement implies that one wouldn't get a good quality start at Raeford, and I don't think anyone in this post who has actually made a few skydives has indicated anything of the sort. People are just saying "make sure you're comparing the *cost* of the programs fairly."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was already briefed by Raeford skycenter, i'm just curious as to why Skydive Arizona is twice as expensive. If I train now, then I won't have a rig upon certification, but if i wait until I get to Arizona, then i'll have enough saved to buy a Mirage G4, PD Pulse 190, and Aerodyne Smart or similar reserve from PD

but if i have to fork over 3500 for training, then i'm left with an icon setup or something, dare I say....USED... seriously, would u want a Ferrari or a Hyundai. That's my perspective anyways

If you have the money for a new G4, a PD Pulse, a nice reserve and doubtless a new Cypres, alti, audible, helmet, jumpsuit etc, then is a thousand bucks really much of an issue? Jump at wherever is most convenient; in a couple of years and 1,000 jumps it will all be chump change anyway.:S

"Perspective..."
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

I was already briefed by Raeford skycenter, i'm just curious as to why Skydive Arizona is twice as expensive. If I train now, then I won't have a rig upon certification, but if i wait until I get to Arizona, then i'll have enough saved to buy a Mirage G4, PD Pulse 190, and Aerodyne Smart or similar reserve from PD

but if i have to fork over 3500 for training, then i'm left with an icon setup or something, dare I say....USED... seriously, would u want a Ferrari or a Hyundai. That's my perspective anyways

Before having your heart set on one particular rig maybe sample different canopies/containers; people have a lot of different preferences. For instance....i love my infinity, my hubby has a javelin and hates my infinity. Why the rush to worry about gear when your not licensed?
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Let's see...

Bitch less, jump more.

you are more spoiled than you possibly know living in an area with a variety of dz's to play at and experience - jumping year round - aircraft available to jump out of - wind tunnels. Where I am from we have one dz in the area - 45 minute drive; all others are a minimum of 4 hours a way, we are only open on weekends and only 6 months out of the year. Enjoy Elsinore....we love it down there and come down a couple of times a year --- next visit will be in June.;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

And whining about an hour and a half drive? I'd kill for that these days.

I drive 2.5 hours to get to my DZ. Consider yourself lucky...
- Knic

then i'll have enough saved to buy a Mirage G4, PD Pulse 190, and Aerodyne Smart or similar reserve from PD

Get jumping first, it's hard to formulate a proper attitude about gear until you understand it.

I nearly ordered a full blown custom rig at the start of AFF.

Ended up getting a used rig @ 20 jumps and haven't looked back, happy to spend the next 200 jumps on the canopy... container/reserve/cypres2 (07 model) will last me for the next 5 years. Just because it's used, doesn't mean it isn't quality (pics attached).

I guess my point is, definitely do not sacrifice any of your training just for custom gear straight up.

then i'll have enough saved to buy a Mirage G4, PD Pulse 190, and Aerodyne Smart or similar reserve from PD

Get jumping first, it's hard to formulate a proper attitude about gear until you understand it.

I nearly ordered a full blown custom rig at the start of AFF.

Ended up getting a used rig @ 20 jumps and haven't looked back, happy to spend the next 200 jumps on the canopy... container/reserve/cypres2 (07 model) will last me for the next 5 years. Just because it's used, doesn't mean it isn't quality (pics attached).

I guess my point is, definitely do not sacrifice any of your training just for custom gear straight up.

Nice looking rig you got there:)

AFF program- around $1600
Jumps to get A license after AFF, 18 jumps minimum at around $50 each, $900.
Do another 20 jumps to figure out what sort of gear you like: $1000
Used set of gear- Around $2000-$2500 on the cheap.

So you are looking at about $5000 at this point. Why would you want to spent the extra cash on new gear when you could spend it on jump tickets?? You mentioned that you are military, there are a couple manufacturers that offer discounts, most notably wings, at 50% off the base cost (sweet!) and I believe mirage offers 35%, there may be others. Even if you go this route, buy used parachutes. A new AAD may save you some money in the long run though. Good luck!

Edit to add: Beer $430

I just got my A-license this weekend at Skydive San Diego and started about 6 weeks ago, here's a break down of what I paid:

AFF 1-7: 1200
6 Coach Jumps: 396
1 hop&pop (coached): 66
Check Dive: 99
10 Solos: 240
10 Gear Rentals: 240 (give or take)

That brings my total to about USD $2241.

I only needed 3 coached jumps, but I wanted the extra training. It was well worth it, my Check Dive was a breeze.