a63jmt300

AFF to "A" license... a little confusion

Okay, here goes:

Like anyone considering skydiving, i want my A license and want it now, but I have two schools to choose from.

1. Raeford parachute Center Raeford, NC
2. Skydive Arizona Eloy, AZ

If I don't get certified before this summer, then my hand will be forced to pay a ridiculous amount of $3500 when I move out to Arizona.

My question remains, why can Raeford certify and train with 25 jumps through the entire AFF process for $1800 when Skydive Arizona is double that amount?

I'm currently an Army Rigger at Ft. Bragg, NC. Can I use my skills to work off this ridiculous amount? $3500 takes away from my savings for a rig to call my own.....seriously $3500??? naturally, I will be calling Raeford soon...

Is this PRICE GOUGING or really, really good training?

Like anyone considering skydiving, i want my A license and want it now

You wouldn't happen to be an impatient gentleman, would you? :)

naturally, I will be calling Raeford soon...

It would seem you have already made up your mind as to where you're going to train. Therefore you have no delimma. ;)
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

shoot, I wish I could get my A for 3500. The dropzone I have to choose from are charging 4000.
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Yep. Be sure to ask about coach jumps beyond AFF, gear rental, tunnel time, packing classes, USPA membership/license fee, repeating jumps, etc. Some DZs include those items, some don't. (Note that the tunnel time is not a part of the A license requirements, but since both DZs have wind tunnels nearby they may have packaged tunnel time as part of their training... or not). Other things like lodging or video might be included or not, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was already briefed by Raeford skycenter, i'm just curious as to why Skydive Arizona is twice as expensive. If I train now, then I won't have a rig upon certification, but if i wait until I get to Arizona, then i'll have enough saved to buy a Mirage G4, PD Pulse 190, and Aerodyne Smart or similar reserve from PD

but if i have to fork over 3500 for training, then i'm left with an icon setup or something, dare I say....USED... seriously, would u want a Ferrari or a Hyundai. That's my perspective anyways

I was already briefed by Raeford skycenter, i'm just curious as to why Skydive Arizona is twice as expensive. If I train now, then I won't have a rig upon certification, but if i wait until I get to Arizona, then i'll have enough saved to buy a Mirage G4, PD Pulse 190, and Aerodyne Smart or similar reserve from PD

but if i have to fork over 3500 for training, then i'm left with an icon setup or something, dare I say....USED... seriously, would u want a Ferrari or a Hyundai. That's my perspective anyways

This seems like a no brainer. Get your A at Raeford. Its Win/win
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

Sounds like deja vu.

Call both and compare ALL costs as NWFlyer suggested. It will get you the information you need instead of asking on a website that doesn't know the information you keep asking for.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

shoot, I wish I could get my A for 3500. The dropzone I have to choose from are charging 4000.

If you pay for the entire package up front at Elsinore the cost is $2999. This includes everything, including your first year USPA fee & your A license fee. Plus you get 2 free videos that you can use whenever. (I just used my 2nd one on my 200th jump) Also you can substitute Level 4 for a coached tunnel session for around $50 extra. I realize they offer more expensive packages but they are a waste of money if you do the math.

Or just suck it up and make the drive to Lodi, you have to do a tandem first for a $100, then AFF is only $1000 (assuming no repeats) then another $700 or $800 to finish (that is a guesstimate), you have to pay for gas and somewhere to stay, or just stay in the bunkhouse or a tent. Keep in mind Lodi does not use radios under canopy but its not rocket science just a little scary.

Unless they are having real issues completing the levels I dont know anyone who paid $4k to get their A.

Edit: They dont mention the free vids on the website but trust me you will get them
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

If you pay for the entire package up front at Elsinore the cost is $2999. This includes everything, including your first year USPA fee & your A license fee. Plus you get 2 free videos that you can use whenever. (I just used my 2nd one on my 200th jump) Plus you can substitute Level 4 for a coached tunnel session for around $50 extra. I realize they offer more expensive packages but they are a waste of money if you do the math.

Or just suck it up and make the drive to Lodi, you have to do a tandem first for a $100, then AFF is only $1000 (assuming no repeats) then another $700 or $800 to finish (that is a guesstimate), you have to pay for gas and somewhere to stay, or just stay in the bunkhouse or a tent. Keep in mind Lodi does not use radios under canopy but its not rocket science just a little scary.

Unless they are having real issues completing the levels I dont know anyone who paid $4k to get their A.

hmm, could have sworn it was 4000. BRB, gonna go check again.

sweet its 2999. not sure what i was looking at....

...still 2999 is quite a bit more that 1800 at raeford.

go get your A at Raeford dude.

That's what i'm saying, 4K for a license? No wonder this sport isn't as big as it could be... the price for admission is massive for this sprot. My parents live in Elk Grove, CA so its only about 15-20 minute drive to LODI. I'll still look around, damn skycenter in Eloy wants to charge a buttload just because its popular. how shameful... it must be to support their own air force!

Where's elisnore?

1 hour south of LA

1 hour north of San Diego

its right across the road from Skydive Perris (More expensive)

I think you should definitely go to Lodi to get your AFF training. Just make sure to tell Bill you can only jump on the weekend and you think his prices are to high.

Please let me know when you are there. I really want to watch.:)

Jump an Infinity

sweet its 2999. not sure what i was looking at....

...still 2999 is quite a bit more that 1800 at raeford.

go get your A at Raeford dude.

House are cheaper there too, but Im not gonna buy one just cuz of that..

You really need to look at the big picture imo, heres an example: Last nite they did night jumps at Elsinore. There were 20 paying jumpers (plus the pilot, 2 spectators and the jumpmaster) at a fee of $27 ea. A total of $540 for the fuel, pilots time, the girl working manifest (checked us in as we came in from landing) the 3 instructors who worked till 9:30pm. There is no way the DZ made any sort of profit, most likely it cost them money. But they do night jumps 4 or 5 times a year. I know for a fact my DZO is not making a ton of cash off the DZ, if he was I think he would hire another pilot so he would not have to fly so much (and yes he flew us last night)

Its my understanding that most DZ use students and tandems to keep the DZ running, and most up jumpers are just paying for their gas money to ride to altitude, some DZ costs more than others to run so they have to charge more for everything..its not a coincidence that all 3 major DZ in so cal charge basically the same for training, tandems and jumps. (technically SD is the cheapest, then Elsinore, followed by Perris)

All of your cash will be going to skydiving soon either way, I picked elsinore cuz I live in the same city and knew its where I would be jumping, I knew it was cheaper elsewhere but its worked ok for me
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

off topic but they REALLY need to put a jump zone near LA. Driving an hour and a half to the DZ sucks and will continue to suck once i get my license.

There's nothing wrong with an icon or a used rig. How would you even know yet? But if Raeford will do it for half the price, sure, go for it.

seriously, would u want a Ferrari or a Hyundai. That's my perspective anyways

Hmm... if I got the coice between a brand, spanking new hyunday or a second-hand ferrari at the same price, I'd definitely go for the Ferrari.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I really want to watch.:)

And get video......;)

Sorry Ed, no video. I don't want to have to read through another thread of him asking if the price for it was too high or if he could have got a better deal elsewhere.:|:D

Jump an Infinity

Clearly the problem here is your lack of understanding not the “shameful” behavior of any drop zone. And frankly, I’m being kind here out of respect for your being in the service.

First, AFF is roughly half the cost of getting an “A” license. Skydiving training is broken out into two large sections, AFF and Coaching. Plus there are other activities you will be required to perform not in these two major groups. Make sure when you price shop you understand EVERYTHING you need to get a license.

Second, Unless Raeford is giving a large military discount then your number for its costs are WAY off. I counted up over $1,650 just for AFF and there will be coaching, gear rental, etc IN ADDITION, thus bringing the total cost way up.

Third, you clearly aren’t making any attempt to compare apples to apples, the program in Arizona includes repeat jumps, tunnel time, all coach jumps, at least NINE videos, lodging, etc! They aren’t charging more because it is popular they are charging more because they are quoting the entire cost of one of the world’s highest quality and most comprehensive programs.

Do yourself a favor and call each DZ and talk to them about exactly what you are getting and what you need to complete an A license.

And as a side note skydiving is NOT CHEAP, get used to the idea now or you’re going to be in for a lot of disappointment and debt.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP