draygoneslayr

How Does One Afford A Rig

Just a view from the opposite side of someone who bought (and is still in the process of paying for) a new rig.

I wanted to get used gear at first and took everyone's advice, but also you have to look at yourself and what you want.

Everyone says "you'll only use it for the first 200 or so jumps...etc" and that may be true, but just because everyone else did it that way, doesn't mean you have to do so.

I chose to buy new gear because I'm huge and couldn't find used gear to fit me and I looked for at least a good year and half or two....and didn't find anything I liked.

However I like the idea of my gear fitting me and me wanting to use it for a long time. I also didn't just go out and jump on the most popular rig choice. I talked to 3 or 4 of my friends who are riggers and had them help me with my decision.

I have a new Pilot canopy and will have my new Wings container soon. They are letting me make payments because of financial troubles i was having a being a new grad w/ loans and crap to pay off, which is awesome of them....

Nothing wrong with used gear at all, but getting new gear isn't the devil either....ultimately its up to you...IMO, the choice b/w used or new won't make or break your skydiving...a bad choice in size or something along those lines might though...

Just make sure you do EXTENSIVE research whichever route you go....if I biff my landing and my rig gets scuffed...so what....its part of the sport. It's gonna happen sooner or later....

And for anyone who wants to flame me for saying buying new gear isn't that bad....I am 6'5, 250 lbs (not exit weight)
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Whoa, dude, calm down. First of all, I never said that you had anything given to you for free. The point that I was trying to get across was that people who can't afford new gear, that work hard to afford their used Dolphin.. those people appreciate their rigs because they finally have a rig to call their own. Do you know how many people get out of this sport because they can't even afford a USED rig? Nevermind two brand new rigs? Happens all the time...

And I agree - why have two rigs when you barely stay current.

Oh, and by the way, I used to own two rigs, both used, and realized that owning a second rig, even though I jump quite often, was more of a luxury than a necessity.

Most 2nd and third jobs are part time, which means they will most liklely be at night. Dont think you will miss to many night jumps in a year.

My profile is not as it seems.
First tandem in'99
Started aff in 2001 Quit in 01 due to money
Started back in 2005
Didnt even gety my A license till 2005
my jump #'s isnt right.
This year i have already done over 300 jumps.
The only reason i own two rigs is because I Mostly only jump on fridays Due to owning my own company and spending time with my wife and kids on weekends.
I do alot of back to back loads so i can get on as many loads as possiable. :D

The point that I was trying to get across was that people who can't afford new gear, that work hard to afford their used Dolphin.. those people appreciate their rigs because they finally have a rig to call their own.
----------------------------------------------------------
That is the same point i was talking about. You are saying people who buy used gear work hard for it. As if people who buy new dont work hard for it. These were my first rigs and i got them about a year apart. I worked hard for them and appreciate both of them.

Good. Part of my point is still being missed, most likely due to my lack of being able to word it better. Some people take the fact that they have two brand new rigs for granted, when some people who have a sincere passion for our sport can't even afford a used rig. That's all.

Some do take it for granted. But not all. I am the oposite of most skydivers. I have the money but limmited time due to me wanting to spend time with my wife and kids, and running my company. As a matter of fact i let some good friends and good skydivers jump one of my rigs if they need to to make a load.

What makes you think he was being a smart ass. I think his plan is a good one. It's what I do.

Well..because he said this:

Good, Good. The other thing is not to own the same gear more than two seasons (replacing it once a year is best).

Nuf said?

Nothing wrong with buying from a dealer...there's a lot of advantage in that. But also talk to people at your dropzone. Dealers can be very helpful, but they tend to get a cut of the sale too. Buying direct from someone with a rig in their closet that isn't being used is probably where you'll find the best deals.

There's nothing wrong with a dealer taking a cut, they've done the legwork to make sure the gear is safe. At your dropzone you have an excellent & highly reputable dealer, who helped broker the private sale of my own rig a few years back. She cares enormously about things like your safety and satisfaction.

One word of advice to newbies is to beware of some of the "great deals" you may get from private owner/sellers. I know I'll take some crap for this, but there are some jumpers who are only too happy to unload a beater of a rig on some gullible newbie. I'm not saying that all old gear is bad either, just some of it. Don't buy ANYTHING without a rigger's inspection, where you're paying the rigger for an impartial inspection. Ask the rigger what kind of work he thinks the rig will need and what that will cost, because a lot of the old stuff needs at least some work.

And finally don't let yourself get pressured into buying anything. I know as a newbie you want a rig so bad you can almost taste it. And you're almost seeing double from sticker shock - this stuff ain't cheap, it never has been and never will be (I remember being appalled at the $365 price tag on a new Paracommander when I was a newbie).

But you should be able to get a good SAFE used rig, with an AAD for $3 grand or less. You just need a little patience is all - and wintertime is an excellent time to hunt for deals, as so many jumpers are selling their old rigs to buy something newer and slicker for next season.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Off topic I know, but,

...sabre 135...jump 22...dont have an AAD...stiletto 120 ...

Did anyone else read this and not have a problem with it? 72 jumps and he's jumped a Sabre 135 then downsized to a Stiletto 120 @ 1.3, all the while with no AAD.

Wow, I hope you are very lucky and don't get hurt. A better idea would be to upsize, but that's not my choice.

But you should be able to get a good SAFE used rig, with an AAD for $3 grand or less. You just need a little patience is all - and wintertime is an excellent time to hunt for deals, as so many jumpers are selling their old rigs to buy something newer and slicker for next season.

I agree with this statement. Winter is definitely a good time to look. I was able to piece together a rig for only $2300, but it took a lot of time, looking and patients. I was on dropzone checking every newly posted used gear listing for the past 3 months. I was able to slowly pick up parts of my rig as good deals came along. The only new component was the reserve. One main thing to consider is not being picky about colors or looks. I ended up with a jump suit that is rather elton john, but for only 80 dollars I didn't care how it looked. As for how I pieced a rig together for 2300 there are some other things that you might have to give on. I purchased a cypress with only 2 seasons left on it. My main is good and reliable but not a popular model so it was cheaper etc...

Also the gear purchased was not ancient. DOM's - Canopy 2002/280 jumps, container infinity 2000/400 jumps, and reserve brand new.

I can't tell you the number of times I saw newbies buy brand new state of the art gear only to see it for sale the next season.

I'd hope you stay in the sport for a long time but the reality is that few really do. Things change, and 3 years from now you might not be jumping.

Buy what you can afford. Have a rigger check it thoroughly before you hand over the cash. Then jump it and have fun. Don't be too concerned about what it looks like. I've seen lots of people who looked like world champion flyers....until they got out the door ;)

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne