MSEsmitha

Fair Price?

nah, too high - 2500 seems about right. Did I mention I will buy it from you too? :P;) I can pay right now :P

I'd guess around 5000 -5500... but it's a wild guess

what help is a WILD guess ? It's like the dude who says "I don't know how, but it must be possible". Thanks..

Doubt he'll find somebody willing to buy it for $5500 or $5000. This is just like a used car. ESPECIALLY with all the options. You never recover even close to what you bought it for.

True, but it's fairly new, with very few jumps.
If it looks good too, it could be sold for 5k.

edit: brand new V3 with all options ~3k. Let's say this one $2k, Cypres valuator shows $950 for Cypres 1, $970 for Cypres2, Sabre2 190 is very popular and I know at least 5 people who want one - 200 jumps I see listing for 1350+, new reserve is 1100, so let's say 800 easy for 06 one.
Total: around 5,100.

Seems fair to me, but since I'm only an occasional gear looker, not a dealer, thats' why I said I'm not an expert :S

your math is good, EXCEPT for the container. Container is the INTEGRAL part of your "getup". It's what people see the most. It's also the only thing that can or cannot FIT you. So when you are spending $3K on one (CRAZY if you ask me) - you want it PERFECT - both in the colors and in the fit. So I doubt many people are willing to pay even $2K for a used container. and 200 jumps should show, even a little bit.

cya

Very fair suggestion. I was hesitant to value it at $2k, but looking at what's being sold in classifieds, and seeing what people I know can spend, it doesn't sound that ridiculous. Especially if it fits the person well.

This one, for example, is a Mirage M4, from 05 (but with only 5 jumps) that was sold for 4,200. Without a Cypres and with RMax reserve.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=53186;d=1

I guess it always comes down to timing and what "the market" is willing to pay. :)How much would you sell this Vector for?

*edited for bad spelling and missing words

:)

you make good points. But who says that that rig was sold for $4200 - that was just the asking price. I bet the seller got less then that for it.

At the end - people will pay what makes them comfortable and I am not advocating spending less or more - just answering a question. Most of the time however, when I sell gear people end up making offers and gear goes for less.

as far as how much *I* would sell that Vector3 for ..... I'd have to see the container, the colors and the harness. My guess is that it would be very tough to get over $1400 for it.

Hmmm. This thread is interesting so far.

When I take consignment gear into my store, I consider a few factors. Original cost of the equipment. Fair market value of the same equipment, perceived value and of course good old supply and demand.

I would likely be able to turn this system for $4750. Is it worth more? Yes. Will it sell for more? Maybe.

I have found that most folks shopping for used gear are willing to spend between $3500 and $4500 for good modern sport equipment. Once it starts getting higher than that, they prefer a custom built container and possibly a combination of new and used components.

This is just my humble opinion.... worth what you paid for it. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

What is a fair price for a
-Vector 3 with all the bells and whistles and skyhook, ~200 jumps, DOM 2006
-with a Sabre2 190 (200 jumps)
-a cypress DOM 2006, and
-a PD Reserve 176 with 1 ride?

New it cost ~$7000. It was all very well maintained.

I just got 3500 for a 2002 no aad sabre 2 135 pdr126 0 jumps. Took awhile tho.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Thanks for all of your replies.

The rig looks brand new, always packed inside, little/no wear and is tastefully collored (black with red, blue, and yellow piping on the main and reserve tuck tabs). It has a sky-hook and magnetic riser covers as well as extra back, leg,and shoulder pads.

It's not my rig but one I plan on buying. I know the guy selling it well and the riggers that maintain it and it really is almost new. I tried it on and it fits perfectly!

I was thinking of offering him about $5000 and settling

at $5500.

Think I can get it for less?

Thanks for all of your replies.

The rig looks brand new, always packed inside, little/no wear and is tastefully collored (black with red, blue, and yellow piping on the main and reserve tuck tabs). It has a sky-hook and magnetic riser covers as well as extra back, leg,and shoulder pads.

It's not my rig but one I plan on buying. I know the guy selling it well and the riggers that maintain it and it really is almost new. I tried it on and it fits perfectly!

I was thinking of offering him about $5000 and settling

at $5500.

Think I can get it for less?

Remember one thing :

GOOD DEAL IS A STATE OF MIND.

If you are happy with paying $5500 - then it's a good deal. But in my mind that's on the high side.

I just sold a full custom made kit similar to what you are talking about for that price and the customer got all the bells and whistles. Unless it had a cypres 2 in it i would suggest not to pay anything like that price for it.

Take Gravitygirls advice, and i think she would sell it a bit too high than it is worth.... not sure if it had cypres 2 in it or not. If it has cypres 2 then somewhere around 4500-5000 is all you should pay MAX

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Vector 3's can be alot more expensive with skyhook, magnetic riser covers, their backpad than a mirage g-3.

Also something that really puts the value of a Vector 3 up at the moment is the 20+ week wait for them to be made.

I dont think you can compare any second hand rig sale to a United Parachutes rig. They are expensive rigs and the demand for them is so massive that people need to be prepared to wait 5-6 months for them to be made. Surely this wait pushes the value up on the product over other rigs that have a wait time of 2-3 months.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

No, that is not what i am saying.

For starters UTP is not slow SERVICE at all.... They have fantastic customer service, in fact i rate them in my top three with manufacturers that I deal with.

Their service is just a long wait because of the massive demand in product. I can assure you they are working their asses off.

What i was saying by my comment is that a SECOND HAND UTP rig is made more valuable because of the huge demand in the product that means the wait time is too long for many people that if they are hell bent on getting a UTP rig that they would be prepared to pay the higher asking price for one of their second hand rigs because they do not have the patience nor do they have the time to wait the period that it takes to have a custom amde rig.... This means that it gives the owner of the UTP rig the chance to make maximum value in the sale of their rig and does not have to worry so much about having to continue to lower the asking price to make the sale as the deman is high.

Maybe the wait time has changed to 4 months but i was not aware they were accepting a rush service.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I wasn't doubting that they were working hard or that they make a great product (they do) or that there's anything wrong with the wait time (there isn't).

I just don't think a long wait time on a new container makes a used container inherently more valuable. People generally don't buy used because they don't want to wait on new... they buy used because they are new jumpers, don't know what they want yet, just looking for a backup rig, need to save a few bucks, etc.

People buy new because they want their colors, a container built to fit them, the bells/whistles of their choice, etc.

These are two different demographics of buyers, so the wait time on a new rig is irrelavant to the used gear buyer (generally speaking, I'm sure there are exceptions).

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Well... the wait time might be enough to get a new jumper that otherwise would have bought brand new gear to buy a good quality used rig at a high price. Like settling for an off the shelf rig instead of a custom made rig to avoid the wait time. Probably wouldn't affect older used rigs, only really new used rigs that can compete with brand new ones...

Dave

I sell rigs everyday as a living. Just pointing that out so i can tell you where my experience with the subject comes from.

Right now i have around 8 customers who i am dealing with who have come to me in the past week wanting brand new gear. 6 of these customers do not want to wait, and the wait time on their product is not that long so they have asked for stock... unfortunatly the sizes they want are not sizes that are kept in stock, so theses 6 people are now wanting me to go through my contacts in finding them second hand gear.

Maybe it is different with myself, I dont have any overheads so i sell cutom made and stock gear at prices that are not far off from second hand prices, so maybe my opinion comes from customers who are already in the second hand market. Either way though that is my experience in selling gear and am currently one of the top distributors for a very large manufacturer. Surely you have to consider my opinion to be somewhat educated?

I agree with you though, a long wait should not mean the value goes up, However I am sure maybe amongst your friends it does not but from my customers that come from all around the world it seems to.

If you think about it, what about the customers i have in the EU that have to pay an extra 20% on top of the sale price of NEW gear when they import it to their country? Sometimes it makes perfectly good sense to buy second hand gear that is asking the higher price (value price) because this way they save paying an extra 20% just because it is second hand and not brand new.

Either way, if you disagree with me then that is cool, I just wanted to share my experience that i have learnt from sitting here answering emails and selling gear from a worldwide market. Maybe i understand it wrong,

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Exactly... I am not saying it makes them worth more than their value, what i am saying is it gives them a much greater chance of getting the true value of a rig instead of having to sell it cheap to compete with all the other gear sales.

For example, A canopy in the UK de-values at 1gbp per jump. so 200 jumps would make it worth around 900-1100 gbp in the uk.
However usually they would only be able to sell it for 750gbp.
If the canopy has a 20 week wait then the seller of the second hand canopy would have a much greater chance at selling it for the REAL value it is worth.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Exactly... I am not saying it makes them worth more than their value, what i am saying is it gives them a much greater chance of getting the true value of a rig instead of having to sell it cheap to compete with all the other gear sales.

For example, A canopy in the UK de-values at 1gbp per jump. so 200 jumps would make it worth around 900-1100 gbp in the uk.
However usually they would only be able to sell it for 750gbp.
If the canopy has a 20 week wait then the seller of the second hand canopy would have a much greater chance at selling it for the REAL value it is worth.

I have always looked at used gear as a tough market for value given fit and color issues. Also on the depreciation a good rule of thumb is going to be a depriciation for "driving it off the lot" of 10% with another $1 or so per jump. $1500 (USD) canopy new purchase at 200 jumps by my calculation would be about $1100 to $1200 giving some leeway to the formula.

Looking at a List price for a Sabre2 150 of $2010 you can likely find a street price of 20% off or $1608 give or take a few. Go with a 10% depreciation your down to $1447.20 before jumps. Say 130 jumps at $1/jump you now down to $1317.20. As it happens there is a Sabre2 150 with a 2007 DOM in the classfieds now saying 130 jumps at $1350 OBO so I dont think my calculation estimates are too far off...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I have sold my share of used gear, and it's very simple - if you have the right colors and fit - you are more likely to sell it for more. a 95 Triathlon with rainbow colors and low jumps just doesn't get the same value as a 500 jump blue Spectre of the same vintage.

Like Gary pointed out - if there's a shortage on the market - the used gear will go up. a Sabre2 is a very demandable canopy, and nobody wants to pay the $2K retail tag on it - and since there isn't that many on the market used - the ones that do get sold 2nd hand, go for more then say Stilettos that there's a holy crapload of.

Simple logic, really :) Economics 1010 :)