christoofar

Beware of the 809 Area Code

I make a lot of calls to Mexico, New Zealand and the UK... figured I would pass on a piece of advice.

Read here

Beware, if you receive a message on your answering machine or pager that asks you to return a call to a number with an 809 area code. The reasons to call may vary: you might be told a family member’s in the hospital or you have to call to claim a prize you’ve already won.

Regardless of the reason, though, you’re asked to call a number in the 809 area code right away. With so many new area codes, it’s hard to keep track, so many consumers unknowingly dial the number, believing they’re calling a number within the U.S.

In fact, the 809 area code is in the Dominican Republic, where the area code is allowed to be used for pay-per-call services. Pay-per-call services in the U.S. are required to provide a brief grace period during the beginning of a call, before a caller can be charged. Since such operators in the Dominican Republic are not subject to U.S. regulations, there are no such safeguards. The charges for these calls can be several dollars a minute or more.

Reports of this scam claim consumers have been charged tens of thousands of dollars for such calls. These amounts may be greatly exaggerated, but it pays to pay attention to the area codes you’re calling.

And if you have a legitimate reason for calling the Dominican Republic, make sure you’re familiar with the number you’re calling.

Also be aware that other area codes that appear as if they’re within the U.S., may actually be assigned offshore in countries where U.S. laws do not apply. Be vigilant to phrases like "international calling rates may apply." Your best defense is knowing where you’re calling before you dial.

LOL... I'm thinking of a gothic horror flick, where a building full of telemarketers are strangled to death by their curly telephone cords which come alive after they rip off an elderly person.

But because it's a telemarketing company, no one really cares about the people who work there and no one finds the dead stinky decomposing bodies for years; their families are ignorant to the fact that they are no longer around and don't get bothered at dinner anymore.

:D

Since AA is'nt online I took the liberty of honoring him/her/it by typing this essay on the dangers of long distance numbers.

The 900 Scam:

Beware, if you receive a message on your answering machine, email or pager that asks you to return a call to a number with an 900 area code. The reasons to call may vary: you might be told that a really hot woman wants to talk to you, or a really hot woman wants to talk to you for longer this time with some of her scantly clad friends.

Regardless of the reason, though, you’re asked to call a number in the 900 area code right away. With so many new area codes, it’s hard to keep track, so many consumers unknowingly dial the number, believing they’re calling a number within the U.S.

In fact, the 900 area code is most likely in Nevada, where the call recipient is allowed to be used for pay-per-call services. Pay-per-call and pay-per-visit services, in the these phone answers are required to provide a brief grace period during the beginning of a call/visit, before a caller can be charged. Since such operators in Nevada are not subject to normal U.S. regulations, there are no such safeguards. The charges for these some times short calls/visits can be several dollars a minute or more.

Reports of this scam claim consumers have been charged tens of thousands of dollars for such calls and visits. These amounts may be greatly exaggerated with most men, but it pays to pay attention to the area codes you’re calling.

And if you have a legitimate reason for calling Nevada, make sure you’re familiar with the hooker, oops I mean number you’re calling.

Also be aware that other area codes that appear as if they’re within the U.S., may actually be assigned in countries where U.S. laws reguarding stalking and phone sex do not apply. Be vigilant to phrases like "US laws may not apply.", and "maximum call of 15 minutes" Your best defense is knowing who you’re calling, and what her fees are before you dial. Also remember that even the hottest voice can be on a not so attractive woman.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com