JackieBlue

Cookie Vs. Bonehead

Hello I am looking to buy my first skydiving helmet. The 2 companies I am looking to buy from are Bonehead and Cookie Ceramics. Bonehead has a lot of styles to choose from, but while I have read some negative things about bonehead I have read nothing negative about Cookie helmets and I do like the way the Cookie M1 looks. On top of not hearing anything bad about Cookie I hear great things about them, especially in regards to customer service. If you guys have any information to help me make up my mind I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you know of another company that you have dealt with which you greatly recommend I would like to know also. Thanks for your help.

i'm assuming you meant cookie composites, not cookie ceramics. i don't think a ceramic helmet would be very light, comfortable or durable. :P i have a bonehead mamba and haven't had any problems with it since i covered the face shield mounting bolt with tape to protect my dytter. i don't know who you've been talking to, but i haven't heard anyone bad-mouthing bonehead.

it might help if we knew what sort of helmet you were looking for, open face, full face or camera....

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I have three Bonehead helmets, 1 Cookie, they're all good helmets. Dunno who is bad-mouthing Bonehead anywhere, but Chris and Linda offer some of the best customer service I've ever seen. They have the most advanced manufacturing (AFAIK) in the skydiving helmet world.
My other positive experiences regarding helmets and skydiving are with Skysystems. I'm very impressed with the folks there, and they respond to emails very quickly, but I'd also say any negative commentary about Bonehead is BS. My first experience to my most recent (a new FTP) have all been great. I've also toured their factory.
On the other hand, a first post with no profile...

I love my bone head illusion I think the build quality is great. I love the fit, I love my custom paint job.

My only gripe is the velco they use; it sucks, and it has sucked on their other helmets that I own. They need to get a better type of adhesive backed velcro, or they need to apply it better.

I was not thrilled with several of their camera boxes that I have seen.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I agree, the Velcro on my FTP isn't backed on so well either, but I used some tacky glue and it's on good. FWIW, I also end up removing my liner fairly often, because i'm often taking my protrack out and putting it in my fun-jump helmet.

Camera box...I don't like the Bonehead HC3 box either, so I bought a couple from Cookie. The lacquer fell apart in a couple jumps, so I ended up gaffing all the edges after painting them with more laquer. Haven't seen an HC3 box I've liked yet, other than a couple home-built jobs.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either Cookie or Bonehead. I have a Bonehead Mindwarp. The build quality and comfort is excellent. I personally haven't worn a Cookie in the air, but I've seen a lot of them, tried one on once or twice and never heard anything but good words about them.

I personally like the Cookie camera boxes better than the bonehead boxes, but I believe that you can probably fit a cookie box onto a BH helmet if you really want.

Another helmet that you might consider is a Rawa. I've ordered one to use as a camera helmet, but haven't received it yet. You'll probably get faster turnaround on ordering a Cookie or BH helmet. I selected the Rawa over the Cookie I was also considering based on solid reputation for quality and comfort and lower prices than an equivalent Cookie setup - and I'm not in a rush. Keep in mind, however, that this is second-hand information based on talking to other people and not first hand experience of my own.

I have a big melon and the Cookie I tried was bit tight. I found that the BH helmets fit better. I currently own a PimpDaddy, Mamba and have a FTP on the way. I do like the design of Cookie's boxes much better though.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have a cookie rok and my dad has a BH Pimpdaddy. In my opinion they are about the same quality level. The cookie was a bit more expensive, but I thought it looked cooler (thats what's important right ;)) and I also like the ear vents. You won't go wrong with either one though, just choose which company you feel looks nicer or better yet try them on and see which fits better.

I have both a cookie (MXV with BB-PC1000 and top mount) and a bonehead mamba. The cookie has about 100 jumps on it now, and perhaps 50 hours in the tunnel, whilst the mamba has >1000 hours in the tunnel. Both appear to have excellent durability, but are built for different purposes (one's a full face for starters...)

If it's an open face you're looking for, I would highly recommend the cookie. The customer service is second to none - just pick up the phone and find out. The build quality is excellent, and the products always look fantastic.

Say no more.

I have a big melon and the Cookie I tried was bit tight. I found that the BH helmets fit better. I currently own a PimpDaddy, Mamba and have a FTP on the way. I do like the design of Cookie's boxes much better though.

agreed, when i was buying my first helmet i tried both the pimpdaddy and the M1, i have more of a narrow head and the M1 fit better. From what i have heard from a few people, and now you, is that the BH fits a larger head. In saying that both are great helmets as you have already heard....the big thing is how its is going to fit on your melon.
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I bought a Cookie Rok helmet.

Be careful of the helmet sizing with Cookie though. I have an average sized head, probably on the smaller side. When I went down to the factory (live locally), they suggested the small... nearly crushed my skull, then they thought the medium, ridiculously tight... tried on the large, very snug still but extremely comfortable, it's moulding in nicely.

I don't know what kind of mutant small head people are buying Cookie helmets :)

Great helmets, Cookie and his team are top notch blokes.

Cookie's quality is flawless. Have the mxv camera set up with the flat lock and the box for my video cam. The only thing that i hate about the helmet is the way the cutaway system is configured. One side is a ringed setup and because of that the helmet will flex on that side only and move around a bit. It makes it tough to get the same consistent site picture. The ring setup/position is adjustable, but I've never been able to get it right. On one side of the chin strap it's solid and consistent and the other side where the cutaway setup is placed is all loose and wiggly. Still tight on my head, but it's very easy to get different site pictures with the way the cutaway system is set up.