taylor.freefall

Classified ads

either up the price

Never had that happen. That would be a red flag for me ... scam.

say its already sold

This is probably just a timing thing - I know that when I sell things on here on elsewhere (craigslist, for example, for furniture and stuff), the first person to actually make the arrangements for the sale gets the item. I may be emailing with you and a couple other people and while you're asking me questions, they're finalizing the sale. Fair's fair.

ask for payment without a rigger inspecting it

If you're buying an altimeter, I would probably balk at this request. But for any other gear, I agree. If they won't work with you to work through a trusted intermediary, with the money in escrow (either formally or informally) move on. But remember, they don't know you from Adam, probably, so most sellers will probably want some sort of assurance that they're not sending their gear off to some random person and that they'll never see it again.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why do people advertise things in the classified section then when they get the sale they either up the price, say its already sold or ask for payment without a rigger inspecting it. Three times this has happened now and I'm pissed. What happened to morals? >:(

some people just don't know to mark items as SOLD, or plain delete them. Keep in mind that sometimes you are buying from a rigger themselves and they are confident in what they are selling you. Of course when somebody asked me to send them a Cypres for inspection.... that was too much - simply put some people think that's the only way to handle a transaction - and they are overly paranoid - sometimes for the right reason, sometimes not. If you get the seller on the phone and they sound coherent and make sense - perhaps it's worth it, if the deal is good enough - plus most sellers I have dealt with have always told me that they will gladly take the gear back if it was not as described - but EVREYTHING has always been 100% as stated...

Bottom line - if unsure - and the seller seems honest but doesn't want to use a rigger - use paypal or COD.

cya

Why do people advertise things in the classified section then when they get the sale they either up the price, say its already sold or ask for payment without a rigger inspecting it. Three times this has happened now and I'm pissed. What happened to morals? >:(

I'd be happy to get a response at all. I never even hear back from about 75% of the people that I contact.

As far as wanting payment before an inspection? That's just the terms of the deal. If you don't like it, walk away. It's nothing worth being upset about.

I have never let anyone inspect the gear before taking payment, mainly cause they are in a different country. However, what i do is guarantee it exactly as descibed or money back and i give them references such as Aerodyne and other customers that have bought brand new gear and second hand gear from me. Not once havs their been an issue.

However if people are buying from other in the same country i think letting a rigger inspect it is fine but i also think it should be fine if the rigger of the sellers dropzone inspects it instead of having to ship it to someone elses rigger. If the seller had to ship it to a few different peoples riggers who are interested then it gets really expensive and they lose alot of money.

If someone does not like the deal, then it is too bad for them, you dont get to inspect anything on ebay before you buy it... actually i dont think you get to inspect anything you buy on the internet before you receive it.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

All the above I agree with, the thing that really got to me yesterday was I saw a rig for sale (and I literally check every few minutes not to miss anything) I emailed and checked it was suitable etc and agreed to buy the rig, the seller then upped the price by a few hundred dollars. I thourght it was unethical but I'm presuming because I was so fast acting when the ad went up they thourght it would generate a lot of interest therefore upped the price. To me it couldve been handled better.
As for the fact that you buy things off the internet and dont get to see them I dont think it's unreasonable to ask a rigger to check a parachute is in good repair before you use it, after all it saves your life and if theres nothing wrong with it then why would somebody mind it being inspected? Karnage Krew is probably a reputable company but what about Joe Bloggs who cant even be bothered to fill in his profile? I'll just add on to that, it does matter if your own rigger inspects it, anybody could tell me it's been inspected by a rigger but how do I know that? Life experience has taught me never to take anybodys word for anything and if you need something doing to do it yourself.

why would somebody mind it being inspected?

I have sold a canopy on these classifieds and I did not have it inspected by a rigger. I had two people who wanted to buy it, one wanted to work the deal thru his rigger and one said just send it to me after I send you the MO... so, the person who was willing to deal with less hassle to me got it. Yes, he was at more risk but I know that you can trust me:)

If someone has no profile filled out its a red flag for scam .And even then i ran into a scam artist a couple years ago who had a super nice vector for sale for way to cheap .I contacted some people on the forums about the deal because the price was to low (to good to be true) .Found out they had stolen another reputable skydivers identity and user name account etc etc etc... So be careful !
:)

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Remember: patience. You are going about things the right way, it just may take some time to get all of the ducks in a row so that you finally get a rig.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!