Gawain

NEWS FLASH - Update on Recovery and Milestone

Well, I won't beat around the bush with it:

This afternoon, I was able to stand up for the first time in a month, with the help of a prosthesis on my left leg. My right ankle was being augmented by support from parallel bars (broken ankle not allowed to bear weight, but I know that by accident my arms let up), but it was still me.

After being in bed and wheel chairs for a month, I can tell you that it was a great change. Hell yeah! All positive, especially after being in bed for a long ass time.

There were some negative feelings that ultimately came along with this, among them, the friggin prosthetic leg is heavier than I thought (by a noticeable margin we'll say). Also, it made me miss my real leg for the first time since I was flown out of Iraq. That was difficult to bear, but not impossible. Final negative, I don't "get" the leg until Monday, so I couldn't grab some crutches and "play" during the weekend. Who'd know, right? :)

Progress is indeed swift according to many. I'm also on outpatient status now, so if anyone has tried to reach me and failed, send me a PM so I can cover all the bases.

That's the news from here. Bitter-sweet in a way, but I now have a complete range of tangible objectives: master re-learning to walk with the prosthetic, continue healing the ankle and achieve full range of motion, and get back in the air (hopefully still being supported by one very patient, yet ready for business, yet very cool individual) upon my return to Fort Campbell.

Take care, and I'll let you know when I've started running too... :P

Blue skies,
Max
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You are such an amazing person! You have my respect and admiration.

Great job with your progress and please keep us posted on how you're doing. We need more people like you in this world.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

glad everything is coming along..... but remeber, let that ankle heal before ya start working it to much, sunshine didn't let her ankle heal long enough and now it gives her problems.. we don't want you ending up like sunny, for god's sake, we would so have to make fun of you while you drank smirnoff Razz.. lol... heal up the rest of the way fast dude...

Max,

Awesome! You have the numbers so feel free any time to give me a buzz, I am gonna break my own rule and carry the cell on the FTX next week.

Keep your progress steady, with your positive attitude and drive, I think you'll find it hard not to over do it:P. but as others said don't over do it so you'll be good to go for your return to the air.

And again to your wife, your an outstanding person and Max should take ya on a nice trip to a beach resort and let a cabana boy pamper ya! As an old fuddy duddy it is nice to see such support for a fellow "Screaming Eagle".
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Max,
I've never met you, but I am inspired by your drive and enthusiasm! You seem to take life as a full challenge and meet it head on! Not accepting to lose any chance or opportunity. The negative times might get your attention briefly, but then you're back in the fight without a hesitation. You are amazing!! And I truly belive that live will reward you for this motivation!

May you have all the love and support necessary to make it through this recovery time! And may the future bring you pride and honor with your journey.

Karen

That's awesome! Your progress is happening so fast. When Wm was learning to walk again, it took quite a while because he was atrophied so much. But you seem to be doing great! Keep up the good work. :)
According to one post - I hear you drink Smirnoff Razz. That is the saddest news I have ever heard. :D Can I intrest you in a good drink? If you like rasberries, try an Abita Purple Haze or top off good vodka (kettle One, Grey Goose) with Chamborde.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

That's awesome! Your progress is happening so fast. When Wm was learning to walk again, it took quite a while because he was atrophied so much. But you seem to be doing great! Keep up the good work. :)

I've been pretty fortunate to not have my muscles in my right leg atrophe too much (they have, believe me, compared to the machine I was in Iraq, I'm a Mr. Wimpy now). My ankle will keep me from getting their strength up for while. In the meantime, I can just watch and pinch a flab of skin on my leg and laugh.

According to one post - I hear you drink Smirnoff Razz. That is the saddest news I have ever heard. :D Can I intrest you in a good drink? If you like rasberries, try an Abita Purple Haze or top off good vodka (kettle One, Grey Goose) with Chamborde.

Actually, a Coca-Cola is all that is necessary. I can't drink alcohol...amazing isn't it. How do I survive... :S;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Amazing, Max! I was worried you'd have to wait longer for your prosthetic. I think it's interesting how you tackle your pain and your feelings in such an organized, military manner.

but I now have a complete range of tangible objectives: master re-learning to walk with the prosthetic, continue healing the ankle and achieve full range of motion, and get back in the air (hopefully still being supported by one very patient, yet ready for business, yet very cool individual) upon my return to Fort Campbell.

It makes me giggle because my mind works the same way - except for the fact that I'm a woman so all the crazy psycho tendancies creep into my thought processes at times!:ph34r:

Your wife is truly amazing as well. You two are the bomb-diggity!

Hugs to you both!
Ktbear

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here