vid666

separatable connector links - how to separate without the tool

If you're talking about L-Bar connector links, try loosening the screws on both sides to create a gap between the bottom of the screw and the recessed portion, securing the link in the center to hold it in place, then tapping the head of the screw alternating from one side to the other.

Or you could just send it to me and for the price of return shipping I will knock them loose with my uncle's link separator.
Arrive Safely

John

If you're talking about L-Bar connector links, try loosening the screws on both sides to create a gap between the bottom of the screw and the recessed portion, securing the link in the center to hold it in place, then tapping the head of the screw alternating from one side to the other.

Or you could just send it to me and for the price of return shipping I will knock them loose with my uncle's link separator.

yes, the lbars. and yes i have removed the screws and tried tapping them out - no luck ....

yes, the lbars. and yes i have removed the screws and tried tapping them out - no luck ....

As John mentioned, just back the 2 screws out a little, grasp the riser at the 4 pt. and smack the screw head agents a soft surface, such as hard wood. Alternate each smack becoming more aggressive each time. It will break free.

If that doesn’t work for you, get a small brass hammer or equivalent and smack the screw heads with it.

I could do it with my eyes closed.

Jeff

I think you've misunderstood slotperfects instructions.
Put the screws back in all the way, then back them out 1-2 turns and rest the link on the screw heads on a wood block or other firm but soft surface. Then with a plastic or wood mallet tap on the screw heads alternating sides until you've loosened up the link.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

When we removed some that had been installed 20 years on a PC I backed the screws out about 2 turns and used a big bench vise with some soft aluminum jaws so as not to damage the l-bar housing. Also important to make sure you don't unscrew it too many turns or you will just destroy the threads.

I also found that a transfer punch fit inside the screw hole to knock them apart. It's tough to do without damaging the lines so I found the vise squeeze trick worked the best.

-Michael

thanks to all who gave hints. I combined them into a pretty efficient tool-less method.

I used a ratchet strap and 2 fixed anchor points (2 trees would work fine). tied one end of the link to one anchor point ,and tied the strap to the other anchor end. backed the screws out half way. Then I tensioned the strap (the links did not move at all !!!) then tapped the screws a few times - worked like a charm, and obviously no damage was caused.

hope this will helps

I always used the back the screws out trick. but put on head on the table. Then rotate the link as vertical as possible. a smack or to should do it. I also made a wedge out of 1/8 stainless or regular steel. .It was about 2 inches high and over 2 at the bottom with both sides tapering in to the inside dimensions of the link. with slightly radiused corners. Put the link flat on the table stand the tool vertically between the sides and smack it down . If you arent good at pounding nails other than the ones on your finger tips you can make the 2 inches taller . it works great even on PC center lines joining the links. Be glad you didnt have solid links to get lines off of