henrik.anderson

Going Crossbraced

I'm going XB and would like some input.
I have jumped velo 120 for a like 100 jumps.
my experience from that was bad openings (no cutaway)
Great flying.
So what I would like from a xb is great flying and great opening at least ok openings.
It seams like Xaos-27 would do it?!?
I figure the size 108 of the Xaos would be nice =WL 2,0-2.1

Any idea?

And when I'm at it would 22" risers be right?

I have a limited experiance with Xaos 27 cell, which is to say I bought one a put about 50 jumps on it. The 27 cell has this one issue that sometimes when it opens the end cells inflat while the middle of the canopy is deflatted and the end cells fly together ( creatings a fortune cookie shape). If stable (not spinning either way) all you have to do is pump the rear risers and the canopy fully inflates. I have had this small fortune cookie shape start spinning up and it spins up pretty quickly (I kicked out of it but before I could pop the rear risers it spun up the other way) I eventually got it open.
There is a way to pack to avoid this happening, expose the center three cells and just fold the other three cell either side back 180°. I found this would keep the canopy from doing the fortune cookie thing but I always ended up with a very fast 360° turn on openning to which ever side inflated last.
After flying it for 50 jumps I did not feel comfortable with the opennings enought to put it as my main rig (which I wingsuit with).I loved the performance of the Xaos 27 cell after it was open(light front riser pressure, great dive, fast turns) What I stayed with is a VX. Packed properly it always opens nice and in line twist it flys straigtht.
Kirk

THe best opening crossbraced canopy I've ever jumped has been the Xaos 21. However I find that I like the way the Xaos 27 flys better and the opening are almost as nice.

When packing, the sider does not need to be quartered very much, and the opening should be smooth.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The only time I've had a problem with a Velo opening poorly is when the bag was too tight or too loose for the canopy size. Beyond that I've had nothing but good openings with Velos. Did you talk to PD about your opening problems? Was it a demo canopy or someone's canopy you were borrowing? Are you sure the line trim was right?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The only time I've had a problem with a Velo opening poorly is when the bag was too tight or too loose for the canopy size. Beyond that I've had nothing but good openings with Velos. Did you talk to PD about your opening problems? Was it a demo canopy or someone's canopy you were borrowing? Are you sure the line trim was right?

The linetrim was right, the D-bag was very/extremely small. That might have been the reason. I loved flying that thing, hated the openings.

About the riserlenght, I found that as long as you reaches the slider its right, kind of. So I will probably change my 18" to 22".

Basically, riser length is whatever you prefer and reach when going longer. I have 25" risers and like it a lot better then the 21" risers I used to have. Anything shorter then 21" for me and I feel cramped.

Basically, riser length is whatever you prefer and reach when going longer. I have 25" risers and like it a lot better then the 21" risers I used to have. Anything shorter then 21" for me and I feel cramped.

I have to try some out, but its more comfort then flight characteristics. My rigg came with this short ones, but now its time to replace them.
Tnx.

Comfort is important, but I noticed a definate performance increase from the longer risers. 25" is about the limit I'm comfortable with for me and my arm length, but different people obviously prefer different lengths. The longer the riser the farther away your toggles are and the longer stroke you've got, etc.

I have 2 98 xaos 21's and love them openings are by far the best i've ever seen and they swoop like hell.I had about 50 or so jumps on a 108 1st and went a bit smaller . I have a wing loading of about 2.55 to 1 on these 98's..

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I have gotten the "forturn cookie" deloyment quite a few time on my Xaos 27, but it never caused it to spin up on me. I found a posting here suggesting that when your packing just before you wrap the tail around make sure the centre cells comes out further than the slider. I started doing this and while it hasn't solved the problem entirely it has reduced how often it happens.
Side note, the xaos 27 is the only crossbraced I ever jumped but it is the nices opening canopy I have every jumped.