frenchcloud

undecided about the size i should take...

Ok i need some advice here. I do know that most of you will tell me 'get a demo!' but it looks like i can t (in France)
I want to switch from my safire2 to crossfire2.
i ve got 800 jumps on the 139 and i dont know whether i should get 129 or 119 for the crossfire2....
people keep telling me these canopies need weight under them. i m 220 lbs fully equiped. which one should i choose?

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

I do know that most of you will tell me 'get a demo!' but it looks like i can t (in France)

The demo request form on the Icarus Canopies website has options of "United States" and "Europe" for the location field. Have you asked them?

In case you're looking at other models, too, I don't know about PD. They seem to be US only, but I could be wrong.

A lot of PD dealers have a "PD democenter" where they keep canopies all the time. I don't know about icarus, but have you asked them?

Regarding the size, you have to feel what you find to be most comfy. There shouldn't be a problem going down to a 119, BUT you must take time and jumps on it. Like the fist 10 jumps, just focus on how the canopy feels etc and landing. Do hop'n pops from full altitude. If you don't want that, go big...
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Get the 129.

You'll be going to a much more aggressive planform, and a 1.7 loading is perfectly acceptable for the Crossfire. At that loading you will be able to learn a huge amount about high performance canopy flight, and retain a little more margin for error. The canopy will do all that you ask of it and when you decide then to transition again to a smaller size or two, the 129 will be very easy to sell as it's a popular size.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Get a demo;)

Assuming your home DZ is correct your are only 350km from Empuria and it appears they have both sizes available for hire for 10EUR per day.

http://www.skydiveempuriabrava.com/shop_programa_demo.php?id=2

BTW I have 450 jumps on a crossfire 2 at a 1.7 WL and for me its great. I'm not planning on downsizing anytime soon. I don't think it needs a 1.8 WL, I think people mean it still flys well with a 1.8 WL.

>I want to switch from my safire2 to crossfire2.

Mind if I ask why? I actually like the Safire2 more than the Crossfire2 in many ways.

well i do love my safire2. thing is, i sometimes have a hard opening which i ve heard never happens with the crossfire. also i ve been told i could take smaller with a crossfire because it gives a lot of lift. i just felt like changing, downsizing and have nothing but slooooow openings. i have 7 pounds on my head on every single jump.
am i gonna be disappointed...?

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

>thing is, i sometimes have a hard opening which i ve heard never
>happens with the crossfire.

Hmm. I think both canopies have hard openings on (rare) occasions, but I've had good luck overall with both.

>also i ve been told i could take smaller with a crossfire because it gives a
>lot of lift.

This I definitely would disagree with! Most people's canopy size limits, in practical terms, have nothing to do with lift. Every modern canopy out there has enough lift to land you safely. What limits most people is their ability to stay "ahead" of the canopy even when the shit hits the fan (i.e. you get cut off during your planeout, or realize you're about to land downwind.) And more lift doesn't help much with that.

In any case, I would recommend demoing both. If you currently have a 139 safire, try a 129 safire, then a 129 crossfire. That way if you just have a wonky 139 you'll get a better feel for what the safire can do.