htrammel

PAL vs NTSC Video Format

We have a DVD that Kelicopter bought from BBC America only to find out it is in PAL format and has not been/ will not be produced in NTSC format. The video companies that we've contacted all refuse to convert it because of copywriite stuff. Not trying to steal anything, we just want to be able to watch it on our DVD player. No intention of selling copies.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can convert this damn thing?

Don't convert the disc, convert your DVD player. Not only is the disc PAL, it will also be region coded for the European market.

Google 'region hack' for info, most region hacks enable Pal/NTSC changeover.

Otherwise you may be looking at DVD ripping software, again a quick google will let you know what is out there, assuming you have access to a DVD burner.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

> Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can convert this damn thing?
Yes indeed.
Apart from following the suggertion of our friends, that is, to try to "convert" your "region locked" DVD players into a "region free" DVD player. But do not take it for granted that it is automatic that ANY "region locked" DVD player can be transformed into a "region free" DVD player by a simple hack done with own remote control.
Some "region locked" DVD player can be simply hacked into "region free" DVD player. Just try to look for "insert-your-type-of-DVD-player region hack" and see if you are lucky.
If not, there always exists the possibility to convert your PAL DVD into a NTSC DVD.
Firstly, you must have access to somew software that is capable of allowing you to do "personal use copies", which could be DVDDecrypter and/or DVDShrink.
1) Look for SUPER Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer, I am NOT sure if you can do the PAL-NTSC DVD conversion, but definitely SUPER is an outstanding freeware tool for convert any video format into any other video format
2) Look for VSO DivXToDVD: latest version is payware but look for older version which is freeware: I didn't use it myself but I read that it is indeed used for PAL-NSTC conversion. And, thinking a little bit better about DivXToDVD, I successfully used it to convert DivX NTSC into DVD PAL, so it "should" work successfully into the PAL-NTSC conversion thing.
Good luck :)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com