ccowden

New Presidential Helicopter

I work near the Lockheed Martin plant that just got the bid for the new Presidential helicopter project and they test in at the airport across the river from me, so I snapped a couple shots.

Anyway- if you're interested........

Reallly cool pics. And if the Secret Cervix is listening...

Thanks for the pics man! Now I know what to AIM at!
:D:D

Does anyone know why the blade tips are wider than the rest of the blade shaft down to the hub? I don't think I've ever seen helicopter blades like that before.

The tips are not "thicker" but swept back. I think it's to quiet it down and relieve some aerodynamic stresses. A lot of U.S. 4-bladed helo's use them. Blackhawks, seahawks, Apaches. . .ect.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

if i remember correctly it makes the airflow on the tips of the blades subsonic somehow and makes it quiet like blue thunder. :P
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

why doesn't it have a bulls eye painted on it??

Are you bucking for a visit from the Secret Service? ;)

Does anyone know why the blade tips are wider than the rest of the blade shaft down to the hub? I don't think I've ever seen helicopter blades like that before.

Has to do with reducing turbulence at the tip thus reducing vibration throughout the entire blade.

This has been another episode of useless information I learned from TV.

Also reduces "rotor slap"; the "wop-wop-wop" sound that the blades make.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Would'nt it piss you off if you grossed $56,000 last year and brought home only $25,000 and it all went to taxes? It just burns my ass every time I look at my paystub.

You need to talk to a good tax man. I'll give you the number to mine if you want. But you are getting really screwed if the numbers you put up are correct.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

It is nice to know that our president is to good a man to fly in a smaller more economical heli that probably costs about 4 times less and would be harder to hit in the event that someone tried to shoot him down. Nice to know that my hard earned taxes are providing him with the luxury that he needs to make decisions that seem to find a way to raise prices on everything.....>:(

Um, yeah..... I just thought it was a cool helicopter and kinda neat that I happen to work right next to where they are testing it.

God forbid the leader of the nation has a cool helicopter to fly in. I mean, WE all certainly never live above our means!:S

Did Uncle Sam take almost 60% of your earnings last year? and the year before? That is the reason I work 70 to 80 hours a week and only get to make an occasional jump. I'm not saying that being president is an easy job. I am just saying that they could make taxes a little bit easier to swallow on us single guys. Watching your friends who make roughly the same amount that I do drive nice vehicles and have tons of money just because they are married kinda gets to you after awile. I am tired of skinning my knuckles working on trucks that help produce the gas you use and not getting much of anything for it. I am tired of seeing our tax dollars wasted when they could save a few dollars here and there.

I think you have confused myself for some rich guy:S

It's not really a secret, but somehow I doubt I am supposed to be snapping and posting pictures on the internet.;)

Warning! The next time that you see Cowden's Picture, it may be on a milk carton! :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

It's not really a secret, but somehow I doubt I am supposed to be snapping and posting pictures on the internet.;)

Warning! The next time that you see Cowden's Picture, it may be on a milk carton! :S

Yeah I hear they are gonna snatch him and force him to drink tequila and have sex with hookers until he confesses:P

Yeah I hear they are gonna snatch him and force him to drink tequila and have sex with hookers until he confesses:P

In that case... I will NEVER confess!:P

Your effective federal tax rate is 55%? Wow. I hope you live in a state with no state income tax.

Also, since we are going SC here, who was the first Pres to fly in a big cushy helo instead of being tossed by catapult into a net at his destination? I bet it was not the current one.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Looks like a -53 to me? What am I missing here?

You make me sick! :P

Confusing a 70,000 lb american piece of art with a 32,000 lb piece of eurocrap. A 53E could freaking lift an EH-101 off the ground! Actually I've seen a picture of that at work - a 53 carrying the remains of a crashed EH-101.

The S-92, which lost the competition to carry the US president, has won the VVIP role in many other countries. Hell, the queen of england flies in an S-76.

Dave

It is nice to know that our president is to good a man to fly in a smaller more economical heli that probably costs about 4 times less...

If he flew in a smaller helicopter, then you would bitch because he wasn't taking a Greyhound Bus. And if he took a Greyhound Bus, you would bitch because he wasn't on a moped.

I think some people missed his point. There was a competition for the new presidential helicopter and the larger, more expensive, european competitor won. The loser was Sikorsky, which has been flying the president for the last 50 years and already has the infrastructure in place needed to fill that role. The win for the EH-101 was probably politically driven, at least for the most part. It's not that the president shouldn't fly in an expensive helicopter, it's that there was a probably better (safer) helicopter, that is far cheaper to operate, that could have been selected.

Dave

Swept tips, BERP tips, etc. are all various methods of reducing blade-vortex interaction (BVI). Like somebody said above, that's the wop-wop noise you're used to hearing on Hueys and other square-tipped rotor systems. The idea is that the enhanced tip shape on these blades makes a wake which is either weaker or less likely to interact with the blade behind it. Helicopter blade tips typically operate in the transonic range, which is a funky flow regime that's not completely understood and also not easily modeled.

Lance