Zoter

Vortex 2..South African Shit??

...well thats how it has been described to me by an individual on another forum...who thinks most riggers would describe it this way....
Personally I disagree

I know a few people who have them...and have had them....( Jarno...you had one as well didnt you) and their experience seems to be the opposite.

If you have experience / knowledge as to 'why' they would be described this way....could you post it here?

First off, you should really consider a better heading for your post. It is offensive to all South Africans.
I suggest:
- Your opinions on Vortex II container
- Vortex II vs Javelin / Mirage / Vector
- etc

I have 2 x Vortex 2 harnesses that have done a combined 1200 jumps over the last 4 years. They work perfectly.
Wingsuit South Africa

I think Zoter's trying to get across the air of mindless prejudice that can sometimes descend on dropzones this side of the pond.

Around my way, Vortex IIs seem more common than Javs as secondhand rigs, and nobody seems to mind them at all.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

First off, you should really consider a better heading for your post. It is offensive to all South Africans.

I considered it before I posted it.
Please dont take offence...

This was the description given to me, a description of which I strongly disagree with as Ive seen these rigs, and know of people who have them....and they certainly are not described in any way bad !

Read the context of the title ...( did you miss the question marks ?) and the content of the post...

Its a question ( and described pretty much exactly as it was given to me)...nothing more or less.

I have 2 x Vortex 2 harnesses that have done a combined 1200 jumps over the last 4 years. They work perfectly.

This is in line with the only opinions I know of this container as well....thankyou

I would not quite phrase it that way....

There are a handful of Vortex 2s jumping in British Columbia.
Materials and workmanship are first rate.
... though I do grumble about a couple of design choices.

First, the reserve side flaps are too tight - similar to some of the smaller Wings, etc. - making them difficult to pack. I had to pack a half-dozen Vortexes until they started to look pretty.

Secondly, last year I was asked to patch a Vortex main deployment bag that lacked webbing across the mouth. In the same area, all the other manufacturers use Type 12 webbing (1200 pounds) or 1.5 inch wide Type 4 tape (1500 pounds).

I think they area fine rig. Not the hottest on looks IMO, but who cares? Don't expect it to hold a great resale value in the States as they don't have much of a market share here yet.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Personally I love my Vortex II but I do think people that don't like the rig, don't like them due to customer service.

I've only dealt with parachute systems once and it wasn't the smoothest process but I have heard some horror stories in terms of customer service.

This accident seems to me as a "Soft-Reserve-Handle-Pull-Force" or so problem. And also a good example for the need to put AAD´s into rigs...Perhaps I am wrong, because my english is not so good...:$
But I feel that this accident example is "not fair" to vote for or again this rig... People died also with other quality rigs...[:/]

I think you are partially right but I also think there are big differences on soft ripcords. Ripcord is not just a ripcord. It has a lot to do with its design in terms of safety. And there are big differences even in the ripcord designs (includign housings etc) between different manufacturers.

I think you are partially right but I also think there are big differences on soft ripcords. Ripcord is not just a ripcord. It has a lot to do with its design in terms of safety. And there are big differences even in the ripcord designs (includign housings etc) between different manufacturers.

All "suspected contributors", you fail to menition tha other "possible" factors

1. The low cut-away altitude.
2. The "low feel factor" of a soft pillow reserve handle, and/or it's high pull force when not peeled (measured 14lbs), but pulled straight out with right hand (measured from 20 to 30 lbs to different straight directions).
3. The built of the jumper, that may have contributed to not seeing/locating the reserve handle.
4. Possibly numbness in the jumpers hands, as the zero celsius altitude was estimated to be in 5000ft, and the jumper wore partly broken gloves.

Vortex II are very well made rigs, outside the USA they are a LOT more popular
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?