pBASEtobe

Gear Price - Selling

Can you all help me out here? I’ve got some gear I’m thinking about selling but don’t know what it’s worth. I’ve been out of the sport for almost 8 years now.

I’ve got a Javelin NJ, PD-126R and a Sabre 107. This is a first generation Sabre as I now know they make Sabre II’s. DOM for all is Jan. ’97 I bought it brand new and only put 32 jumps on it before I had my motorcycle accident that took me out of the sport. The gear has been sitting at the bottom of my closet in a box since. It’s in excellent condition and I have all the manuals for everything as well.

The container is a pull-out with a kill-line collapsible PC (no new fancy window on the bridle which I think is standard now-a-days). The harness is for someone around 5’-7”, is non-articulated and has soft cutaway cable housings. Also, many years ago I think there was some service bulletin that said something about one of the grommets on the closing flaps needed to be replaced due to possibility of lines getting caught on them. I never had this done.

***side note, can someone give me more info on this bulletin, I’d like to be able to convey this to the next owner of the gear***

What else do you need to know?

I’d like to get some opinions on what this gear is worth.

Thanks!

The PD reserve is worth $750-$800 ish.

The main will be a tough sell. It is the last generation Sabre, and it's a smaller size, so you'll be selling to an experienced jumper. Most current experienced jumpers will be wanting a newer design. Maybe shoot for about the same as the reserve, you might find a die-hard Sarbre fan who needs a fresh canopy.

The Jav will need the grommet SB, but that's an easy job, that shouldn't cost too much, less than $50.

The soft housings will probably need to be replaced with hard housings. I don't think it's mandatory, but it's a really good idea. I think that runs about $150 between parts and labor.

The pull out might be an issue. Most folks are jumping throw outs, and you may have an eaiser time selling the rig if it was a throw out, or at least discounted to cover the cost to switch it over to a throw out. Figure on $40 for a BOC pouch, and $100-ish for a new PC.

So the bad news is that right off the top, the Jav needs $300-$350 put into it. So maybe if you try to get $700 for it, someone can get a mint Jav for $1000 total.

See what other have to say for sure. Be sure to put the harness size in the ad if you post the Jav for sale (it's on the rig somewhere, it's a letter and a number like C-16 or C-17).

I would suggest not trying to sell the rig complete. You'll have better luck finding one guy who needs the PDR and another who needs the Jav, then thrying to find one guy who need exactly what you have.

[T]here was some service bulletin that said something about one of the grommets on the closing flaps needed to be replaced due to possibility of lines getting caught on them. I never had this done.

***side note, can someone give me more info on this bulletin, I’d like to be able to convey this to the next owner of the gear***

SPSB 03032000 Rev B, modification of main closing loop retainer. For your Javelin, this involves adding a piece of light webbing to cover the grommet. About 1/2-hour's work, $25 - $30.

Sunpath says the modification is "recommended" but not "mandatory" for your Javelin. You should have it done anyway.

Mark

The main will be a tough sell.

I knew it would be.

The Jav will need the grommet SB

The soft housings will probably need to be replaced with hard housings.

I’m going to try selling it without doing all those modifications first. I don’t feel like trying to get it all done myself seeing as how I’ve been out the sport for a while, don’t have/know a rigger and live pretty far from one too. I’ll just sell everything cheaper and state it needs work.

Be sure to put the harness size in the ad

I plan on putting all the info in the ad. I think all that info is in the manuals. I just don’t have those with me now.

Thanks for the help!

If I had the cash I'd be PMing you to see about buying for a 2nd rig... it's hard to find gear built in my size (5'7", 135).

If I made an offer, it'd be for the Jav and PDR only, and at $1200ish... agreed that the PDR is worth about $750, but I don't see the Jav being worth over $450 given the work it needs.

I see most Sabre1's going in the $500 range, you might be able to get a little more since yours is so new but I doubt it. I wouldn't buy it because it's a bit small and because I too have an old-school Sabre 135 sitting in my closet that needs a rig;). But again I agree that'll be the hard part to sell... almost anyone interested in flying a 107 would be looking for a stiletto/katana/velocity type of canopy these days, and you'd have to find someone who's either nostalgic or on a budget or both.

Good luck.

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."