fcajump

Does your DZ require seatbelt use?

In post comments, please indicate what country you're in.

While I would REALLY like to have a list of which DZ's do/don't, I am NOT asking nor encouraging anyone to out their DZ for non-compliance.

JW

PS - from my experience: attempt at 100% enforcement from DZ and peers, have seen the plane wait until issues are sorted out - Skydive Orange, VA, USA
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

As I said, I am NOT asking for DZ names (especially of non-compliance) and I would remind any FAA that many of our posters are from around the world. Pure votes do NOT reflect USA/FAA compliance as the persons local DZ could be anywhere.

PERSONALLY, I would like such a list, but know that the potential for abuse is too high.

JW

I've jumped at a fair number of US dropzones (not as many as some, but more than a couple). In my experience, every dropzone I have ever been at has had nearly universal compliance with seat belt use. Any time I've seen issues it has been incidental (a jumper really struggles to find and fix seatbelt before taxiing) and not systematic.

I'm not naive and I know that is not the case everywhere, but it has been everywhere I have been.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Svenjohan

I don't know how it is with other planes in Sweden but in our DZ's Cessna 206 all skydivers counts as cargo and therefore we don't have any seatbelts

Not your personal fault of course.

But in any modern aviation industry, even cargo has to be strapped down to keep it from shifting. G-load requirements may or may not be high but retention is necessary.

Svenjohan

"The pilot wears one, but its the only one I've seen installed"
I don't know how it is with other planes in Sweden but in our DZ's Cessna 206 all skydivers counts as cargo and therefore we don't have any seatbelts

All cessnas (182's and 206's) I know over here dont have seatbelts... and considering the fact most dropzones here operate on small cessnas, yeah, not seatbelts seens around here...

Alexis_C

[France] "The pilot wears one, but its the only one I've seen installed"
Do Pilatus PC-6 Porter planes with seatbelt for skydivers even exist ?

Yes. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Blis

*** "The pilot wears one, but its the only one I've seen installed"

All cessnas (182's and 206's) I know over here dont have seatbelts... and considering the fact most dropzones here operate on small cessnas, yeah, not seatbelts seens around here...

Well, it is not required to have seatbelts on a small jump plane, under 11 jumpers. Seatbelts are used on Cessna Caravans.

Once we had a light load on a Caravan. Someone told than we hadn't have to use seat belts, because of the size old our load.:S I think our reaction was telling him to shut up and buckle up.

At our DZ we had an incident where the plane was went down into a field right after take off. The "crash" landing itself was quite soft, but the pilot was crushed in between the instruments and his seat by two skydivers not wearing their seatbelts. Needless to say we all wear them now. Same goes all around Norway, regardless of Cessna, Porter, PAC or Twin otter.

riggerrob

When jump-planes don't have enough seat-belts, I cheat by clipping tandem student side straps to cargo rings. When seat-belt fittings are too small to accept QE Snaps, I cheat by slipping in Maillon Rapide 6 connector links.

I cheat by not getting on the aircraft.

I wonder what the pilot would say when you tell him he can't use a belt if you can't?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

TommyBotten

At our DZ we had an incident where the plane was went down into a field right after take off. The "crash" landing itself was quite soft, but the pilot was crushed in between the instruments and his seat by two skydivers not wearing their seatbelts. Needless to say we all wear them now. Same goes all around Norway, regardless of Cessna, Porter, PAC or Twin otter.

This. Does each country have to have its own Perris crash to appreciate the risk?

Andy9o8

This. Does each country have to have its own Perris crash to appreciate the risk?

Based on some of the international results... unfortunately, this may be true.

I would suggest to those at DZ's ANYWHERE in the world... while the laws of government maybe different, the laws of physics are not. Please push for the installation and proper use of seat belts. As someone else mentioned, even cargo gets strapped down, and in a crash all you are is cargo that's going to crush or be crushed.

We, the industry, have proven that they save lives.

And we in the US (and elsewhere I'm sure) have proven that even hard-headed, independent rebels CAN adopt seat belt use.

When it was first required at my DZ, they would "NEVER be used" and "NO ONE will use them!"... A year later, they were standard procedure. It can be done.

If the price of knowledge is blood, OK. But can we stop please repeating the lesson??

JW

When riding in single-engined Cessna's, the first restraining method involves routing the regular seat-belt between your belly and the harness.
The second method involves buying skydiver-compatible belts from Hooker Harness. Route the male end of a Hooker under the hip of your parachute harness and clip it into the female hardware. Grab the strap end and remove slack.
If civil aviation authorities refuse to allow you to install Hooker belts, ask them why they have learned nothing after 1992!