danielshadwick

A Strange situation

>I don't believe it would be possible to determine that there have been more
>lives saved by an RSL than taken by one. Strictly from a statistical standpoint,
>it would be improper to credit each and every successful RSL activated reserve
>deployment as a save.

Of course. And people don't report all their RSL saves. However, there is a distressingly large number of people in the fatality reports who cut away and never open their reserve, or whose AAD opens it too low to be of use. These are the people who would have almost certainly been saved if they had used an RSL.

Likewise, there have been people who have been killed by RSL's. (Or more accurately were in fatal incidents where an RSL didn't help and may have made the situation worse.) However, that number is FAR lower than the number of RSL saves.

A while back I did a count and the ratio was on the order of 6 to 1, but I am sure it has changed since then. To me, that means that you are 6 times more likely to have an RSL save your life than have an RSL contribute to your demise.

>and there really is no supporting evidence to PROVE that the RSL has saved
>more lives than it has taken.

The fatality reports here on DZ.com are a good place to start. In 2005, for example, there were 6 fatalities that might have been prevented with an RSL, and 1 where it may have been a contributing factor.

That does seem like a reasonable conclusion to come to. You are right, there is a great likelihood that the cutaways with no pull would have been saved by an RSL. I have an RSL on my rig and believe that in most situations with will increase the safety of my jump.

I don't think I explained what I was trying to get across very well as I am an avid supporter of the RSL and think that everyone should have one, disconnecting it only when necessary for CRW or camera work. I guess what I was getting at was that in many cases where an RSL activates the reserve deployment upon cutaway, I don't know that every situation should be counted as a "save" because of the unknown factor of what would have happened without it. I DO however agree that the RSL has worked in most cases to do exactly what it was designed to do and could have saved far more people than we may ever know.

Looking at the fatalities which would likely have been prevented by an RSL vs the number of fatalities where an RSL likely contributed is a great way of weighing the odds and making a decision. Thanks for the reply
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

It really is a matter of taking care of your gear. There was a jumper at my DZ that realized after a day of jumping that one of their cutaway loops had been worn down to only a few threads. There was a very real possibility of it breaking on opening or an aggressive landing. Also while the 3 ring reduces the forces greatly you must also consider other possible forces acting on it. Such as abrasions due to riser strikes, snags on helmets, excessive line twists. I think it is prudent to say that the loop can fail. If someone is not at all worried about it then there is a real chance they may never look it and never check it. With an extra 60 days on the pack cycle, being vigilant with even the most "minor" things is more important than ever.

Just my 2.491234 cents
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I agree, gear maintenence should be a priority for every jumper. About a year ago, while inspecting my own gear I found that a small burr in the grommet on my left side riser (RSL side) was abraiding the loop. A situation that could've led to a malfunction similar to the one the OP described. That set of risers were grounded.
Just once I'd like to be called "sir", without someone adding "you're inciting a riot".